Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mackinac and Emmet County, Michigan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow, I haven't seen them growing from areas like parking lots or sidewalk cracks, which I hope to not see regularly either. Supposedly there is a large population at the hospital in Michigan City as well. I hope the DNR will take care of the ones at the Nature Center.

I know they are hidden throughout the state park, but I haven't really searched for them as much this year. Some INPAWS members have found others in the upland areas, but as I understand it, they are well off the trail and kept secret (which is understandable). Within the Cowles Bog wetland complex I see them fairly regularly while working. So far it has been a couple different Cypripedium species, Platanthera lacera, and most recently P. clavellata in the sites I've been in. I believe the P. ciliaris should be in bloom now, or soon, at Pinhook as well.

I think I have thoroughly derailed this thread as well, sorry about that.
    Last edited by chevyguy8893; 08-02-2015 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
    Oh wow, I haven't seen them growing from areas like parking lots or sidewalk cracks, which I hope to not see regularly either. Supposedly there is a large population at the hospital in Michigan City as well. I hope the DNR will take care of the ones at the Nature Center.

I know they are hidden throughout the state park, but I haven't really searched for them as much this year. Some INPAWS members have found others in the upland areas, but as I understand it, they are well off the trail and kept secret (which is understandable). Within the Cowles Bog wetland complex I see them fairly regularly while working. So far it has been a couple different Cypripedium species, Platanthera lacera, and most recently P. clavellata in the sites I've been in. I believe the P. ciliaris should be in bloom now, or soon, at Pinhook as well.

I think I have thoroughly derailed this thread as well, sorry about that.
    That's alright, I did aid a little in setting it off track but no worries. I have spoken with some of the rangers before about various plants at the Dunes and they often talk about the secrecy of their locations. Some of them only know of the possible existence of some plants through rumors. Secrecy is the only way these plants can stay protected.

I always love going to Pinhook, I'm not sure if I'll be able to make a visit there this year though. I have spotted one or two P. ciliaris there before but more commonly I see Cypripedium acaule and Pogonia ophioglossoides. P. ciliaris always seems to be too far from the boardwalk to get a picture.

Here is a picture of Pogonia ophioglossoides I took while at Pinhook.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12