What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Love the way those frogs like to hang out in the pitchers.

Great pics, thanks for sharing!
I miss seeing Pogonia, Spiranthes and Calopogon in my "back yard". (I don't live where they grow, but I used to)

Really nice photos!

Been awhile since I posted to this thread. I've been keeping busy all summer working on my book with the help of Heli and Wireman and soon I will embark on the most incredible and difficult trip of the summer. Starting tomorrow, Wednesday August 14th, 2013 I will be leaving with Wireman and another friend from Meadowview on a 5 day trip where we will be visiting sites all over North Carolina and one site in South Carolina time permitting. We will see every species of Sarracenia, Dionaea, Pinguicula, and Drosera found in North Carolina plus a few introduced species. Here is a map of our trip beginning and ending in Raleigh with a pit stop back there between the mountains and the coast. The map is only 1mb so don't bother trying to zoom in to get clues as to exactly where these locations are. The points are also in general areas within the counties and not exactly on the location so as to make it more difficult for anyone trying to go to these secret locations. County location is a matter of public knowledge that anyone with basic research skills can attain. So please don't reprimand me for sharing locations because I'm not.

Anyway, we leave Wednesday morning from Raleigh where we'll be going directly to see S. oreophila at point B, then S. purpurea var. montana and Drosera rotundifolia at point C, then S. jonesii and S. purpurea var. montana at Point D. Then we'll find a hotel for Wednesday night. The next morning we will drive to point E where we will see more S. jonesii and S. purpurea var. montana and Drosera rotundifolia. Then down to South Carolina where we will see S. jonesii at point F. Then back to Charlotte to go to UNC Charlotte for lunch and a quick tour of their CP collection. Finally back to Raleigh for Thursday night. Friday morning we will leave for Croatan National Forest to see S. flava, S. rubra, S. purpurea var. venosa, Dionaea muscipula, Drosera capillaris, Drosera brevifolia, and Drosera intermedia at point K. Then we will go down to our lodging at the beach in Atlantic Beach, NC and relax for the rest of our day. Saturday morning we will return to Croatan to try and find more Sarracenia, including S. leucophylla. Then back to our lodgings in Atlantic Beach for the evening. Sunday morning we will leave our humble beach abode and head to Wilmington to the Stanley Rehder Carnivorous Plant Garden, then off to Columbus County to see S. minor, S. flava, S. purpurea, Drosera filiformis, Drosera capillaris, Drosera brevifolia in Columbus county, then back to Raleigh Sunday evening.

THE GREAT SARRACENIA TRIP by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Should be an amazing trip!

best of luck & be careful! Can't wait to see pictures!

I can't wait to see the pictures! Hope you find all the plants you're looking for.

Hey everybody!

So today didn't go exactly as planned. We left Raleigh later than planned and lunch in Asheville took longer than planned and we made it to point B on our map around 3pm. Here is a picture of some of the plants.

S. oreophila Colony Clay County by mcmcnair, on Flickr
While it may seem like there are a lot there you have to consider that this is the last place left in North Carolina in which S. oreophila can be found. These were my favorite clumps there. You need permission to go to this site and don't even ask me to take you there. My visit was a one time deal.

Anyway, we left about an hour and a half later and headed toward point C on our map which was supposed to have S. purpurea var. montana. Along the way we stopped in Macon County which is a hot spot for unique flora and fauna. We didn't really find much until I remembered visiting the area with a friend two years ago. We found sphagnum everywhere and it just so happened we passed by the places she took us. So we stopped again and looked but with no luck. However we did find some sphagnum hanging on the rocks by a very nice waterfall. We then continued on toward better things. As we drove I was looking for more sphagnum and hopefully some roadside CPs. I spied a large clump of orange and we stopped. It was everyone's favorite site of the day! Here's a few things we found.

Jackson County Roadside Site by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Orange Fringe Orchid, Jackson County by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Lillium michauxii Jackson County by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Not to mention there was D. rotundifolia everywhere! But no luck with Sarracenia there. Just to give you an idea of how close these plants were to the road here is a picture of Wireman and Ian both looking at different clumps of D. rotundifolia and the orange fringe orchid.

D. rotundifolia roadside site, Jackson County by mcmcnair, on Flickr
We then continued on and by the time we reached point C it was nearly 8pm so we quickly got out and rushed to the site where we found some of the ugliest, most etiolated S. purpurea var. montana I have every seen. This bog is so overgrown and far into succession it is amazing the plants are alive at all. I'll post more pictures later but its late and we have an early start tomorrow! Gnight everyone!

Great job, man! I'm jealous of both your photography and being able to see all these plants in the wild.

Super jealous of your trips! Awesome pics!

We just got back from out 5 days in the field. I'll contribute with some awesome photos.

The first day we went to see Sarracenia oreophila, the last remaining site in NC. It was incredible, as you can see in the photos.

Polygala cruciata by Wire Man, on Flickr

Polygala curtissii by Wire Man, on Flickr

Untitled by Wire Man, on Flickr

Polygala curtissii by Wire Man, on Flickr

The next day we went to see Sarracenia purpurea var. montana and Sarracenia jonesii. We even hopped over to SC to see an incredible cataract bog!

Polygala sanguinea by Wire Man, on Flickr

We then went down to the coast to hike a power line. We found a massive, massive field of S. flava, as you can see.

Polygala ramosa by Wire Man, on Flickr

Alright guys, after the silliness of Grahama up there (no thats not a typo its his actual nickname). Here's a teaser about what I'm working on posting soon.

Cataract-Bog by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Back