What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Aristolochioides wild seeds

• Thread starter Dennis88
  • Start date
To start: i do my best to not buy wild plants which is why i am writing this post. A reputable company is selling seed-grown N. Aristos sowed by Christian Kelin. What concerned me was that when I asked about the parents (I already have offpring from Wistubas two aristos from Jeremiah Harris) I was told that the plants were sowed from wild seed.

Do you guys know if Christian Klein collects from the wild? I am fairly certian that, with N. Aristo being critically endangered, seed collection is illegal.

His seeds are collected from the wild, as are Jeremiah's (not his aristo but most of his rare plants like edwardsiana). Most people I know think that wild collected seed isn't the worst thing, most seedgrown pure species plants for sale are from wild collected seed. Its not really a black and white issue, wild collected seed is more in the grey.

Nearly all of the rarer seed-grown plants that have been produced by J. Harris and many other major growers in recent years are horticultural, ESPECIALLY of any particularly threatened species in the wild, and same goes most of the seed-grown plants offered legitimately in the community. Very few leading horticulturalists in the community will ever condone permitless wild collection, and permits for the most sought after species are very few and far between. Species like aristo, edwardsiana, macrophylla, etc. have been flowered in cultivation and pure species produced, and they are entering the markets now. I cannot speak for Klein himself, but considering his connections and the number of species he already has access to I would doubt much if anything is coming from the wild there either.

Last edited:
There may be a handful of exceptions with confiscated seeds or new growers who brought in seeds that then couldn't be just thrown away, but wild-collection of highly threatened species is not a regular practice of responsible growers.

If you look at Christian's sale page carnivorsandmore he often sites Deni as a seed source, Deni is a seller of both poached seed and seed he produces at his place (look at his facebook seed sales group it's pretty obvious) Christian is also a memberin his private sales group. Christian also says "hybrids possible" on certain plants he sells which is indicative of wild seed. Also, in the case of JH while many of his sales plants are hort. produced, I have several plants from him eddy, atten etc. which are from wild-collected seed, as seen by the citation of the altitude they were collected at and the specific peak on the tag. I'm fairly certain wild collection of seed is much more common than you think Hawken. Of the seedgrown plants in my collection (most of which are from big-name nurseries and growers) over half are from wild-collected seed (as confirmed with the sellers).

Last edited:
How disappointing...with arrangement for permits and in hands of experienced growers, fine, but poaching is not okay, period.

Back