What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog destruction

Nick gave me this link and I was sickened by this. The sad thing is that this is happening all the time. I've seen it time and time again in NC. I can't really think of any words to say right now, maybe I can find the words later.

If you have never read my signature read it now, This is exactly what it talks about.

oooooooooooooooooH , that makes me mad . what a beautiful site full of cps having been destroyed for a ******* darn furniture store . if i ever go to that store i'm gonna shove peat moss up those peoples ***'s . why was'nt anything done to save this bog , at least ebfore the bulldozers caem the plant should've been removed , there should be some law that befpre you start tearing things down to make land for something you have to some thing check the land before it is destroyed . this makes me so mad that i can eat metal
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Yeah, how dare these plants grow right where my store should be!

As to why, well someone decided that money comes first. Did the former owners of this land care, or even know, about what they had? Did our government officials act to preserve this National Treasure? Did *anyone* speak for these plants? Did anyone reach into their pockets for the money needed to prevent this from happening? Who raised their voice in protest? Did anyone educate the public as to the rare wonder right there in front of their very eyes, a treasure for future generations? Start a petition? Or were they all to busy being hypnotized by the T.V., being spoon fed a bunch of crap about what really makes life worthwhile? "I want more THINGS"!

Everytime I see a site like this I want to weep. I want to find out who did this and, and...........

Would YOU let this happen? Would YOU pay to prevent it? What if it meant giving up that new car, that new sofa? Would it be worth it? This is WAR people, and the battle needs YOU to put it on the line! Until we start getting involved, the money interests are going to roll right over places like this! Apathy is not going to save these habitats. Write to your elected officials NOW, send them the above URL, and tell them environmental concern needs to start getting some attention NOW. Shake off the apathy, and don't wait for someone else to do it for you.

I am sick, sad and sorry.

I hate these people...... I would rather look at flavas then shovel crap from that restruant into my life, Everyone, Not including us and the animal lovers, thinks for themselves and not even the The rare SP. of Butterfly or plant, they don't care that they are killing something that we might never again see in the wild, We can always see furniture stores or
Restruants!!!! This just sickens me, Let me tell you anthor story just like this other digusting story,

Last summer when we moved to our new house me and My Mom rode our bikes to this nice little nature reserve thingy some body made, There was everything I wanted, Fields Of grass and Wild flowers, A little creek where when you went near the edge frogs darted from my quick grasp as I tyed to Identify them, Woods that were filled With Majestic trunks and beds of moss one could lay on all night (IF there were no Misquitos...) and small pockets of short green grass covered in dew with Dragon flys and damselflys buzzing everywhere around us. A few weeks ago we drove by it and guess what we saw.....

The whole area was fenced off, we looked through the fence and saw something that was so disgusting  I cursed under my breath,       B U L L D O Z E R S. everything was torn down, no wild flowers,no Wheatish grass,no trees. nothing, total oblivion. Probably houses were going to be built. This angered me so greatly that I wanted a sudden decrease in earths population to stop the need for so many moronic areas of human colonization. I am soon going to write a letter to those stupid senaters who Just turn thier back on the Mayhem. I am royally ticked off.

your telling me , my favorite river was bulldozed over with sand , i used to go fishing at this small beautiful river and now its covered in sand , there were cool birds , lots of frogs , all sorts of wildlife , i even think there were some utriculari because far away i can see small yellow flowers on the water , and it all had to be blocked with a crap load of sand , now it just looks like a nighmare , they even cleared away some of the trees , makes me mad .

..........................................................................................
.............................................................i cant believe my god forsaken eyes. That enrages me sooooo much!
I don't know what to say, ill post something later,
Kevin

Now my posting abilities are back on thanks to Lynda
wink.gif
I will add my reply here....

That sickened my day here. Why would people do such a thing? Because they are un-educated on the United States and are paid big bucks to run a machine. I am very displeased with the way the Dept. of Environmental Conservation is set up.....I mean look at the Dept! They might as well be the Dept of Environmental Destruction. Up here they are useless as well just enforcing laws about deer rather than do something for ALL wildlife. If I had tons of money i would buy all that land and fence it off to protect it....why don't people care anymore?
sad.gif

It is so true that we take paradise and put up a parking lot. One day, it will all be parking lots.

7/3/2003

Today is a sad day for America, as well as the rest of the world. For at precisely 10 O'clock AM on July 3, 2003, the ground breaking ceremony for a new shopping center began as three bulldozers rolled into the last of the remaining carnivorous plant habitats in the United States of America. The once beautiful bog, located in a glacier carved valley, has now been turned into piles of debris which will soon be covered with fill dirt and leveled. The bog once was home to the Northern Purple Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea) and Round Leaf Sundews (Drosera rotundifolia). The sleepy town that once was over ten miles from the bog had grown rapidly and suitable new developments were a top priority for contractors in the area.

Naturalists and Conservationists have tried over the last 10 years to save over 100 Carnivorous Plant sites in the United States without success. Although several U. S. carnivorous plant species had been put on the Federal Endangered Species List, the laws and regulations in place were simply not enough. Carnivorous plants in the United States have lost the battle of Man versus Nature. Today only a handful of American Carnivorous Plants can be found in private collections of growers around the world. Gone is the day when the public could easily view these natural wonders in their native habitats as these habitats are parking lots for shopping centers and fast food restaurants.

It hasn't happened......yet.

I think I can think clear enough to respond to this now.

I emailed the guy that put up the website and asked if he would come here to make a response. Here's his reply:

Well I tried to add a story to the forum but it seemed to dissapear into oblivion. I'm out of time too. I'll be adding more new pics to my website soon. 
R. Zerr

I'll see if he'll come back and try again.

There is at least two sides to every story. There is no black and white line between right and wrong in all cases like this. Development must go on. Everyone of us drives on roads, shop at stores, eat at restaurants, use electricity, the internet etc, etc, etc, How many of you would give all that up? Not me, nor any one of you. We all have to compromise. Notice I said "all", That means we have to compromise some of our cp sites so other people can earn a living. And it also should means that some development should be stopped to save some of our cp sites. The big business has a very loud voice. The plants have no voice. We have to be the voice of the plants. We can't save every site, but if we do nothing no sites will be saved. That's why we have to fight to save every site that we can.
I used to live in Brunswick county, North Carolina. I worked there too. I'm a construction electrician so I have worked on hundreds of construction sites in one of the best places in the world for cp's. I worked on golf courses and hog farms two of the biggest threats to cp's in NC. I even worked at International paper mill in Riegelwood NC. They are the biggest threats to cp's in Brunswick County. Since I'm an electrician I never saw the land as it's bulldozed but I'm sure that I did my part to put thousands if not millions of cp's to death. It paid for my cars, my clothes, my food, all the stuff that I have. Of course that was before I really got into cp's. It's really hard for me to think about now. I think that guilt is why I'm so eager to do what ever I can to save as many sites as I can. And why it tears me up inside to see photos like the one on that website. Two of the most gut wrenching pics for me are the ones that's on Barry Rices website of the concrete truck http://sarracenia.com/photos2/habfl06.jpg and the for sale sign http://sarracenia.com/photos2/habfl05.jpg .

That's the reason I wanted to start this forum. So that if you had a site that is threaded you can post all the info about it here. We all can email, call, write letters, sign petitions to save a site. It may be too late for the site on that website but It's not too late for all the sites. I would like everybody here to do some research and find the closest cp site to them. Find out who owns it. Find out what his intentions are with the land. Let him know how special the plants are that he has. See if you can get his permission to take care of the plants and make sure they are not threaded by anything. Let us know about the site you've found. And if one day your favorite cp site goes up for sale buy it if you can. If you can't, and it's planned to be developed post it on here along with all the contact info you have on the county officials and planning board. Well start a drive to save that site.

if you read another post in this forum "Vermont cp's" you will read that my stepsister who is 28 has property with alot of sundews (i think D. Rotundifolia) and a few pings...but, she owns that property with only a quarter of what else can be found off her property.....theres a lake about a 10 minute drive from there house with a whole part of the shore covered with sundews. When I was there last summer..i noticed holes where plants had been dug up. I would like to see if this place was protected, from further wild collection.
                          Kevin

well...
that's about the most depressing thing i have seen for quite a while. i'm not qoing to preach about how these stores / shops / parking lots shouldn't be built or whatnot...

instead, i am asking all of you, to please give me some info and any tips you might have, as to reasearching if i have any possible cp sites around me. i live in the city, but i'm on the outer edges, with a lot of open spaces around.

i remember on the first bog trip, that there seemed to be skunk cabbage growing in the same areas as the cp's. is this common? are there other plants that i could be looking for, say, while driving down the road, that might indicate a natural cp site? or should i simply be looking around aimlessly for 1" diameter sundews?

peace,
technoracer
barberton, ohio

its no wonder the planet has no many problems. humans can't wait to build stuff to make money.... its a shame - we are slowly killing ourselves. my favorite line for Termanator 2 - when the little kids are playing with the toy guns ad arnold says- something like humans will be the cause of there destruction. other words we will kill off are on population. man if i new they were going to destory the bog area i would have brought abunch of people with me and spent days/hrs digging up as many types of cp that i could and just put them in pots and sell them to other people. if there is still some around go dig them up
smile.gif
i'm sure some people on this board would buy them including myself
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">man if i new they were going to destory the bog area i would have brought abunch of people with me and spent days/hrs digging up as many types of cp that i could and just put them in pots and sell them to other people. if there is still some around go dig them up i'm sure some people on this board would buy them including myself.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I know this is the first reaction that you have. I know your intent is very good, and you're thinking about the welfare of the plants, but it's not the best thing to do. There is a fine line between saving doomed plants and poaching. Taking plants out of a doomed bog selling them and making a profit on the destruction of a bog is wrong and it is considered poaching, and it's also illegal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying let the plants be killed. The best thing to do is to get permission to relocate the plants to protected bog that has the same species and varieties of plants.
As a last resort you should dig them up, keep very good location data, record everything date collected and reason they were collected and distribute them to as many "responsible" growers as possible. If the time ever comes the offspring of these plants should be used in restocking bogs.

I know that alot of the things i stated above will probably never happen, "restocking bogs ect." but you should be willing to do it if you want to do the right thing.

What needs to happen is to get the politicians that are not for the environment out of office (i.e. the Republicians) and get the pro-environmental politicians back in office (i.e. the Democrats) get the funding for enforcement back into the laws that have been written. Then we get some really good environmental lawyers who are willing to go after these developers who are destryoing these bogs. It will only take one or two law suits because once they catch one or two of them destroying a bog and the courts slap them with a heafty fine plus the cost of restoring the bogs. Can you imagine having to buy 10,000 sarracenia flava and leucophylla plants plus the cost to restore the hydrology, the soil structure and the ecologists to replant the bog? It won't happen again I promise. Word would get out and quick!

well ozzy your right i see your point - i would careless about the money thing. just thiking about saving the cps
smile.gif

It's pretty pathetic what people are willing to destroy so they can have more places to eat a cheese burger.
sad.gif

Were i live there was a small bog (don't know whether or not It had carnivorous plants, but I remember somebody said there was somesort of endangered plant in there) some stupid old man started to fill it in with dirt and a dollar general store was built right in the middle of it.
sad.gif

Luckly after the dollar store was built the guy who was filling in and selling the land got in trouble, and was forced to stop filling in the bog with dirt. After that I think the local high school purchased It for their science classes to study.

-warped
smile.gif

who knows what other cps have been destroyed because of this type of desctruction , we will probably never discover some new cps because they will be buried over ton of concrete .
mad.gif

I think I'm going to be sick. Thousands of acres filled with sarracenia and drosea just run over by people  with no care in the world. That just sickens me that the humans have no respect for the enviroment and what surrounds them.

Back