What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Funny plant Fiancee ran across years ago

• Thread starter Kate
  • Start date

Kate

Far too old to grow up now.
Hi,

My fiancee keeps telling me about this plant he ran across several years ago, he really wants to know what it is called.

Apparantly it is rather short, solid short stock, lots of woody vines with lots (masses) of thick thorns. Bark was brownish red, thorns are blackish red. when you touch it one of its branches all the vines/branches curl tightly around the spot that was touched.

Any Ideas??

T.I.A.

Mae

Wow. I will look into it, though you are likely to get a response from someone else soon enough.

I know that this is the right forum for this question, but it is not the busiest and so you may want to post to General.

Steve

Never heard of it... Sounds a bit 'outthere' don't you think?
confused.gif

Quote (Parasuco @ Sep. 12 2002,05:40)"QUOTE">Never heard of it... Sounds a bit 'outthere' don't you think?
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]
Yes--it sounds fictional, and that has been my assumption as I look, having failed to find anything so far among actual plants, (though I am trying there too). I mean, it isn't carnivorous or we'd know about it and everyone here would be trying to grow it, and it isn't a cat's claw mimosa, so I'm thinking it's a memory from a movie or TV concatenated with something real.

Interesting to me was that I also remember this plant, as described--now what crap B-grade sci-fi show or movie was it? Land of the Lost? Star Trek? Dr. Who? I shudder to think, and I quake to consider my wasted, Comic Book Guy-like existence.

Steve
Chicago Bears 1-0

Last edited by a moderator:
Crown of thorns has quite a lot of thorns, and grows in an odd shape, but I can't say that it has vines... Its really a creepy looking plant though...

Parasuco,
Isn't crown of thorns a starfish?
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Parasuco @ Sep. 15 2002,4:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Crown of thorns has quite a lot of thorns, and grows in an odd shape, but I can't say that it has vines... Its really a creepy looking plant though...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
COT isn't touch-sensitive, is it?

Steve

Chicago Bears 2-0

No it isn't touch sensitive..
truth is, this mystery plant sounds more like something out of a movie than anything else..

Sound like a good-old fashioned Dungeons and Dragons monster. The poor hapless hero is separated from the party and wandering around alone in a dark thicket when he is pricked by a thorn - he turns around...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ Sep. 16 2002,11:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Parasuco,
    Isn't crown of thorns a starfish?
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
It's that too.

Nope, not a movie, real plant, been varified by his father who has neither seen a movie or read a book in his life (boring old fart) and several other people, including the people who owned the property with the plant growing on it. They tell me they have pictures, and are looking for them. it really does exist.

Quite truthfully I don't doubt it does exist, since moving to florida a year ago I have seen some REALLY weird flora! Also for the sci-fi/fantasy fans who have read Piers Anthony's Xanth series this plant will sound familiar as the basis for the "Tangle Tree" and if you've read the author's notes in the first few of the series he says that all the plants are based on native florida flora...

Thanks anyway, I will keep looking

Mae

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maehem @ Sep. 25 2002,10:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nope, not a movie, real plant, been varified by his father who has neither seen a movie or read a book in his life (boring old fart) and several other people, including the people who owned the property with the plant growing on it. They tell me they have pictures, and are looking for them. it really does exist.

Quite truthfully I don't doubt it does exist, since moving to florida a year ago I have seen some REALLY weird flora! Also for the sci-fi/fantasy fans who have read Piers Anthony's Xanth series this plant will sound familiar as the basis for the "Tangle Tree" and if you've read the author's notes in the first few of the series he says that all the plants are based on native florida flora...

Thanks anyway, I will keep looking

Mae[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Please post back here when you know.

I think the movie I am thinking of is "Konga."

STeve

why don't you show us a picture of it , this sounds interesting , although it really sounds like a sensitive plant .

I don't have a picture unfortuantely.. wish I did, I personally have never seen this plant, just talked to ALOT of people who have... am now trying to get ahold of the current property owners to see if the one everyone else saw is still there, hopefully it is and hopefully they will let me go see it and take some pics....

Really sounds like a sensitive plant. Im not sure where i heard it, but i think there isa rather large bush like sensitive plant in asia (?). I think fatboy mentioned it. Maybe seeds were planted....

At first I thought senstivie plant too, 18 hours of research, (and talking to 3 botanists) later, I am 99% sure it wasn't any of the sensitive plant variety....

To to worry though, I will find it, and when I do I will make sure everyone here is the first to know what it is!!

Two things I sugest.
1. New spiecies that for whatever the reson lives in a very small area and was wiped out in most of it's range by farmers when the US was just started.
2. Have you looked into the plant-like kingdoms? You may have something that isn't really a plant but a member of one of the other 15 or so kingdoms of living things. Also, you might want to look at some of the less well known groups of plants such as mosses and ferns. These plants can get very big and plenty of them are sensitive. I live in MI and we had a fern here that would grab you if you touched it, but I can't remember what my mom called it. Now days that plant is nere impossible to find in the wild so don't give up your serch!
...Oh one more thought, see if you can fined data on extinct plants, sometimes they turn out not to be
wink.gif

I hope you figure out what it is now because i am getting to highper just waiting to figure out what it is although it sounds alot like a sensitive plant , keep askin and try to go to the place that your fiancee say it . how long has it been already , it should be quite along while but I'm sure its still there . can you ask your fiancee to draw a sketch and be more specific about this plant .

Just a quick update. Had a bit of trouble locating the property, there has been alot of construction and rebuilding in the area. We have found the house... looks like the yard has been redone completely though... this is not looking promising. Also I am having trouble contacting the owners... I expect they are seasonal.

When I find any new info I will let everyoneknow.

Back