What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr introduction question

It depends on which county he's in. There's a high probability that they are in his county, but there's a chance that they aren't. We've run into problems with this in the past and it's caused some big problems. I'm just trying to aid in a responsible decision.

If we want to get technical, every person with an outdoor artificial bog living within a mile or so of a natural bog has a good chance polluting the natural gene pool. Bees can carry the pollen that far. So technically there could be oreophila crosses in the middle of Michigan already. Who knows. I see absolutely no problem introducing some purps to the bog. Of course I would do my best to introduce from a native, local population first though.

If we want to get technical, every person with an outdoor artificial bog living within a mile or so of a natural bog has a good chance polluting the natural gene pool. Bees can carry the pollen that far. So technically there could be oreophila crosses in the middle of Michigan already. Who knows. I see absolutely no problem introducing some purps to the bog. Of course I would do my best to introduce from a native, local population first though.

It happened in Virginia. Take a look at my internship thread in General Discussions. It definitely has leucophylla in it.

Oh crap.. I forgot all about this thread. Sorry guys..

I'm in Clinton County. Pretty much on the edge of Ingham, Clinton, and Shiawassee counties.

other issues, would need to be careful to prevent the introduction of weeds with the sarracenia. Dont think we would like to have the bog over run by U. bisqumata or other weedy CP that could hitch a ride with the plants being introduced. Some wont survive the MI winter but others might be able to make it as annuals..... Same with diseases or insects/invertebrates that might be in a persons collection and not exist in the wild. So might want to consider a decontamination protocol prior to outplanting.

From what I remember they are found in Clinton County. Make sure to clean them thoroughly, no soil what-so-ever on the roots and rhizome.

Back