What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Massive poaching in apalachicola nation forest

• Thread starter Mike King
  • Start date
Let's hope that's true Imduff. I find it hard to believe that poaching could be that extensive. Believe me, I pray it is only drought, and that the plants will return in a better season, but if it is true, then a massive crime has occurred.

Let's just wait for the investigation and report, and also follow Pyro's good advice.

Also I agree, habitat destruction is the real problem, but if nothing has been done to stop this in 50 years, do you think there is really any hope of saving the remainder of the 5% that is left? The time to preserve is now, while there is still a chance of putting something in the bank. I never used to feel this way, but now what else is there that we can do?

I just hope the NASC effort works, and that an ethical collection can be made, overseen by those who know more than I do about it. One thing is certain, I am not going out to pluck any plants since I don't know what I am doing.

Ahhh, I get a headache whenever I read this thread! I am weary of fretting over it, and of feeling helpless on all fronts.
There is no winning this game I fear.

Imduff makes some very good points and I take responsibility for raising the cry but as a CP friend says best to err on the 'cry wolf' side. If nothing more it has opened the discussion on the NASC and what can be done. It seems that the site in question is not the 'Famed Red Tube' site but one adjacent to it off a side road, which makes it eaiser to poach unseen.

And the reports of the Yellow River site being wiped out are indeed true as Jim Miller and myself visited the site personally last Septmeber. Not a single plant was left. There was not so much as a Drosera to to be seen. I was sick. We visited several other sites that seemed and I repeat 'seemed' in peril. Progress is as certain as taxes and death. It is not a matter of if but when.

mad.gif
That sucks,people will never understand.

Jerry

Just for clarifacation, the Yellow River site was sprayed with herbicide by the power company that is why the eradication was so complete. On the up side, I was sent some seeds from someone who has some from that site. All is not lost.

Michelle and I were in Sumatra-ANF in early April just as the tubes were opening. It was still a little early for most flavas, but we stumbled around the areas immediately adjacent to the tower. Saw absolutely no signs of digging. There were red tubes, tons of slash throats, a few ornatas.
What was distressing for us was to see the huge stands of leucophylla near Pensacola being surrounded by new development. Their days are truly numbered.

Trent

There are many sites under powerlines that occasionally get sprayed. It's a waste of time, as the plants are replaced by invasive species. I know of a few sites in Virginia that got hit this spring. One of them was the best remaining flava sites in Virginia. There is very little that remains.
My friend sent a letter to the power company asking them to replace spraying with bush-hogging. The company's biologist returned a letter listing the benefits of using herbicide over bush-hogging. It seems hopeless to try to change this person's mind. This is something that needs to be pursued. There are still many powercut sites that still exist.
The Yellow River site has a long history. In the last 10 years it has been in a state of decline, due to mis-management. It's shame that it's completely destroyed.
imduff

Hey Folks,

Well, while the evidence is not in, it seems that this poaching anecdote may have been fueled by a simple confusion in sites. (This is my hope!)

In any event, I want to extend a special thanks to Pyro for being so on-top of this event, and also for showing a sensible degree of caution!

Later!

Thank you Barry, I appreciate that.

if they were poached.... that would be terrible... flava's are my favorite CP, plus that much oaching? tahst incredible!

wow last years plants look great. Thats terrible about the poaching though .
mad.gif
those plants are so nice
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My friend sent a letter to the power company asking them to replace spraying with bush-hogging. The company's biologist returned a letter listing the benefits of using herbicide over bush-hogging.

Seems someone needs to send a letter back listing the drawbacks to herbicide. After all, they are killing off a species.

Posted on the list serv today:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Okay gang,

Official this time: The site is there and looking good. We had some miscommunication about which site we were discussing, but I just got back from the area (I had some wonderful company on the trip, as Jay Lechtman was down from Virginia).

No evidence of poaching there, though the first flava spot on highway 379 (the cypress stand population) definitely had fewer red tubes than say, 1995 or so. The Pinguicula spot (one of my favorites), which had only stunted P. planifolia and NO ionantha in late May now has about two feet of water and there are thousands of ionantha and planifolia, often growing side-by-side. They have not reached the size of the specimens I saw last September (one ionantha measured over seven inches across), but they are taking off. If anything, there are more plants than last year. It's amazing to see how resilient these plants are if we will just give them the chance to survive. We also found P. primuliflora in the Forest for the first time. How cool is that?

Wrapping up, we saw some of the most amazing flava x purpurea hybrids and backcrosses. Jay was quite thrilled to see them and get some (hopefully) great digital photos to share. I shot another hour of video and I think I have some amazing footage for the next DVD. However, the original plan might change. I have so much great footage with the new camera shot here in the Florida panhandle, that I might limit the second DVD to just those areas. But I'm sure Jay will tell you, the footage will absolutely blow you away!!

Best regards to all (and glad we cleared up the red tube issue),
Jim

So now everything is good

I am glad that has been cleared up. Thanks for checking the site out Jim if you read this

It's nice to occasionally have good news to share re: CP health and happiness. All three of the S. flava var. rubricorpora (intermixed with var. rugelli and the occasional var. atropurpurea) that I know of in Apalachicola NF looked as good as (if not better than) I had seen them in the past 7 years or so.

Back