What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P u !

• Thread starter SunPitcher
  • Start date
My devil's claw STINKS!!!!! Words can not describe what sting it brings upon entering my nostrils!!!! If you have one, smell it! Geezers! Eeeew! I've read about it and thought "Yeah, sure, rotting gym socks. Yeah right. It cant be that bad" But geezers! It hasn't even put a real leaf out yet! Just cotyleodn! EEeeeewwwww!!!!!
smile_t_32.gif

Just wait until they grow to be a 3' x 3' plant. You haven't smelled anything yet. The foul odor combined with the vicious seed pods. . . they really are Devil's (claws, that is)!

ilutea.jpg

WoW!!!!!!!!

(These are the seeds that you gave me, by the way) Thanks!!!!
smile.gif

I used to see wild Devils Claw everday when we lived in Tucson AZ, never knew it was a CP though.  
smile_h_32.gif

lol! I am planning on planting the seeds all over the state park nearby. Maybe it will thrive! (JK)
smile_n_32.gif

Are you trying to stink everyone out? Man you are cruel.

Nice. It would probibly thrive here.

Hi Nickz123,

It is not a cp. The glands are for defensive purposes.

yes i grew it this summer and it smelled after touching it and i brought it inside and you could smell it it was a awfull rotten smell you couldnt explain it. But all the more fun to grow it
smile_n_32.gif

Which Devil's Claw plant are you talking about? The Ibicella or the Proboscidea? I've grown Proboscidea, and detect no smell.

I've been trying to germinate the seeds of this plant (Ibicella lutea) for years , never suceeded in germinating though for such a plant considered as a weed . Anybody out there with some seeds to spare ?

You people haven't smelled anything bad until you've taken a whiff of a blooming titan arum (corpse flower). It smelled like like something that has been dead for quite a while. I wouldn't be suprised if even the buzzards and flies stayed away from it.

goldtrap: Devil claws grow wild at my house. They are considered a weed around here, so if you want seeds, you can have all the seeds you want.

horticulturist, I was wondering if I could take you up on your offer to goldtrap.

Chris

trainspotting: Sure. I picked the first seedpod yesterday, but it's already called for. When I get more I will PM you with my address so you can send SASE.

actually i have smelled the sauramatum and amorphophallus blooms as i grow them also. the same with stapelia gigantea

What's a Devils Claw? :-/

Back