What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Native species, conservation, etc.

Hello all!!
I've been wanting to start something like this for a while, and now is the best chance!!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif
 First, I will tell you places that you could find info about CP's native to your area, in order of credibility:

1) Updated wildflower books: I am a pretty avid wildflowerer (if that's a word), and I always see all Cp species in my state (at least that I'm aware of)

2) Internet: Sometimes these can best the books, if it's your state's parks and wildlife site. Some "home made" sites may list introduced or no longer existing species...

3) Museums, field biology centers, etc.: These are a bit iffy, due to the fact that there aren't too many dedicated CP biologists out there  
rolleyes.gif

confused.gif

4) Older wildflower books: Sometimes just as good as new ones, but you never know the crdibility, if the names have changed, or something else... Downsides are similar to "home made" web sites.

Now that I'm done with that, I will list the species native to Texas: (Rampuppy, Phil, I beat ya to it!
tounge.gif
)

Utricularia gibba
Utricularia subulata
Utricularia inflata
Sarracenia alata
Drosera brevifolia
Drosera capilaris

The three Utrics can supposedly be found in my area, and gibba, surprise, surprise, isn't even remotely threatened. I am unaware of the status of U. inflata and U. subulata, although they seem prolific in the places that they do grow, but then again, so do the Sarrs.
confused.gif

The Sarracenia alata supposedly only lives in isolated areas in eastern Texas. Jeff (Jaie said he knew of a few places, but with him at colledge (sp?), I am unaware of these sites still) Phil, Rampuppy?

Drosera brevifolia supposedly grows in sidewalk cracks in some parts of Houston during the wet season, as well as alongside S. alata.  Drosera capilaris grows alongside Sarracenia alata in wetlands and bogs.

If anyone knows of any CP sites in Texas, I will start some sort of protection, reintroduction program right away!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Drosera brevifolia supposedly grows in sidewalk cracks in some parts of Houston during the wet season, as well as alongside S. alata[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
don't you mean drosera rotundifolia?
wink.gif

No, there is indeed a species called Drosera brevifolia... Unless the name has changed since 1997
confused.gif
BTW, do you have anything to add to this, Spec?
confused.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

NEBRASKA -
Urticularia vulgaris
UTRICULARIA MINOR

Purpurea

There are others mentioned, but I have to confirm.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lithopsman @ June 02 2003,1:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, there is indeed a species called Drosera brevifolia...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I know that, I was saying you mixed brevifolia up with rotundifolia, or was it me who mixed them up? I thought the savage garden said rotundifolia were found in the cracks of sidewalks, not brevifolia, but he does have alot of mistakes in his book
wink.gif
wow.gif
sad.gif
confused.gif
alien.gif

I don't know if that's a mistake or not, all I know is we have brevifolia, at least according to the wildflower books, but they could be wrong... I hope to raise some money to replinish a few bogs in my state, that would be AWESOME!!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
First, I have to find sites that bogs are/were located, so I can replenish them...
confused.gif
wink.gif

You have to be careful when you introduce new plants into a bog. You could introduce a different variety to that bog, or that bog could have a variety that's unique to that bog. If you plant something in that bog that isn't that variety and their genes get's into the gene pool, that variety will be gone forever. Just say you have a bog that has coppertop S.flava's, and say this is the last bog that has them. You what to help by planting some S.flava's that you bought at a garden center. If you plant that plant with the coppertops, and they breed together, coppertops would be gone forever. I know this example is extreme but I just want you to see the dangers. If you can confirm that the plant that you plan to introduce is the same variety and the same genetic makeup as the population of the site then there should be no problems.

Alaska:
U. vulgaris
U. minor
U. intermedia
P. vulgaris
P. villosa
D. anglica
D. rotundifolia

I've managed to locate all of our native species in the wild. I think the most important thing is learning what conditions the plants like and then finding those habitats. In my experience wild flower field guides aren't very specific about habitats. Just my personal experience though
wink.gif

It is definitely D. brevifolia in Houston, not rotundifolia (according to Peter D'Amato) - despite having no experience of Texas, the chances of D. rotundifolia growing in Houston are very remote.

Lithopsman, what do you mean by replenishing bogs? If you mean randomly planting CPs into them, don't do it, native or otherwise. As far as I am aware, the problem is not one of CP loss but of habitat loss or degredation due to drainage, water table lowering etc. and colonisation by woody plants. Protection and habitat restoration would be great so long as you know what you're doing, but planting a few extra Sarracenias or sundews won't do any good at all.

Giles

Support Ducks Unlimited's wetland conservation and restoration program.

If the habitat is intact and healthy, the native plants will take care of themselves.

What I mean is first get a lot more information on the individual plants in the bog, their growing habits, etc. I will definately get the ICPS volunteers involved, maybe the seed bank could contribute... Also, I would only restore/protect only bogs that are being attacked by invasive species overgrowth, or being dammed for local water needs, but not just going around planting random Sarr.s and sundews... Sorry for the confusion! Good luck to all conservationists!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

That sounds great, and best of luck with it. I agree with Seminole.

Giles

Anyone interested in US cp conservation or determining which cps are in their area should definately buy or borrow Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada by Schnell. It has by far the best descriptions of plant habitat that I've seen, and I've found it invaluable for tracking down carnivorous plants in New York for me to photograph.

CP native to New York, all of which are listed at various levels of being endangered:
Sarracenia purpurea spp. purpurea
Pinguicula vulgaris
Drosera rotundifolia
Drosera intermedia
Drosera filiformis spp. filiformis
Utricularia inflata
Utricularia juncea
Utricularia minor
Utricularia radiata
Utricularia striata

Just a note of caution.. from what I understand, Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada by Schnell is fairly accurate for the continental US.. but for the northern regions such as parts of Canada and Alaska.. the range maps were so far off it wasn't funny
tounge.gif
many of the plants simply can't grow where his maps indicate. I know that that doesn't affect most of you.. I just thought I'd mention it  
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I do agree that his book is a little off for the north, but for me,
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Two very good organizations that buy and then protect cp and wetlands sites are

Meadowview Biological Research Station

and The Nature Conservancy

Some of the best cp sites are owned and managed by these organizations and they are open to the public.

If you want to support cp's these are two very good organizations to join and support.

Schnell's book has some very disturbing stories about formal cp sites. It shows how fast these sites are disappearing.

The book is good for finding the general area that a plant grows. I think that the ranges in the book are historical ranges and now meant to represent where plants are now growing.

I agree on the disturbing stories part, it's absolutely aweful what people will do for money!
sad.gif
mad.gif
On a better note, I found a local place that works for CP conservation where they still grow in my state!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

I have a chance to buy 160 arces of wetlands. This is in Minnesota. I would like to see if there is any state help in protecting and caring for this habitat. It is listed within green space and no construction is allowed, but they can always change the standing of the land around. I own 5 arces along side the swap area. The 5 arces is grandfathered in so I can build a home on it, but I hope the rest stays green space.

Back