What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia Conservation

Hello,

While this is not a major emergency call to arms type of post, I hope that it will still generate a response out of this community.

I am looking to start a non-profit centered around the conservation of Darlingtonia. While this genus is not particularly at a high risk of dissappearing off of the face of the planet right now like some less fortunate cp's, I would still like to start a program to help the sites of these plants that are being destroyed or that might be soon.

This is a list of possible threats to Darlingtonia from Barry Rice's website:

"Land development is proceeding slowly but surely. Homes are going up in Darlingtonia territory, sometimes right across from Darlingtonia sites. It cannot be long before people start thinking about draining and "reclaiming" those Darlingtonia sites.

Along with direct habitat destruction comes land fragmentation. I have seen several Darlingtonia sites which, while not destroyed outright, are on the edges of developed sites. I am sure those neighboring landowners are not looking forward to wildfires. Such wildfires are needed to open habitat for Darlingtonia. Wildfire prevention results in the degradation of Darlingtonia sites.

A fungus called Phytophthora lateralis is attacking Port Orford cedar trees (Cupressus lawsoniana, aka Chamaecyparis lawsoniana), killing them by a root rot. This grand tree is common in Darlingtonia territory, especially along streams in high quality Darlingtonia sites. What will happen to Darlingtonia if this important tree is removed from the system? Meanwhile, I have observed that the invasive shrub Cytisus scoparius can survive in the serpentinic soils that Darlingtonia loves so much. Cytisus scoparius, being a plant in the bean family, fixes airborne nitrogen via bacteria. Will this plant enrich the soils so that Darlingtonia can no longer live or will the nitrogen simply be washed away with no effect? Might Darlingtonia be physically displaced by this shrub by being shaded out?

Bad grazing practices damage sites.

Many Darlingtonia sites occur on rich beds of nickel ore. If and when the market changes so that it becomes cost-effective to mine nickel, entire mountains will disappear into refineries. The Darlingtonia on these mountains will not stand a chance. "

I have also noticed that some sites are being drained for campgrounds in the Siskiyou mountains. I think that it would be best to start a conservation program for the plants before they are at the point where they desperately need one, and prevent the habitat loss of this genus that would otherwise be inevitable in the years to come.

If you are interested in this I have also created a Facebook group to help garner support: https://www.facebook.com/groups/403532719853176/

Thanks for reading!

Back