What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's a nice surprise!

My wife and I were out hunting for chantrelle mushrooms today..
While wandering around, we quickly realized our woodlands had suddenly turned into marshlands. We were forced to push through some thick brush and prickers trying to find our way back over to the path we came in on. It was at this time my wife (who's lower to the ground than I am), started hootin' and hollerin' about the mosses all around us. Having not noticed, she began to point my eyes into the right direction.. since I had no clue what she was talking about.
I crouched down a bit, and it didn't take long for me to to see what was hidden below the tall grasses we were trudging through..

I began snapping pic after pic after pic (with the iPhone) of the hundreds of thousands of D. rotundifolia that were as far as the eye could see.. When I caught my first glimpse of a very familiar flower..

Then there was another.. and another.. and another!!

After carefully placing my feet, I began folding all the grasses back to find quite a nice surprise.

We also found a BUNCH of fresh chantrelles!! Good eats..

Last edited:
What a killer mushroom hunt!

What a killer mushroom hunt!

I know, right.. turned out WAY better than we could have ever expected. Not to mention the 4Lbs. of chantrelles we found.

Ummm. Purps. My favorite! I wish I will stumble on some Sarrs one day. It was a very good day indeed!

Very cool. I saw a lot of rotundifolia this past weekend on Mt. Hood, but would have loved to see some pitchers.

Mato if you are ever on the coast around Lincoln City, give me a holler. I will show you a nice patch of wild rotundifolia on the lake out here if you are interested.

Nice!!! The purp from your neck of the woods is growing like a weed!

Very cool. I saw a lot of rotundifolia this past weekend on Mt. Hood, but would have loved to see some pitchers.

I saw the pics.. definitely getting more color/sun on your end than in this place.
I've seen wild purp pitchers before, but never open sarr flowers. Too bad all the seeds had already dropped..

Ummm. Purps. My favorite! I wish I will stumble on some Sarrs one day. It was a very good day indeed!

hey alright.. my favorite sarr too!

Wild find, Mass. That's cool. Love the rotunds. Did you leave the grasses pulled back to let a little light in, or put it back the way it was?

Never had a fresh chantrelle. I'll have to find some.

how cool is a successful mushroom hunt with benefits?

how cool is a successful mushroom hunt with benefits?

so cool?

Wild find, Mass. That's cool. Love the rotunds. Did you leave the grasses pulled back to let a little light in, or put it back the way it was?

Never had a fresh chantrelle. I'll have to find some.

Nah, we just backed away slowly after taking a few pics.
They're delicious! July is their peak month..

Wow, I couldn't imagine stumbliing upon something like that. Very exciting.

mass: nice pictures ! very prolific walk lol

thanks for sharing !

I would looove to find even one species of carnivore while out walking through the wilds. Thanks for the photos.

Thats awesome mass im jealous that would have been a day to remember. Ive been recently saving up some funds to head out to a darlingtonia site. I hope my trip is as exciting as your mushroom hunt.

*plays Legend of Zelda jingle* YOU FOUND A THING!!!!!!!

All joking aside, what an awesome find! I'd love to just tromp around in the woods and stumble upon some carnivorous plants. Alas, up where I live in Ohio, there probably aren't any carnivorous plants within fifty miles of my house.

SWEET Travis! So far, I have not found any wild sundews in my wanderings through the woods, so jealous.

Just in the right place, with the right person I suppose.
I guess the best part is the peace of mind in knowing the plants we love so much are out there.. whether we know it or not.
And to see them flourishing like they were, such a happy thought.

I guess the best part is the peace of mind in knowing the plants we love so much are out there.. whether we know it or not.
And to see them flourishing like they were, such a happy thought.
I couldnt have said it any better.

Back