What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leucophysalis

leucophysalis grows sticky leaves that catch small gnats and then tiny (1\8in.) assasin bugs eat the gnats (much in the matter of roridula). I don`t know if that classifys as a carnivore or not. I just found it growing in my yard one day and said "hey thats cool it`s like a roridula" and decided to up it out of the ground and start growing it in a pot. It flowers and seeds profusely and should be grown as a tomato. So is this a carnivore?

0k,I`m trying to post a pic here it goes...

bump
unclesam.gif

ok, can someone tell me what does 'bump' mean on the form? i keep seeing it everywhere and i am quite puzzled
rock.gif
. thanks. Zongyi

It means the person "bumped" the topic back to the top so that it wouldn't get buried under newer topics. Since you have to post something to bring a post back to the top you post the word 'Bump'.

very interesting pondboy. do you have any close-up pics of the plant eating a nat?

No,unfortunatley our camera isn`t very good.:(
Any ways an update: I`m letting it dry very well between waterings(short of killing it),and it is getting much stickier now and you can actually see drops of sticky fluid at the tips of the hairs on the stems leafs,and fruits!
The ones I grew from seed however are not yet produceing sticky fluid yet.
The mother plant(seen in the pic) Has stopped growing now but is much more sticky and is catching more flies.
It smells like a putrid mix of tomato and rotten meat.
In the wild these plants are very sticky yet in the house I can`t seem to get them stickier then a butterwort.
Still trying to work "the bugs" out of growing it.
Btw spec I have some fruits ripened and could send them to you so you can try to grow them.

I mean drying it but NOT killing it! What I said could be missinterpretted.

Back