What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is anyone growing Proboscidea  or Ibicella

Is anyone growing Proboscidea  or Ibicella, or know where I might come by some seed?  I would like to try again this season to grow these plants, and welcome any cultural advice as to how to best germinate the seed (I have had no luck with this) and how best to grow the plants.  I grew Ibicella once, and had no problem germinating the seeds, but that was before I heard how difficult they were to germinate.  Since then, not a single seed has germinated for me.

Hi Tamlin,

If you are looking for seeds let me know. I have plenty of Ibicella and 3 kinds of Proboscidea seeds. I get 100% germination of Ibicella with GA3 treatment. As for Proboscidea, just sow the seeds on a rich well-drained medium and cover with a bit of soil. Keep the seeds warm/hot and moist and they should sprout easily. The seeds of the Proboscidea cultivars lack the germination inhibitors. Grow these plants like watermelon: plenty of light, heat(at least during the day) and in large pots(or even better outdoors with unlimited root run). Fertilize regularly. It is best to try these outdoors when the weather is hot, as in the summer. Sadly, these plants are stickly for defensive purposes. My plants caught thousands of small flying insects and pests during the summer.

I attempted to grow ibicella lutea from seed many times and not a single seed ever germinated . i plan on trying again this spring . where do you get GA3 from ?

JL Hudson seeds carry GA3.

Hi Tamlin,
I grew a white seeded type this summer and could provide seeds if you are interested. The seed company I bought them from no longer carries the variety, but I lost the name.

DSC02194.JPG

And the seed company:

Native Seeds SEARCH

Peter

oops, sorry for the huge size
rock.gif

Edit: Ok, I fixed it.

Hi,

I am growing I. lutea the fourth year now. I start it from seeds every year at the beginning of April. I place the pots with the seeds in my greenhouse. The germination rate is only about 30%. As this plants become really big, i only keep one for me. If they have germinated, they are easy plants. As soil, i use normal potting soil. I fertilise it regularly. One plant will set seeds. I don't know, if they need to be pollinated. I'm growing mine outside, not only because of the very bad smell. If they are in flower, i can see lots of bees and bumblebees, that obviously pollinate the flowers.

Christian

Thank you all for the replies! My Ibicella grew in a 30 gallon substrate terrarium back in 1975, but it remained small, although it did flower! From what I have seen and read this is very atypical. I am really looking forward to trying these species this season, probably in my garden since this seems to be the best method.

For some garden pests, this would be close to murder. If they are insects***it would be insecticide! Don't worry Tamlin, I know some good agricultural lawyers, I'll get you off.

WOW! You can really see the simularity to pingiculia! Are proboscids other then I.lutea carnivorous as well?

I.lutea is not carnivorous though.

I thought they were proven carnivorous in the 30s.

they were thought to be carnivorous until barry rice rpved that they were'nt . still , they are interesting plants though , they have the qualities of being considered carnivorous but its not very likely , they just kill things and waste the lives of there prey and they are related to pinguicula , utricularia , genlisea in the lentibulariaceae genus .

Kinda like how my leucophysallis behaves then lol.

I grow I. lutea in my backyard! Well actually they just grow there by themselves. I just found them whenever we moved here. Didn't know what they were until I did some research. They grow where I live. In kindergarten we would always get the seed pods and run around and throw them at the girls because they would get scared!
laugh.gif
They are pretty neat plants. Just wish they were carnivorous. But yeah they grow all around here!

must be cool to have cps growing in the wilderness near you
isnt it annoying when your favorite plant is not in your hands? (your signature)

Yes it is annoying. And yeah, it is pretty cool how they grow around here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (goldtrap2690 @ Jan. 30 2004,12:54)]they were thought to be carnivorous until barry rice rpved that they were'nt . still , they are interesting plants though , they have the qualities of being considered carnivorous but its not very likely , they just kill things and waste the lives of there prey and they are related to pinguicula , utricularia , genlisea in the lentibulariaceae genus .
In this respect, they're quite similar to Petunias - which are also covered with sticky hairs for defensive purposes. I'm sure both plants (Petunia & Ibicella) get something from their prey, however, even without digestive enzyms. A few nutrients fom the bugs must seep into the leaves through bacterial decomposition - so I consdier these sort of plants to be at least semi-carnivorous.

They are also such good flycatchers that I often think it's a shame they aren't fully carnivorous! Petunias are often covered with small gnats and bugs, for example.

petunias are evil little plants
mad.gif
......i worked in a greenhouse for 5 spring seasons...cleaning up the petunias was the absolute WORST thing i ever did....sticky, dirty work

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 13 2004,5:01)]petunias are evil little plants
mad.gif
......i worked in a greenhouse for 5 spring seasons...cleaning up the petunias was the absolute WORST thing i ever did....sticky, dirty work
They're far stickier than Ping's or Droseras, aren't they? In fact, they're such excellent fly-catchers that it's a real shame they're not fully carnivorous! They'd probably be considered one of the best of the "glue-trap" carnivores if they were.

Back