What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great news for okefenokee

Hi all!

Great news. DuPont has donated 16,000 acres of open pine land to the Okefenokee Swamp. DuPont had originally planned to strip mine it, but it looks like they had a change of heart.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/0803/27swamp.html

Next time I need a product that DuPont manufactures, I think I will buy their brand and send them a letter to let them know why I bought it.

I wonder...how many Wal-Marts can you put on 16,000 acres?

That is the best news I have heard in a long time. I am thrilled!! I live in GA and remember very vividly visiting the swamp in high school. Way to go DuPont! Finally another big company doing the right thing. I suggest sending them letters congratulating them on the right choice. I am sending mine.

That's fantastic! One of these days I have to get myself down to GA, and check this swamp out for myself.
biggrin.gif

Wow...that's excellent news! There is so much bad news around with developments and such, it sure is nice to see a corporation doing the RIGHT thing for a change. Way to go, Dupont!

Sorry to look at it the other way, but they WERE going to destroy it. I wouldn't trust them and I bet a great deal of people at the top of the company wouldn't have cared if the place had been destroyed.
confused.gif

Alvin,
You are probably right BUT this time we won and they have relinquished mining rights to the adjacent acerage. The fight is not totally over because another company can come in and reinstate the mining rights to that property and devastate it. Tell Dupont you applaude their decision to give the land to the state of Georgia. It WAS the RIGHT thing to do!

info@dupont.com.

I think we have to applaud DuPont for saving this land. No matter what their motivation for doing so. In the end they did the right thing. I'm sure that they did it for their public image, but in the end they did the right thing.
I don't know alot about DuPont's environmental policies. In North Carolina  I toured the Dupont plant outside Fayetteville that makes coatings for windshields. I didn't see anything that would damage the environment but I don't know what they discharge into the nearby Cape Fear River. The plant is off Hyw 87 and when you ride by the plant you can't see it. They have it landscaped so that it looks like it's the entrance to a wildlife sanctuary.  There's a park for the employees family's with a lake. You'd never know that there's a major industrial plant behind the trees. I think that we should support any company that choose to do the right thing especially if they sacrifice millions of dollars in the process. No matter what their motive, If it's a PR decision, or if they did it because they truly care. It's true that their initial intent was to destroy the land and to put the rest of the Okefenokee Swamp in jeopardy through runoff from the mine. In the end they did the right thing, and that deserves our support. I've done more than my part to destroy cp sites in the past, and that's why I'm so set on saving them now. I nor DuPont can change what was done or what was intended, we can only change what we do in the present.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
International Paper Co. will retain timber rights on the property through 2080. However, the company says it is committed to "sustainable forestry" practices to protect wildlife and maintain aesthetics for visitors' enjoyment of the forest. The firm also pledges to build and maintain hiking trails through the woods.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

!!!The following statements are personal opinions/observations and do not necessarily reflect/represent the opinion of the ownership of these forums. If anyone has any problems with the statements I have made you are free to discuss them with me at voodoodancer@hotmail.com or just reply in this topic. There's no need to contact anyone else at petflytrap.!!!

I don't feel the same about International Paper. They have a very good PR that puts up a very convincible image. I know for a fact that they care only about money. I have seen the damage they have done in the Green Swamp and to one of the best cp areas in the world. I've heard their denials and lies, and I've seen them spraying herbicides from a helicopter.
Check out this topic for more info on that.
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....=24;t=5

I found this and I think that DuPont deseves a little praise for it's actions here too, even though I don't think there are any cp's here.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/dnap/location/dupont.htm

One of the best remaining riverine marshes in Ohio, excellent site for viewing wildlife.
DuPont Marsh was made possible by a gift from the DuPont Chemical Company to the Ohio Chapter of The Nature Conservancy, which in turn made a gift of this preserve to the division in 1980.
Most of the preserve consists of a marsh situated along the edge of the Huron River. The vegetation varies with the depth of the river; pondweeds and water-milfoil being in the deepest water, with burreed, cattail and spatter-dock occurring closer to the shore.
Other interesting species in the marsh include water-dock and pickerel-weed. One of the most significant species occurring in the marsh is the leafy blue flag, a state endangered plant. Few river marshes still remain anywhere in Ohio along the streams flowing into Lake Erie.
DuPont Marsh plays an important role in the life history and nutrition of Lake Erie fish and waterfowl. The higher ground adjacent to the marsh was formerly pasture and farmland. These areas are now occupied by typical old-field vegetation such as hawthorn and locust.
Located on the east side of the Huron River, 3 miles upstream from Lake Erie on C.R. 126 (River Road). Parking area available near water tower on River Road. Trail system and seasonal restrooms. Managed by Erie MetroParks. For information, contact 419-625-7783.

Way to go Du Pont, Maybe this company really does care about more than just profits.

Thanks Ozzy for sharing the link. I'm just wondering how many other profit-hungry corporations are doing something to help protect the environment.
smile.gif

Back