What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. oreophila on Ebay, once again...

its in AUS so its legal as long as its not going to another country AFIK

Cites excludes seeds, so getting it to the border isn't a problem. I'm not sure even sure if the law prevents it from going across state lines if it's directly from another country.

well, i wasnt paying attention to it all, just clicked the link and checked location. :\

Cites excludes seeds, so getting it to the border isn't a problem. I'm not sure even sure if the law prevents it from going across state lines if it's directly from another country.

CITES regulates any part of a specimen on their appendices from being traded internationally. Any part of a specimen, in this case a plant, denotes the plant, roots, seeds, leaves, flowers, etc. I think, I read that before on their site, let me go find it... I could be wrong of course.

Seeds are only excluded under some Appendix II and III species. Sarracenia oreophilla is listed under Appendix I which covers all parts and derivatives of the plant. CITES is an international treaty so you cannot get them into the US or other country that is a member of the treaty without permits. And regardless of the origin of the seeds the Endangered Species Act in the US prohibits sales or trades without permits across state lines.

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/esa-library/pdf/ESA_basics.pdf

When a species is included in one of the Appendices, all parts and derivatives of the species are also included in the same Appendix unless the species is annotated to indicate that only specific parts and derivatives are included. The symbol # followed by a number placed against the name of a species or higher taxon included in Appendix II or III refers to a footnote that indicates the parts or derivatives of plants that are designated as 'specimens' subject to the provisions of the Convention in accordance with Article I, paragraph (b), subparagraph (iii)..
http://www.cites.org/eng/app/interpret.shtml

Appendix I lists species that are the most endangered among CITES-listed animals and plants (see Article II, paragraph 1 of the Convention). They are threatened with extinction and CITES prohibits international trade in specimens of these species except when the purpose of the import is not commercial (see Article III), for instance for scientific research. In these exceptional cases, trade may take place provided it is authorized by the granting of both an import permit and an export permit (or re-export certificate). Article VII of the Convention provides for a number of exemptions to this general prohibition.
http://www.cites.org/eng/app/index.shtml

Seeds are only excluded under some Appendix II and III species. Sarracenia oreophilla is listed under Appendix I which covers all parts and derivatives of the plant. CITES is an international treaty so you cannot get them into the US or other country that is a member of the treaty without permits. And regardless of the origin of the seeds the Endangered Species Act in the US prohibits sales or trades without permits across state lines.

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/esa-library/pdf/ESA_basics.pdf

Thanks NaN for clearing this up. I was wondering why seed would be exempt, but this clarifies it.

#1 All parts and derivatives, except:
a) seeds, spores and pollen (including pollinia);
b) seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers;
c) cut flowers of artificially propagated plants; and
d) fruits, and parts and derivatives thereof, of artificially propagated plants of the genus Vanilla.

Unless I'm interpreting this wrong, even on appendix I seeds can be traded.

Edit: Wait, nevermind, oreophila specifically doesn't have any footnotes. Guess I'm just tired, I thought it had a one.

Never trust ebay from my experience. The people enjoy scamming you. In fact once someone was selling nepenthes edwadsiana there.

So sad, it makes me mad at the thought of it. I wish people would obey the law for once.:censor:

Wait, I'm not clear on this whole CITES thing. Total newb, I know.
I purchased an S. oreophila in Oregon, from an Oregon seller. Do I need any special paperwork?

Wait, I'm not clear on this whole CITES thing. Total newb, I know.
I purchased an S. oreophila in Oregon, from an Oregon seller. Do I need any special paperwork?

No you don't.

Back