What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introducing D. Capensis to the wild...huh?

(reposted from Sundew forum)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKxFs7Ia9UI

Found this randomly...and I'm not really sure of the point of this video.??? If this person happens to be one of yall, I'm not judging...but introducing Capensis to woods, streams, gardens, and lawns seem really odd, much less ecologically sound. Don't think they'll survive anyway.

That's a very stupid idea. For one, it looks like all but possibly the last one were planted in nitrogen/nutrient rich soil. Also, I don't know how successful an etiolated D. capensis will do after being planted under a tree in the woods. It seemed more like a joke than anything else- especially that one where she plants it in the middle of a grass patch that will definitely be mowed...

I could just imagine if D. capensis took hold in nutrient enriched soils; they would become the new Dandelion.

I've thrown "used" peat into my flower garden. D. capensis sprouted in the spring and was given away to my friends, who all managed to kill them.

I think that was a joke, and a very bad one at that.

What a strange video... sort of weird walking around with a backpack full of capensis. Made me laugh.

Obviously they know nothing, thats all, period......lawn....seriously?!? need i say.......seruiously?!?

That's a very stupid idea. For one, it looks like all but possibly the last one were planted in nitrogen/nutrient rich soil. Also, I don't know how successful an etiolated D. capensis will do after being planted under a tree in the woods. It seemed more like a joke than anything else- especially that one where she plants it in the middle of a grass patch that will definitely be mowed...

they just did you a favor, you just got a new "dont do this" section for the dew guide. lol

~billy

haha how strange, at least it was entertaining

What a strange video... sort of weird walking around with a backpack full of capensis. Made me laugh.

Isn't that what Ozzy had? They ate neighborhood pets.

Seriously, if that was anywhere where it gets freezing temps, they'll die.

I watched it again and I still don't understand it. It's just this girl and then someone else planting D. capensis. If you didn't know what it is, you wouldn't know that it's any different from some weird looking grass. There's no staging to the video either. Why does the girl look so solemn while she's digging the holes? What is their intention? It's categorized as entertainment, but it looks more like a raw reel from a documentary. And what's with the birdsongs spliced in for audio?
~Joe

Back