What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

store selling dried sarracenia

Presto

wicked good plants!
Staff member
look about 1/3 of the way down.

I'd like to write a polite letter asking them to stop selling the poor babies.  But I don't know where to start.  I don't even know what kind of sarracenia they are.

can someone help me out?

Presto Leucophyla pitchers are used alot in flower arangements. I wish they would stop using them too, but if they are growing the plants then there really isn;t anything we can do. Now if they are collecting them from the wild then something could. I have read an article where they were wild collecting hundreds of leucos for that trade. I do not know where to start either I hope someone can help.

Very sad! But, in a world where blowing up babies is a valid religious exercise, I guess it's to be expected.

I've bought other items from that vendor before (animal parts), and asked specifically about the pitcher plants. Sadly, the person I spoke to didn't know if they were from a gardener's propagation or from the wild.

Mokele

wait, where the heck is that at? I know about the whole baby=hiv cure. But never have I heard of that one.

They look like they might be leucophylla pitchers. That's a lot of money for dead pitcher art.
confused.gif

Yeah, they are definatly S. leucophylla. Also everything there is real expensive there.* I could make most of that for free. The leaves are simple, leave them in a pool over winter.
smile_h_32.gif
They also sell seahorses and pipefish.....
*originally came out as (exmale reproductive organive)
confused.gif

Bravo setep!

"There will always be good men doing good things and there will always be bad men doing bad things - but for a good man to do bad things, now that takes religion"

Are there even enouch leuco's left out there for them to be wild collected?
smile_h_32.gif

I saw something on TV or over the interest where there are huge fields of those, and the article or program(I cannot remeber) said the 4 wheelers they used to collect hundreds of pitchers, leaving the plant in tact but surely setting it back, were ruining the bogs. I don;t know if its still being practiced or not. I hope they are nursery collected and not wild. The populations are definately stressed enough.

Back