What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia oreophila

Well, here is something odd about sarracenia oreophila! If your s. oreophila gets a few hours of sun, it may show a few veins. However, if you increase the amount of sun the plant gets, the more color it takes on. Unlike s. flava, let's say, variation rubricorpora, which is a red tube, a plant that will redden up a little every day until it takes on the color red over a period of days in say 5 or 6 hours of sun per day. S. oreophila has a tendency to take on color according to the amount of sun it gets EACH day.
A plant given to me by Joe Mazrimas got 4 hours of sun a day and was all green. It got the same amount of sun day in and day out. Always it was green. Joe gave me a cutting of this plant toward the end of its growing season, and it stayed all green, though not anthocyanin free. (Red growing points!) The following year, living at my house, it was getting 12 hours of light per day. WHAM! Suddenly it veined up with beautiful red veins, looking very different from the environment it lived in. And quite beautiful!
Then, I got a clone from Ron Lane. (Clone 2, lightly veined) I found out from Ron it got 6 or 7 hours of sun. So, being the curious sort I am, I gave it 12 to 14 hours. Suddenly, it was very veined. Ron thought I had mislabeled the plant, but I told him what had happened. Ron gave his clone 2 more sun, and it turned into a wholly different plant, very veined, and GORGEOUS! Why the amount of sun makes this difference is unclear as other species (s. flava's, s. leucophylla's) take on their color gradually, getting more colorful every day until they reach the leaves lifespan end. S. oreophila will just look less veined with less sun (hours wise), while my s. flava var. rubricorpora get redder every day until they die, even with only 6 hours of sun. For BEST color with your s. oreophila, give it all the sun it can "eat". You just might be in for the shock of your life. S. oreophila is quite the showoff if given all you can give it!

Does this apply to all plants? The plants from my photos are pretty bland with the exception on an odd red plant here and there. The bog is burned annually and it's all open.

My own plants did REALLY color up when I moved them from my deck and put them into the muck at the front of our lake. Must be the soil.

I should take 2 plants and pot one in standard mix and pot the other in the muck from our lake and put them side by side on my deck and see what happens. That's a pretty good idea.

JLAP how much land do you own? Is it a big lake or a man-made lake?

Bugweed that's really amazing! One of the people that I asked about S. oreophylla said that it was a really boring plant, and said that I wouldn't like it.

JLAP, it may be open, but you have to know how much actual sun is on the plant. In its environment, it may still only get a few real hours of direct sun, and so far, my findings show this makes a difference. Try it out and see. I would love to know the details!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One of the people that I asked about S. oreophylla said that it was a really boring plant, and said that I wouldn't like it

Oreophila is quite an interesting plant. It's usually the first to start growing and you can have a fresh and bushy plant whilst all the rest are in the middle of growing pitchers.

The pitchers are very shapely with eyecatching long necks.

The only downside is that by July it's all over for another season!

I like them
smile.gif
So fat!

Dave, we don't really own the whole lake, just our part of the property. It's only like a 3-5 acre lake but they won't sell it to us. It's natural but sadly filling in due to construction.

When my mom was a little girl her parents bought all of our lake property (only about 6 or 7 acres) for like 200 bucks or something absurdly small like that. It's hard to believe the prices back then.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Farmer Dave @ Jan. 05 2007,6:28)]JLAP how much land do you own? Is it a big lake or a man-made lake?

Bugweed that's really amazing! One of the people that I asked about S. oreophylla said that it was a really boring plant, and said that I wouldn't like it.
ive heard that too. but i would love to have one! darn CITES and ESA. they are pretty cold tolerant from what i know so it would be perfect for my bog garden next spring!
Alex

Your Royal Glidedness! Allow me! Anyone can send you an s. oreophila. Anyone. They cannot sell it to you from out of State, but they can send you one. Trades: not allowed. Giving as a gift? ALLOWED! Pay the postage? NO! But, if someone is willing to send you some on their dime, then it is allowable. NO profit can be made on these plants except a licencensed nursery from your own State. Otherwise, beg long and loud and give it a try. No one from overseas can send it either, though I cannot imagine why. Seed is also allowable in the same manner. Ask me if I have any seed. Go ahead! Ask me! I dare ya!!!!

PM'ed
wink.gif.gif

Do you have some seeds?
rock.gif

yeah! do ya?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Your Royal Glidedness! Allow me! Anyone can send you an s. oreophila. Anyone. They cannot sell it to you from out of State, but they can send you one. Trades: not allowed. Giving as a gift? ALLOWED! Pay the postage? NO! But, if someone is willing to send you some on their dime, then it is allowable. NO profit can be made on these plants except a licencensed nursery from your own State. Otherwise, beg long and loud and give it a try. No one from overseas can send it either, though I cannot imagine why. Seed is also allowable in the same manner. Ask me if I have any seed. Go ahead! Ask me! I dare ya!!!!

What if you are trading for something else and then they just happen to decide to throw it in there as a *free* bonus?

LMAO! If he said "NO!" I'd fall out of my chair so fast and have a stroke laughing lmao!

Lol, he wouldn't do that though lol

There's always a small minute chance that someone might though.

I would, IF I were trading. I love giving presents.
woot.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Jan. 05 2007,9:44)]LMAO! If he said "NO!" I'd fall out of my chair so fast and have a stroke laughing lmao!

Lol, he wouldn't do that thought lol
You just don't know the bug.

No no no lol. I know he'd never do that but i've got a twisted sense of humor lmao

I don't see why we can't TC them. A lot of laws are dumb.

I thought that they do tissue culture them as well as N. campatulata, but strangely I've never seen restrictions on selling them aroound here.

Well, let me clarify. You can TC them, but you can't sell them.

We should be able to do as we wish with TC'd clones.

Yeah, I personally think that they should really change the US flower to a US pitcher plant flower like a rubra or S. rosea, but more likely an endangered Pitcher plant so that we can help spread the knowledge.

What is the US flower? I don't see why they should change it to a Sarracenia over any other flower.

Why did I just say they? I should say we.

Back