What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"In situ" of the month: December

Heli

villosaholic
"In situ" of the month: December

Please vote in last months contest here: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru...l?id=E_86cb70485d8d05ec&akey=555abfe4a324ad1e
Rules of Entry:
1. You must have a location (county, state, country) of where you took the picture if possible.
2. All pictures must be have taken in the past ten years
3. All entries must be clearly identified if possible. If you are not sure what the plant is please call it "unknown"
4. Entries are restricted to plants from the wild only, no cultivated plants
5. Contestants may only post a maximum of two photos until contest closing on 12/30/11
6. Any picture(s) that have finished in the top 3 may not be reentered again for the following 90 days.
7. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
8. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 1/01/12, closing 1/07/12 and using the Condorcet Internet Voting Service (Beatpath/Schulze/CSSD completion rule). The THREE (3) most popular entries (according to "proportional representation") will be considered "Winners".

PICTURES COPYRIGHTED BY SOMEONE OTHER THAN YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.

Contest will be closed on Dec. 30th at 5:00PM EST
Good luck!!

Okay, I will start this off.

Darlintonia growing on bank of creek, Siskiyou Mountains, Southern Oregon, USA, May 2011

Darlingtonianexttocreek.jpg
[/IMG]

Darlingtonia flower, Siskiyou Mountains, Southern Oregon, USA, May 2011

Darlingtoniaflower.jpg
[/IMG]

Textbook perfect picture of how darlingtonia loves growing by streams. Beautiful. :D

continuing with the darlingtonia by the stream theme:

Darlingtonia californica, Gasquet County, California, USA
card14.png

Last edited:
Whoa, great picture Amphirion!

DJ. And Amp those pics bring back so many happy memories of visiting those plants and places....

Oh man, cool shot Amphirion :0o:

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

I am planning on going back next summer to get pics of them in the middle of their growing season. I really want to go in the dead of winter, but do not have a 4-wheel drive vehicle to get to this place in winter. Knowing me I will find a way...probably backpack in, LOL.

@DJ: thanks much. nice shot of the flower. i was gonna submit a flower shot myself, but then, nahhhhh....... ;)

i hear darlingtonia look their best around august or september. when i went in june, the plants were still flowering, and most leaves were in development, still bright green with no red coloration. the ones that were fully colored were ones that were left over and looked battered by the previous winter.

@DJ: thanks much. nice shot of the flower. i was gonna submit a flower shot myself, but then, nahhhhh....... ;)

i hear darlingtonia look their best around august or september. when i went in june, the plants were still flowering, and most leaves were in development, still bright green with no red coloration. the ones that were fully colored were ones that were left over and looked battered by the previous winter.

:-D Thanx, ever once in a while I get a decent shot. Love pictures of sarr flowers, would love to see yours.

August? I was thinking I would go in July, but may have to re-think that, especially if we have another late summer like this year. I have a backpacking trip planned in September, so may be hard to get the time off work in August. I do want to get pics of their large pitchers when they are fresh though.

My trip took me there in April and can concur many had not even begun to flower yet let lone develop their full pitchers....

Sarracenia purpurea from Caroline County, VA. Most of the plants from this site are dead from herbicide spraying now.

Large by Wire Man, on Flickr

D. capillaris, Jasper Co, S.C. Taken in March 2011

231080_10150173573767970_535392969_6696161_1621210_n.jpg

Back