What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes clipeata Survival Program

Hello folks,

Nepenthes clipeata is a plant that is extremely rare in the wild. There are, perhaps, only about 15 plants left! Back in 2000, several of us conservation-oriented botanists met at the ICPS annual meeting and put our heads together to try to figure out how we could protect this species.

We faced the fact that the native habitat for this species is degrading so rapidly that the plant will be extinct in the wild within about 20 years. When that happens, the only plants left of this species will be in cultivation. So the best way to help conserve as many distinct lineages of this plant is by networking with horticulturists, and starting that network NOW.

This idea turned into the Nepenthes clipeata Survival Program (NcSP).

To learn more about the NcSP, read the entry I have posted on the Carnivorous Plant FAQ, at:
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq4580.html
You can even download the work plan for the program.

How can you help the Program? If you grow Nepenthes clipeata, and especially if your plant is not one of the clones we already know about (from Andreas Wistuba's nursery), PLEASE complete the questionnaire that you can learn about at the FAQ link up above.

And THANKS for your help!

Barry

Wow! only 15 specimens left?! That is very sad,where they rare to begin with?
rock.gif

N. clipeata was alwasy rare mostly due to its unique restricted habitat. It gorws on the cliff faces of G. kelam and over collection from poachers and habitat destruction have made this plant the rarest pitcher plant.

Thats sad. I may have come-up witha new way to propagate it (at least N. clipeata x. (clipeata x, enyma)

only 15?

wow..

it's like when i read that my all surface thoughts stopped and my mind was blank..

Darn. The leaf-pullings of it failed. The pulling got roots and I think may have started to form a growth point but then the rubber band on my propragator broke and it dried out. Anyone else feel free to try it.

hi,

we should start a conservation program for all species of nepenthes.Development and road works have all bull dozed and buried alive common nepenthes -gracilis,rafflesiana and mirabilis.:O

I realize that this thread has long since died out, but I couldn't help but read it as it was a sticky. On to the point: What has the NcSP accomplished in the last 9 years since it started? I haven't heard any recent developments, announcements or anything...

... and is there any news about the state of wild Nepenthes clipeata?

Hi Clue,

I authored the article in Stewart Mcphearson's latest books regarding the survival of Nepenthes clipeata. I'll ask for permission from him to post it here for the record to those interested.

Happy Growing,

Brian.

Back