What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flytrap Dormancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings!  I live in Raleigh, NC and winter weather is not far away for my little flytrap, which leads me to two questions:

1.)  What should I do with my flytrap during winter?  Currently, it lives in a small pot outside on my deck with a mesh umbrella shading it, and come this winter, it will most likely snow.  I know that it loses its traps and such, but will it be okay covered in snow?  If that's too cold, I was thinking I could maybe keep it in the garage where it's not quite as freezing as outside.  Any suggestions as to where to put my little one?

2.)  I've noticed that its roots are poking out of the bottom of the pot, which leads me to think that it needs re-potting.  Any tips of how and when to do this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!  
smile.gif

Hello Snugulz... Welcome to the forums
smile.gif

Im not sure why you posted this here, one of the mods will undoubtedly move it to the VFT forum soon.
Raleigh is on the northernmost tip of the VFTs natural range so I would suspect that it will do just fine outside in full sun (you can ditch the umbrella for shade, VFTs LOVE sunlight) As for winter I would say that they will probably do just fine outside, perhaps bring them indoors on the days you know there will be snow, or at the very least keep them under an overhang or something so that they are protected from the rain/ snow.

Vfts dont have very large root systems, I suggest that you make 100% certain that it is indeed roots that you are seeing before you attempt to repot. VFTs will grow very happily in a 3 inch pot for quite some time. If you do decide to repot, I suggest that you wait until nearly springtime. Right now your plant should be preparing for dormancy. Idealy you do not want to interfere with that process. Around late January is a good time to repot. The plant will still be dormant so the disturbance of the roots will not affect the plant too badly and springtime will spark new growth to replenish the plant after the stress of transplanting.

Good luck with your plant
Steve

I tried to move it but I can't. I'll check why.

Hey Ozzy.. You are native to this area.. Did I miss anything important?

Steve

There's a VFT Forum? Hmm... I shall have to check again. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back