What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icps coservation

I'm not sure if this is the right section to do it in, but what the heck.  I think the ICPS conservation thingy was great.  I would like to promote it even further by encouraging people to trade the seeds.

If anyone has any rare seeds to trade of give away, you can post it here.  What the heck. I think most cp's are endangered anyway so post all cp's seeds here.

One of the nice things about the ICPS handling seeds of endangered species is that there is more control of the quality of seed. It also insures that the seed being distributed is from the actual species, not something that "might" be from the species. Currently the ICPS has at least one species of cp that is CITES protected in the seedbank.

Becoming a member gets one access to these seeds, although some are never listed and only available to seed doners. When obtaining seed of endanged species, one must also be experienced in growing similar species from seed. Although seed can fail for just about any reason, its always good to have experience when dealing with endangered cp seed.

I think this would still be good for those who are not extending there membership to the ICPS. But you are right. Do you think I should take this off?

mat,
I think the ICPS conservatation intent was two fold: decrease the demand for these rare plants and thus decrease the poaching of wild populations. And two, the reason for recieving two plants from different locations was to maintain the genetic diversity of the species and give the folks who got plants stock from which to do sucessful crosses. They hope that in turn we will donate the seeds back to the ICPS seed bank for redistribution. Mine are growing like gang busters BTW! Three new pitchers on both plants. The ICPS will be getting all my seed.

Oh. I should probably take this off then. To bad i'm not sure how.

Has any one got seeds that is only available to seed doners? What kinds of seeds do they have?

Back