What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp site beaing developed

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Nov. 08 2005,7:32)]OH yeah, I had an idea that some may or may not agree with. So I would like some feedback.

We can offer to remove the plants, enter them into our plant banks, and when they are landscaping we can donate the plants back to them. They will be used them as landscaped plants. This will have there benefits. One, it'll give us some plants with location data. Two, it will educate the people that live there on the beauty, importance of cp's and the history of the site. Three, it'll keep the plant's on their original site.

What do you think about this idea?
Everything sounds good Ozzy but remember one thing if ya plan on giving the plants back to these people for landscaping purposes and there building housing whos to say they will give a squat about these plants and make sure people/kids/cars/ animals and what not wont run them over or distroy them and be carless twards these plants?

I don't think that the landscaping part is a good idea. They'll just put them in a garden bed with the rest of the typical suburban landscaping material and they'll be exposed to all the chemical/fertilizer stuff from multitudes of landscape companies that are hired for lawn servicing. I also assume many will be replaced when the owners decide that petunias and marigolds look prettier.

Well, like I said it's an idea. I know there are negatives with this idea, that's why I asked for every bodies thoughts.

Just say we did go this route, I would make sure that there are procedures in place to protect the plants from their landscape workers, or a change of plans by the development. Since I live less than ten miles from the site I would even take care of the plants myself.
Like most good ideas there are road blocks, but we need to see if we can overcome them and if it would even be worth it.

Ozzy, I think trying to build a relationship with the company is very good idea. If you can illuminate them on the importance of the plants and their habitat, you may even be able to get them to contact you before they start construction on other sites.
Also I think offering the plants or a % of the plants back to them as landscaping material is a very good idea.
It would present an opportunity to inform the new residents about the plants, possibly with a plaques or signs.

Don't know if they do this down there but here in larger subdivision builds they set up ponds/wetland/praire areas, to handle runoff water. But if you developed a good enough relationship with the company you could try to get them to design in 'ideal' areas for the CPs.

If you zoom out on the aerial photo view, you can easily see that this little patch of land is doomed to become a suburb and overwhelmed with houses and streets. Note that the date on the image is March 1999.
http://terraservice.net/image.a....174&W=3

A better approach might be to get the planning commission (if there is one), to require a dedicated piece of land to remain undeveloped as "park land". Many areas in the US are discovering that areas left "natural" within a housing development increases property values for the developed parcels.

Ozzy,

I agree whole heartedly with you about approaching them in as nice a manner as possible.  Chances are they don't even know there's anything there worth saving.  

One thing I know about many corporations:  Public immage in important.  It might even behoove us (should they agree to let us do the rescue) to write an article in the local paper extolling the virtuousness of the company and their sense of environmental responsiblity.  That would be further incentive for them to work with us in the future.

Oh, and if you when you get the construction schedule, let me know when you plan on doing the rescue. I'll see if I can schedule some time off work to come down and help you out.

Dear Ozzy Claus, I have been a very good grower this year, and have put out some FINE plants. Since the special day is coming, I wanted to give you my list in advance so you would know what I need here.
!.) Sarracenia flava var. flava
2.) Sarracenia flava var. ornata
3.) Drosera brevifolia
4.) Any Pinguicula available
5.) Any wild dionaea on the land.

Now I have been very good, and feel I would be able to take good care of these plants, and further their cause in the world. I would be willing to share and spread the good news that CP are readily available to all men everywhere. And be one of the folks who brings the plants to them. Mr. Claus, please think of me when you get permission to collect, and fill my stocking with location plants. Thank you Ozzy Claus for listening. I'll be waiting for my just reward.
Bugweed

interesting, I have never seen venus flytraps in the wild.

truly tragic, at least some of the plants will survive, maybe eventually it will be back to its originall status

what a shame if the plants dont get rescued
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

Is there an update on this?

Last year around this time, HoustonHerp and I drove to Covington Louisiana to rescue hundreds of S. alata from a site under development. I am glad we did that.

And yes, we had permission from the owners of the site.

At this point, I would recommend any letter-writers only send pleasantly-worded letters to the developers requesting that NASC be given permission to rescue the plants from the site under development.

No pleas to halt development or nasty letters will help.

I don't think this is going to go anywhere soon. The problem is that the only plants that I have found are in a ditch along the road. By the time I got the letter to them, all the roads and "public" area on the land had already been cleared. We'll never know if there were cp's there. If they were they are gone forever. I tried to get permission to search the individual lots that will be sold. They told me that they can not give permission for me to remove any plants from that area, that decision is up to the individuals buying the land. Since they have not put up "No Trespassing" signs. It's legal for me to go anywhere on the property I want, until I am told to leave. I have been there but I found no plants at all.
So what can we do? The plants that I have found are not in immediate danger. They are along the main road. All I can do is to keep watching to make sure that they don't clear that area. I have asked that they contact me if they do develop the area with the plants. But I doubt they will.
There are D.brefolia D.capillaris, S.flava, and vfts. on the site. I'm sure I'll ride by there one day and they will all be gone. But that's nothing new in this area.

Just putting a note in: I have 2.5 acres with a very large plot of "wasted" area that receives full sun, and is sheltered on two sides. If, at any time, a holding area for rescue plants is needed I can accomodate with very little work. I have at least an half acre which can be completely filled... maybe with some kiddie pools or plastic tarp and a little water. ;)
All someone has to do is get them to central Oklahoma, and pay the way out for the plants when it's time to split them up.

It's interesting following the plight of this whole effort.

I've been involved on small scale "rescue" efforts in Malaysia and Indonesia in the 90's - essentially talking my clients (landowners and developers) into helping collect as many of the Nepenthes on their property (that were being redeveloped). We collected large quantities of N. rafflesiana, ampullaria, sanguinea, macfarlani and albo-marginata and then had problems figuring out what to do with it all afterwards. We couldn't ship them out of the country and the local folks regarded these "monkey pots" as a pain in the butt weed.

Eventually we replanted a bunch of them on other nearby properties the various people owned...and we also sent some of the seeds to the ICPS seedbank for redistribution.

My old clients tell me that these relocated plants are still thriving to this day.

Thats a shame! Do we have any updates on this?

Thats a cool story big flytrap about the neps! To bad their couldnt have been a mass give aways for them with Cites and all.

And any news?

ozzy... what stopped you from just going in and taking them? too many? or some ethical thing? Personally, i am not even an environment guru, but i have 3 acres across the street from me, with a few different cool CP's and a couple natives on the few and far between lists in there. acre one got developed. acre 3 got developed. So i went on acre 2 and just took some. they'll be developing that soon. And they raze the area. with no regard to what is there.

The new owners are going to hate me since i go native any chance i can. Which isn't always a pretty landscape like some like down here.

The way i see it they (developers/owners) don't care enough about the property and all the natural vegetation. Otherwise why pull out all the native, and then replant with the crap they do...Oh and such gorgeous cocoplum, and other stuff, i took and planted in my yard...

because to protect you from any legal action the landowners might take, you need permission. everything needs to be legit so you can't be sued and so if you ever want to trade, sell or donate anything you have papers that prove your legit.

Back