What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meadowview Biological Research Station

I went to Virginia for a pseudo vacation this week and was able to make it up to Meadowview. I will post more once I get back, but I just wanted to share some of what I captured here.

I met Phil Sheridan along with his intern Nathan. They were both very nice and hospitable. The plants were truly a sight to behold!

More to come once I get back from vacation!

EDIT: Pics removed from photobucket... sorry. Look at slideshow below.

Last edited:
Congrats on getting out there Dash. This is definitely on my to do/wish list sometime in the future. Nathan said he would try to make it out there this summer, glad he was able to do so. This visit calls for more pictures!

Thanks. I have about 50 pictures so I will post more. Honestly, I was so awe struck I don't think I captured the true beauty and size of these plants. Size as the real emphasis here.

Last edited:
Whoa. That goes on my "Must Visit" list. :0o:

Wow now THAT'S a big boy! Phil definitely is a very experienced (and well respected IMO) enthusiast! Thanks for the reassurance that I HAVE to eventually make it out there :-D

Yes, that was probably the largest pitcher I came across. But there were other's only slightly smaller. I would say Dr. Sheridan is on the tops of my list, if for nothing else because he is the only person that I know of who can legally sell endangered sarracenia in the US. And, the proceeds go to conservation!

yup i went last october, I know a bit late, but i didnt know about it till then , I just called Phill and he met me there on a sunday i think.
He is very nice and doesnt make you feel uncomfortable asking questions, very helpful and willing to spend some time with you ,of course I was the only person there at the time LOL, but Im sure its just in his nature. He wants to teach ,and get out as much info about their efforts there, so yes its a real treat.
I feel lucky to be this close, and I would highly recommend a trip if you can .:-D
Im going back in the next week or two, its 3 1/2 hours for me.
It should, nicer this time since they had trimmed a lot of the sarrs back for the season in October.

Wow those pics are killer!
I have to email him right away and get ovet here (I fortunately live only 40 minutes from it)..
I recently visited another nearby nurserand loved it, but I always want more!

Ps upwhiz where do you live?

Nice pics!!!! Now, a few ID questions:
#1 : 'North' and 'South'?
#3: 'John Smith'?
#4: My favorite(even though I do not have it) "Horizon"
#12 ?
#13 Just a plain old Mitchelliana?
#21 ?
#26, the pinker one.
#28 ?

Wow, that looks like one of the sweetest places on the planet! Lol

Nice pics!!!! Now, a few ID questions:
#1 : 'North' and 'South'?
#3: 'John Smith'?
#4: My favorite(even though I do not have it) "Horizon"
#12 ?
#13 Just a plain old Mitchelliana?
#21 ?
#26, the pinker one.
#28 ?

I knew I should have taken notes on the pics, but sadly didn't. Here is what I think they are, but I am sure Phil would be happy to tell you which is which.

#1 Yes.
#3 No, Red Rocket. I got a John Smith while I was there though. It is awesome!
#4 Yep!
#12 Me neither. I didn't take notes. Ask Phil, he can tell you.
#13 Looks like it but not 100% sure.
#21 I think that one may be vermillion
#28 Again not sure. Kinda looks like flava x oreophylla.

Last edited:
Image Shack is dinkin' up on you.. all I see is removed pic errors.

I knew I should have taken notes on the pics, but sadly didn't. Here is what I think they are, but I am sure Phil would be happy to tell you which is which.

#3 No, Red Rocket. I got a John Smith while I was there though. It is awesome!
#12 Me neither. I didn't take notes. Ask Phil, he can tell you.
#13 Looks like it but not 100% sure.
#21 I think that one may be vermillion
#28 Again not sure. Kinda looks like flava x oreophylla.
#3. Ahh. I love John Smith, with the reverse veining. When I get better at Sarrs( IE keep them through 2 dormancies, this winter then I let myself get expensive ones) I really want Horizon and John Smith.
#21. If it is, I want one! Looks a lot different on the site.

I will contact Phil sometime.
Thanks!

So I went to meadowview on Monday, and man was I impressed! Once I stop being lazy I will take pics of the new plants! But the place was amazing, I didn't bring my camera because of how close I am (20 minutes from work), I figured I would take more than one trip over there!

Image Shack is dinkin' up on you.. all I see is removed pic errors.

Sorry about that. I uploaded these pics so many times trying to get imageshack to resize them to decent levels. I got so fed up with it, I ended up manually editing each one before uploading. It looks like I deleted a few along the way that I uploaded and posted here earlier.

At any rate, check out the slide show all of those pictures are still there.... I hope.

Back