What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Funny plant Fiancee ran across years ago

• Thread starter Kate
  • Start date
did u figure out what the plant was , did you find a young specimens , did u find a pic , or is this a mumbo jumbo ( just kidding i really want to know what this plant is ) .

If you can find such a plant, it would be quite a discovery.
A little off topic, I think there are only five Kingdoms of life, essentially they are

Monera-the bacteria
Protista-one celled organisms
Plants
Animals
Fungi

The latter three are self-explanetory. Life is fully categorized in the form of..
Kingdom-Phyllum-Class-Order-Family-Genus-Species

I am digging this from my BS in Biology from many years ago.

Regards,

Joe

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Griffin @ April 12 2003,03:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you can find such a plant, it would be quite a discovery.
 A little off topic, I think there are only five Kingdoms of life, essentially they are

Monera-the bacteria
Protista-one celled organisms
Plants
Animals
Fungi

The latter three are self-explanetory. Life is fully categorized in the form of..
Kingdom-Phyllum-Class-Order-Family-Genus-Species

I am digging this from my BS in Biology from many years ago.

Regards,

Joe[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Your a few years off, hang on I'll get my bio text (published last year, very up to date).  The Kingdoms of life are:
Diplomonadida
Parabasala
Euglenozoa
Alveolata
Stramenopila
Rhodophyta
Viridiplantea - used to be plantea
Mycetozoa
Fungi - used to be fungi
Animalia - used to be Animalia
Everything unlabled ^ used to be Protista
Everything  below used to be Monera (I don't have the full list of bacteria-like kingdoms, only those we know much about, sorry)
Proteobacteria Alpha
"" Beta
"" Gamma
"" Delta
"" Epsilon
Chlamydias
Spirochetes
Gram-positive bacteria
Cyanobacteria
Euryarchaeota
Crenarchaeota

The new ranking is (I'm not going to nit pick over the renaming of surtain levels or new levels added) But the above list sort of shows why we needed to make a new level lol. I mean, who the heck came up with the 5 kingdom thing? LOL Uh, plants, animals, fungi and erm all that other stuff.

Domain-Kingdom-Phyllum-Class-Order-Family-Genus-Species

darcie,
i know the fern your talking about in a post on this thred a while back .
it's a vine type of fern . it grows naturaly in your state although it is VERRY endangered.

it grows mainly in peat or bogs that was what i read anyways wish i had the webpage !!! LOL i'll look for it now

Well... It's official, the plant is lost. I finally got in contact with the current owners, they remember the plant, didn't think it was anything special and tore it out when they "cleaned up all that swappy, grassy, brambly stuff" in the back yard.

Anyone care to join me in sobbing? lol.

Not to worry though... If I am anything I am presistent (hubby calls it stubborn), If there was one plant,there could very well be more, and I will not rest until I find one!

never give up maehem , i bet you'll fine that plant and when you do i bet it will be named after you for your hard efforts of finding it . for examplae the coelacanth which was extinct billions of years ago came back and can be found today in the deep oceans of indonesia , ferns were prehistoric but they came bakc , smae thing with crocodiels and sharks .

No, they didn't come back. They just never went away in the first place.

Giles

I think the plant might be Shrankia nuttallii. According to the J.L. Hudson Seedsman website, it is found from South Dakota to Texas. The leaves close up when you touch it, and it has sharp thorns. It is a scrambling perennial 2-4 feet high.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (carcinos @ May 24 2003,03:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the plant might be Shrankia nuttallii. According to the J.L. Hudson Seedsman website, it is found from South Dakota to Texas. The leaves close up when you touch it, and it has sharp thorns. It is a scrambling perennial 2-4 feet high.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Unfortunately, that probably isn't correct, because that same plant has been renamed Mimosa nuttallii, or Catclaw Sensitive Briar, according to my updated version of Wildflowers of Texas, I remember reading about it about a week ago, because it's wildflower season in wildflower country!!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lithopsman @ May 24 2003,09:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (carcinos @ May 24 2003,03:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the plant might be Shrankia nuttallii. According to the J.L. Hudson Seedsman website, it is found from South Dakota to Texas. The leaves close up when you touch it, and it has sharp thorns. It is a scrambling perennial 2-4 feet high.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Unfortunately, that probably isn't correct, because that same plant has been renamed Mimosa nuttallii, or Catclaw Sensitive Briar, according to my updated version of Wildflowers of Texas, I remember reading about it about a week ago, because it's wildflower season in wildflower country!!!!  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hmm, I don't know, I think that is probubly it. It's not the same plant as the common Mimosa, it doesn't look the same.

following up on Darcie's post

The 5 kingdom phylogenetic (evolutionary history) system is outdated since Kingdom Monera and Kingdom Protista are polyphyletic, that is, they have grouped together organisms that are superficially similar (due to convergent evolution), but that don't share a most common ancestor. In other words, they look similar because they evolved similar methods of survival, but they're only distantly related. It's like saying that a shark and a dog are closely related because they are carnivores.

Kingdoms Protista and Monera used to be something like "trashcan" kingdoms, where you'd basically include in them what didn't fit into the other ones.

This phylosophy changed recently, and there's an ongoing effort to make an accurate phylogenetic tree of all the organisms on the planet. The problem is that there are so many different species of bacterias and protists that we might end up with 20 Kingdoms or more instead of 5. :S There's still a lot of controversy over all of this, but I think it's like arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. I'm certainly not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Just a though...

Joel

EDIT: Um, if I sound pompous, sorry about that.
alien.gif

carcinos:

Unfortunately no... not the plant. Tracked down a pic of it here and ran it past everyone who saw this plant first had... that's not it.

Thanks for trying though.. but remember that the entire branch curls not just the leaves.

I will keep looking... Onward and... well, onward anyway lol! Keep the suggestions comming though, I'm getting short on ideas.

You know, their are some big sundew that look thorny when they loose their dew and move quickly like that, have you looked at many of them? Also, see if your state has an on-line botinany listing and start a clicking through it
smile.gif

Ok, so it's not the mimosa, but hey, I tried... GOOD LUCK!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

i have also seen that catsclaw tree or wahtever it is down south carolina's and florida. it is a pretty tall tree and the leaves curl up when touched. i hav always heard it called the sensative tree.

cerius does have a good point , i'm starting to think that cats claw is the plant your family is talking about . alothugh i can'r seem why cerius is roflhao

Mimosa nuttallii Grows here in mo. too! It is growing in the dry part of our yard by the barbed wire fence.

meh...I was in a happy mood....felt like laughing...anyways
the only way to know what the plant is, is to get someone on who saw it..like..her husband and show him some pictures....

Back