What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Sarracenia Collection Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can I say, but I am shocked. I have always wanted to play a big part of this, but I never considered actually quarterbacking it.

I am going to need some time to consider this, but I will only take it under consideration if Bugweed will be my "running mate" so to speak. I may have the business skills and drive, but I do not know the politics or major players in the cp world.

I would like to ask PAK to start writing up our mission statement. Your writing skills are matched by few, and I think you could make it read much better than I.

Anyone elses thoughts?

Paul

Hi all Justin here of course I vote yes I'm am willing to work as a PR REP.In the
Houston,Galveston,TX area. Casper I,m only about 6 hours from you so if you need
anything you have but to ask.My job is in environmental affairs so if anyone knows the sites to search regarding collection,legal viability of a NPO,or anything you feel is essential for sucess, post the links for us all.The more information we have at our disposal the more effective we can be.I do have a
good deal of growing space to offer if it becomes a need.I certainly have any
supplemental lighting(2 400MH & 175MH)as well as being able to segregate diff. species.Considering the amount of info to be accumulated and posted to"members" a web site is a great idea. This way, we can keep our topics more neatly organized.I would encourage everybody to become privy to any info given wether or not you feel it's your strong suite,When spreading the word the more questions you can answer the more effective you can be.I,m always willing to learn so even if there are areas I'm not knowledgable in I WILL LEARN
AND I WILL HELP AND WE!!!!! WILL! MAKE! A DIFFERANCE!!!!!!!!!

Yes, and I can offer my grow space and services. I love growing sarracenias and have a decent amount of space. I don't have the perfect climate but I've successfully grown many sarracenias (until they started mysteriously dying the last few months
mad.gif
). I also have experience in pollination and seed germination.

Peter

I can offer growing space and maybe space for stratification of seedlings.  If there is anything else I can help with, please feel free to ask.  Since I am in Washington State, I am a bit far from the front lines, but I am willing to help out.  I am an analytical type of person; charts, graphs, numbers, trents.  I should have majored in statistics instead of elementary education, but who would teach my wonderful sixth graders this year!

If there are any of the plants in my collection that need to be donated to the cause, I am all for that. I do have an S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana currently.

I am not sure if I support it. It seems to have a lot of emphasis on collecting plants from the wild, and little on determining how much is already in collections.

I could understand if its goal was to rescue plants from bogs that are about to be destroyed, or to educate the public on Sarracenia, or to try and protect remaining bogs. But it seems to be focussed on taking a few plants from every bog that it is possible, and putting them into collections.

There are an awful lot of Sarracenia in collections already. Perhaps, they aren't representative of many populations. But, they seem to be a resource the Sarracenia collection is not foccussing on.

Perhaps, if collecting is the way people plan on going about this, we should map which species from which locations are already in collections, and focus on collecting from areas that are not represented only, if at all.

I know this is U.S. project... just wanted let you all know you have some support "North of the Border".

I hope to expand on my sarracenia collection this year.

biggrin.gif

carnivorous23, You should read the 14 other pages this poll came off of. It would tell you that we intend to look at the captive specimens first, collecting seed or plants would be secondary, legally done, with full documentation as to where and why. All above board, sir. The stands are disappearing so fast, we want to preserve the biodiversity that is left out there, before it is gone forever. And we want everygrower in the US and Canada to have the plants from specific locations that so many serious collectors want. If something becomes commonplace, no one will buy it from someone asking a ridiculous price for it. A poacher would rapidly lose his incentive to take what is no longer valuable as all would have it. Thats' right, Appendix 1 plants as well. And we write to whomever to get the permission we need for legal collection purposes, if those services are required. "Nuff said.

I would be happy to contribute to this effort. My contribution at this point would be financial only, as I have neither the room nor time to assist in ways that I would prefer to. Let me know.

Capslock

I would like to have a project assigned to me.
I have good interpersonal skills, and I'm good on the phone (gotta talk to customers at work and all), so I can certainly make phone calls to organizations like, for instance, the New York Botanical Garden.
I teach, so I can offer my services as such. If there is a class that needs to be taught, I can help.
I can also offer a small amount of grow space.
And any other tasks, just ask! I'm happy to provide whatever other services that are needed.

Schloaty, I do have a project that I need to assign. We need to find out what material is currently present in collections with as much data as possible. If you accept the task, you can decide wheather you want to start a new thread, or handle it by p'ms or what not. I would prefer not to congest this thread with it though.

Paul

Hey Folks,

As I posted in my long note to the main discussion thread on this, I'd be willing to help in a number of ways.

1)I could help in the drafting of a charter/business plan.

2)I could help be a canary-in-the-coalmine, and tell you which ideas are likely not going to work with Fish and Wildlife, etc.

3)When it gets going, I could donate plants.

4)I could help you seek ICPS Funding.

Good luck!

Barry

Thank you , Barry, for validating my idea. I am pleased to see as many as I have, respond to this project, and it makes me feel good that I brought this up to Tamlin. And as you see, it is growing leaps and bounds. We can make a difference in the fate of our bogs, and with all of you, we may even be able to slow or stop the developer who will not work with the earth and work with the plants in his plan. Preserve the earth, and its precious cargo. It is up to us!

I live in south Georgia,so I have perfect growing weather and I have growing space.I have only been growing for a year now,have'nt killed any sarrs
tounge.gif
so I think I could grow them.And I have a S.minor with location data.So thats all that I can offer.

Jerry
smile.gif

I can offer some space for growing. I live in town but should be able to provide space for 50-100 plants if needed. I would be best for Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea. I can also work on the collection of seed from Ohio bogs with proper permissions.

I am in.  I am able to help in absolutly any way possible. Just send the word!

Cole

The NECPS is looking for projects like this one. We might be able to work something out with the New England Botanical Gardens in RI.

I haven't voted one way or the other yet. I like what I have read so far from everybody, but I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon until I know where it's going. If this project flies, I have S. alabamensis plants from ICPS locations 002 and 003 and I will be happy to donate my extras and seeds, when I get them, to this project.

smile.gif

BCK

BCK, We know nothing of bandwagons. We do love our plants though. With Barry with us, and Carl Mazur sure to help us, why would you drag your feet? Read the , now 15 page, thread on the conservation station for the full story. We have the project moving along at a good pace, and are handling all legal issues surrounding this project. Quit hanging back, BCK, read the whole thread, climb on board, and help out. I could suggest you get off the ship and find another way to sail, but I don't want to lose one good hand from this project when we need you all. C'mon BCK, get going along with us, and save our plants. (Is there a bandwagon hidden in here somewhere?)

I would absolutely love to be involved in this project. Outside of my wife and kid, there is nothing else that occupies my mind besides the genus Sarracenia. Oh, and the Packers. It has always been a dream of mine to have a large greenhouse with a full-scale breeding/propagation program in place. I have quite a large Sarracenia collection now (which unfortunately has no location data), and I've been doing breeding for two years now. Unfortunately, I am currently about maxed out for space, living in an apartment and all. However, my wife's job ends in about 6 weeks. We will then be moving to either Sidney, MT, Longmont, CO, or Frederick, MD (probably in that order of probability). I am hoping, and will try hard, to get a place wherever we move, that will have ample space for a greenhouse and other growing areas. I would love to be involved with this project on a growing/propagation scale. It appears by the time this project gets up and running, I, hopefully, will have adequate space/facilities to grow and propagate a much larger numer of plants than I currently have. There is also the real possibility that my wife will be able to make enough $$ so I don't have to get a real job and do this full time, in which case I would have her full support. Anyway, if I can be of any help in the near future, please let me know....
Thanks,
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back