Likes Likes:  8
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ebay seller collecting wild seeds

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Major red flags are if the seller will not or cannot supply certificates or tells you not certificates or permits are required.

If you are importing seeds or plants to the US without the proper permits, certificates and quarantine inspection then you are doing so illegally and unethically.

Snicker at me as you might for saying so, but you could end up learning the hard way as a (former) TF member did.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Snicker at me as you might for saying so, but you could end up learning the hard way as a (former) TF member did.
    Specifically: https://www.portlandmercury.com/feat...140283/planted

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Two things I should point out here:

Firstly most of that article is completely inaccurate. The author wrote it based entirely on a court affidavit (being unable to obtain any more reliable information,) which in itself was full of inaccuracies since the investigating agents really did not understand the matter they were investigating, and does not represent the actual charges filed in the court case.

Secondly, the illegal importation was not even his fault. The entire ordeal was over a single plant, which he was importing from a seller apparently recommended by other experienced growers in the US, with the understanding that proper paperwork would be included, and the seller did not provide. Apparently the government doesn't care, it's always the receiver's fault. I've personally talked to people who have gotten angry phone calls from inspection stations because nurseries accidentally included an extra plant in a box not listed on the phyto, threatening fines if it happened again in the future.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    Two things I should point out here:

Firstly most of that article is completely inaccurate. The author wrote it based entirely on a court affidavit (being unable to obtain any more reliable information,) which in itself was full of inaccuracies since the investigating agents really did not understand the matter they were investigating, and does not represent the actual charges filed in the court case.

Secondly, the illegal importation was not even his fault. The entire ordeal was over a single plant, which he was importing from a seller apparently recommended by other experienced growers in the US, with the understanding that proper paperwork would be included, and the seller did not provide. Apparently the government doesn't care, it's always the receiver's fault. I've personally talked to people who have gotten angry phone calls from inspection stations because nurseries accidentally included an extra plant in a box not listed on the phyto, threatening fines if it happened again in the future.
    All true, but this is still a cautionary tale that everyone here should heed.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    All true, but this is still a cautionary tale that everyone here should heed.
    Most certainly. I wouldn't ever consider importing plants from anywhere but an established nursery.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234