What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No laws to protect pitcher plants in nfld

• Thread starter vftinbc
  • Start date
I was browesing the web and I found this article at http://www.mun.ca/sgs/science/nov1877.html
Does anyone now if its true that native pitcher plants aren't protected by laws in Newfoundland?
sad.gif

the article did'nt work but from what i knew , a few people who i have known have actually collected a few s. purpurea purpurea and some sundew species in the wild in canada , they told me that it was legal and that the planst were abundant . so from what i hear i don't think there protected at all in canada , too bad since this plant represents canada .

That's cool! I'm a coin collector in my spare time after CPs and I would love to have that coin!

Sweet!

SF

I guess that coin is expensive sine it was from 1938

Probably. Though since it's a penny, it might not be worth more than a couple of bucks. Still, as my brother would put it, "Who would pay 500 cents (five bucks) for a penny?" Of course, if it was say a 1909 S VDB Lincoln Penny, I would!

SF

Couple of quick thoughts on this.

As a general rule, all provincial flowers are protected (confirming that as we speak), just not well enforced (lack of staffing, really isolated locations etc.)

goldtrap (please don't take offence) I had to chuckle about this one "too bad since this plant represents canada". It's a big country and cp's only grow in few very small portions of it.

On the protected topic though, I can't speak for the rest of the provences, but I do know that in British Columbia any collecting of wild plants not on private property is a really big no no weither the plants are protected or not. Again though there is the problem with staffing for officials and the remoteness of many locations.

I have this guide to local flora and fauna for BC and it says there are some Pinguicula vulgaris and Drosera rotundifolia in the area.

That there are, my sister and I used to swim in a lake whose edges were teaming with dews. She went back there this summer and apparantly they are all gone... no clear reason why.

Just an update on the NFD laws, you got me thinking and it occured to me that it has been quite a few years since I looked into anything similar to this and the laws may have changed so I put in a few calls and emails yesterday. When I hear back I'll let you know.

Sorry but I haven't had much time to respond to this or some of the other topics.
Maehem, have you heard anything about the laws of BC?

Haven't heard back yet (wasn't expecting to till sometime next week) I will let all know as soon as I hear.

Back