What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BP Oil Spill: Pensacola Beach, Perdido Bay

So the hypothesis loosley repeated, best I can goes like this; The massive pressure spray surging forth has a sandblasting effect from the debris that has also been freed. This erossive force is eating at the core of the pipes 2" thick steel walls alarmingly fast. Once the pipe is eaten through, it's the ocean floor being eroded faster by factor 10 or something. Then the pocket, once exhausted, collapses. There then is a massive influx of water into said cavity, some miles deep, super-heating the water to explosive levels causing the worst tsunami in imagination. THE global killer.
The BP situation has enough 'bad' aspects to it without adding elements from the lunatic fringe. Propagating half-truths, fabrications & rumors help no one.
I'm not one for the big FEAR talk and such.
So - why continue writing it?
This however seems logical and plausible.
Which part? Are you serious?
Actually.. uhm.. there have been rumors about the U.S having the largest stockpile of oil in the world.. Nobody but "official&leaders" know what for.. :[
Now, we're adding conspiracy theories .... As I said above - Propagating half-truths, fabrications & rumors help no one.

This is obviously a difficult time for everyone - & especially those directly impacted. Actual facts about what's really happening & what the short, medium & longer term impacts will be are difficult to come by (or impossible in many cases). Sharing far-fetched theories & rumors when there are voids of legitimate information is never helpful. I recommend that people keep their grey-matter engaged & functional & a bit less receptive to the fear-mongering.

At some point in this catastrophe, discussions will start about what's next & how do we keep this from happening again - or how can we be better prepared when it does happen again? BP was obviously not prepared (nor was any oil company or government entity) for a Black Swan event even though there were prior events, like Ixtoc I which gave us a glimpse into what's possible. Once these discussions do start, having rationale input with our elected representatives might help keep them from going down paths of incredible foolishness....

Looking at the estimated number of barrels of oil of this "accident" compared to previous ones, along with the fact that this "accident" isn't over yet, is a major concern!

How many times do these "accidents" need to happen or how big do they need to be, before mother nature can't be leaned upon to clean up our mess? Assuming "She" will always be able to save us from our own foolishness and reckless behavior, is naive, ignorant and arrogantly presumptuous. Someday we are going to be held responsible for our behavior and our treatment to this world and its other inhabitants.

This planet is NOT "OURS"! We just happen to live here!
And for being the "most intelligent species" here as we think ourselves to be, we sure are showing what kind of "people" we are by our treatment of this planets "lesser" individuals and species.

Things like this make me embarrassed to be a "human".
What will our children, grand-children, and great grand-children think of what we did to the planet that they are going to inherit to live in and care for?

Sorry to express my feelings about this disaster, and I hope I am not upsetting anyone by it.
I am just fed up with the BS I have experienced in other ways over the years, and am disgusted at what people are doing sometimes, and/or willing to allow to be done.

I am thankful that there are people who are able and are willing to make this world a better place, not only for mankind, but for ALL of "Life's and Nature's expressions".

The media is downplaying this and BP is somehow getting things off the net/TV as fast as it appears. Photos of dead and dieing birds, turtles, fish, dolphins, etc. that my wife has seen are being removed removed very quickly, and she is wondering how they can do that. All they keep showing is that pipe spewing clouds of oil out, but aren't showing the real size and extent of the pollution this is causing, as well as all the beaches, wetlands and fish and animals that are being affected.

I just watched on pbs.org on 'frontline' a report on 'tank man' and this sounds very similar as to how the chinese gov't is covering up this event, and how they've even convinced google china to filter out any pics of the 'tank man'. I can understand that BP wants to cover their behinds, but this is just media manipulation once again. BP needs to step up and quit spending money on covering up media coverage and clean up their mess instead.

Btw, well put GrowinOld, bravo.

Last edited:
Can't burn crude. You'll destroy your engine.

well no duh but you need the crude to make the diesel and gas......there are risks with everything....want to complain about deep water drilling? its the greenies that have stopped the shallow water drilling off of most states....BP is drilling in mile deep water cause they arent allowed to drill in 150 foot water cause save the world nuts say shallow water drilling is just to dangerous to the environment.....however its lot easier to fix a blow out in 150 feet than 5000.......think this oil spill is bad? last year Cuba gave PetroChina permission to drill off of their island.......you think BP is bad, PetroChina aint big on the safety features and there is not a damn thing the US can do if this sorta thing happens off of Cuba as it aint in our waters......

It's a horrible tragedy. But some people are being incredibly shallow here.

Yes, BP is at fault with the explosion. But they're also burning through 100 million bucks a day to make it better. They've had to lay off thousands of workers, and boycotting them will only make it worse. Their reputation is ruined and it will probably take decades to recover, if we even use oil then. To say they're doing nothing is completely untrue and unfair. That's it. It's a problem, they're trying to make it right, and if you don't let them do that and blame them for everything it will just make everything worse.

I really don't give a flying rat's backside about how ruined BP's reputation is. They deserve what they get for coming here and telling us how to run our press and telling us where we can and can't go in our own water and airspace. That was even on CNN the other day according to a friend who receives that network in their channel lineup. It's tyranny of them to come here and tell us how to run things and corrupt of our government for allowing it!

Yes, it's too bad about the laid off workers. It's also too bad about the 11 people who were killed on their rig, the countless others who were injured by the explosion, the additional people who were made sick by the dispersant chemicals afterwards, the tourist related industries in that area; hotels, restaurants, personal water craft rental services, the unfortunate business owners who operate under the BP logo, and the fishing industry. The whole thing is bad for everyone affected.

Where I have a big disagreement about whether or not they are trying to make this better in a satisfactory way is that they only care about covering their own back side here.

This is very evident in the money they are spending to try to keep the media from reporting on this disaster. They are a foreign company in our waters and they are telling us to stay out! Am I the only one who sees that as very bad P.R.? That part isn't even their fault alone. It's our government and media who has allowed themselves to be bought off. So, if BP would put all of that 100 million bucks a day into fixing the problem and not buying off the media, they would get to a solution a lot faster.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/0...p-to-lower-gas-prices-to-help-thwart-boycott/
Even if gas is 50 cents I know me(too young to drive though), nor any of my realatives would buy BP.
Good link. I'd like to quote a few things. from the article.

As the boycott over BP-owned gas stations gains momentum, frustrated local owners are calling on the British oil giant to lower prices at the pump to help bring back customers.
Wait, who are they calling on to lower prices? It's BP, not the 'other companies' that they buy their fuel from.

Station owners and distributors told BP brass they need a break on the cost of the gas they buy,
Again, asking BP for, "a break on the cost of the gas they buy." If they aren't buying fuel from BP, go ask the other companies for the break. Get Connico to show them a little sympathy if that's where their fuel comes from in some cases.

"They have got to be more competitive on their fuel costs to the retailers so we can be competitive on the street
One thing is very clear here, someone is getting their fuel from BP.

Most are owned by local businesspeople whose primary connection to the oil company is "the logo and a contract to buy gasoline," according to the AP.
What a revelation. Sorry, it seems that I will remain "shallow" in my opinion on this matter.

Last edited:
however in this case, covering their backside means doing everything possible to make it right.....other wise they risk loosing their leases on US soil.......

Keeping the public in the dark and buying off our media and government is not making anything right. It's just further corruption. Two wrongs do not make a right.

took Obama 6 months to decide on a dog......really think you want that idiot incharge of the oil spill.....BP has one thing Obammy dont.....experience with oil.....rather have the oil companies working on it than DC.....

as far as the media thing i call BS.....the US gov't couldnt buy of reporters in Iraq and Afghanistan aint no way BP can buy off every news outlet in the southeast.....plenty of reporters and publishers are like my wife....aint going to be told what they cant report on........

I don't expect the gov to fix it. 'bammy isn't much count anyway. All I'm saying is, if the media has been denied access to even flying over the mess for the reasons that have been reported, the buy off is the fault of the gov and media, not that the gov has the ability to fix it.

I'll agree with you that there is an idiot in charge of the spill. He, "Wants his life back." Meanwhile, he goes yachting and whatever else. He can cry me a river.

no different than Obama going golfing rather than dealing with crap.....truth be told the BP guy is an idiot and we are better off with him off on a yacht and not actually messing with anything just like we are better off with Obama on the golf course and not dealing with anything......better off not having the idiots doing anything than actually trying to get their hands dirty.......kinda like giving a 5 year old a wrench and telling him to go bang on your car engine awhile cause you need a spark plug changed......just doesnt have the know how to actually get the job done.....

My point is, this idiot thinks that for some reason he is still entitled to live high on the hog while thousands upon thousands are affected by BP's negligence. He could at least show a little concern and remorse by toning down his lifestyle a bit. He has more than enough money to pay out more reimbursements from his own pocket according to the way he is publicly showing off.

Watch this while it's still posted. Still think BP isn't silencing our media? What right do they have? They're foreign!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHdwpFdpjVg

Another video about the media silencing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEw0zmI2Qhk

What we're seeing on the surface is just the tip of the iceberg. Gulf floor up to 40% covered by heavy, sinking, rapidly spreading crude. The scientist's suggestion of nuking the hole to close the rock sounds just as bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9JE1qT6qws

Oil isn't all that BP's burning. They're burning still living endangered sea turtles along with it despite being aware the turtles are encircled within the oil booms. They make no effort of rescuing our endangered native species before lighting the whole lot ablaze. Not only is BP not making an effort to save the endangered species, they are standing in the way of the people who have been tasked with saving them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWzhgdphkWU

Another interesting video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4-FzzCQStg

Last edited:
no sound on this computer.....have to wait till after work....did see the headline on the last "nuke the only option"......bacteria will eat the oil and have the majority gone inside 2 or 3 years.....how long do you think the fallout from the nuke is going to last?......a nuke is the only explosive thats going to work a mile down but i have serious doubts i will work.....the Ruskies have done it twice but on a different type of sea floor geology than the gulf......they were dealing with more rock and less mud, we have alot of mud and less rock....

I said it sounded just as bad. I don't want to eat tuna out of a nuked environment.

the oil is sitting low cause of the use of dispersants........not what i would have done but it was a damned if you do damned if yah dont situation......had they not used them ppl would be screaming why didnt they when they could of.......

in all reality BP shouldnt have been drilling that deep, only a couple companies have the experience to do so and BP aint one of them......but but ppl like Obama and the save the world types say shallow water drilling is to dangerous for the environment......it would have been far easier on the environment had an oil company screwed up a shallow water well than a deep water one.....at 150 feet you can use conventional explosives to try and your not out anything, they wont work at 5000 feet.....you can drill relief wells quicker.....hell you can put divers down there in hard suits to help.....we would be much better off lifting the shallow water ban and get it out of companies heads that somethings are worth the risk....get them out of real deep water and into the shallows where things are more sure...

as for setting fire with the turtles in.....actually it is difficult to burn oil slicks......conditions have to be near perfect or it doesnt work.....whats better? killing a few turtles and getting rid of oil while you can OR spend the time rescuing a few turtles, risk conditions changing and not getting to burn off the oil and let it hit the beaches and affect more animals?

took Obama 6 months to decide on a dog......really think you want that idiot incharge of the oil spill

I could say the same for "Dubya" and his "quick" response to the Katrina disaster......:censor:

But seriously, blaming the President isn't going to get us anywhere. If you don't like how things are being done, you are more than welcome to go and do it yourself in they way you want it to be done.

If you don't like how things are being done, you are more than welcome to go and do it yourself in they way you want it to be done.
Heck with that. They won't let anyone near it. Not even now the private fishermen who they both accepted volunteerism from and contracted with to rescue the endangered wildlife. Even these people who BP's themselves accepted are being turned away now.

What I am trying to say is that the President, nor BP themselves are to blame for this disaster.

If you ask me, the ones to blame are the designers and builders of the rig. They are the ones who took the short cuts, they are the ones that skipped here and skimmed there to make budget. They should be the ones to pay out of pocket.

Back