What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crestview cp site

As some of you may know from the list serve, Jay Letchman, Jim Miller and myself went bogging this past weekend along the gulf coast. Jim is working on the second installment of his DVD series, CPs of the Gulf Coast. One of the stops was a well known site in Crestview at the base of a radio tower. Jim and Jay had both been to this site some years ago are were horrified to see what was happening. When we got to the site it was in the early stages of development (i.e. the site had been ditched to drain it.) Jim immediatly began to video tape the site as an 'after' documentation for the DVD. He has slides of 'before.' Our prescence and his taping drew the attention of an individual, the property owner, who was quite irrate about our tresspassing. I think he was more concerned with Jim's video taping. From the ensuing conversatation, it seems that there had been a good bit of local opposition to the site being developed and the owner feared we were more of the same trouble. When we assured him we meant him no trouble, he was more at ease and said that all the proper paper work, applications and approval had been sought and accepted and that indeed the site was to be developed and there was nothing anybody could do to stop it at this point. He said," Since you are interested in these plants and I see you have two cars there, you are welcome to fill 'em up and take all you can carry." Heck bring the local college back and dig 'em all up for all I care." This was dishearting to say the least but, we had at least gotten veral permission from the land owner. The site had been badly degraded due to neglect and the site was dry despite the enormous rain the area has recieved. Trust me we just about drowned last weekend! A beautiful site was disappearing under poor hydrology and over growth. The long and the short of it was we were able to rescue many rubra ssp. gulfensis. Now, I am giving these plants away to anyone who wants them for the price of shipping ($4 -$5, probably more like $3.75). These are not prime specimen plants I warn you but neglected orphans that need a good nuturing home. Each recipient will get 3 -4 plants so they can cross them to produce good seed from this location. Crestview, FL. Radio Tower Site. Here is a chance to start on the goals of the NASC. E-mail be direct at thombrogar@aol.com. Be patient I imagine there will be many requests and it will take me a while to get them all mailed out.

Easy Designer was not cooperating with me earlier. Here is a pic of the Crestview site. You can easliy see the large ditch to drain the site in the center and the ensuing development marching down the hill.

crestviewsite.jpg

Good job, Brooks!! You, Jim Miller, and Jay all deserve our appreciation for this hard work. I can handle a few dozen for distribution over here to CP societies and such.

Good catch fellas. It sucks to see and hear of the situation. But at least it was caught in time to get some of them.
Andrew

I emailed you. I'd love to give some a good home. Maybe at some point they can be reintroduced to a habitat.

Maybe some of the existing CP societies could get involved and take some in? I'll talk to those in the Southeast Pennsylvania CP Society and let them know.

How about Colorado carnivorous plant society, contact jeremiah if he doesn't have any room at his place i could distribute some to the CCPS

Outstanding work! I emailed you.

Capslock

i'm in. email sent.

thanks for the opportunity to help out!

peace,
technoracer

I'll give some a good home,I will send an email ASAP.

Jerry

That's enough!! If any are left after this, we will let everyone know.

THANKS to everyone who has e-mailed! I am over whelmed! I have a list of everyone so far in order of request, about 20 thus far, which equates to about 60 to 120 plants. I hope there will be enough for everyone who wants some. This has made for a very heart warming follow up to a very disheartening site visit. It is my hope that all of these plants will thrive in your care and that the soon to be NASC seed bank will be over flowing with seed from this site. By doing this we will show the community at large that we are indeed serious about doing something. In the mean time send your seeds to the ICPS and show them as well we are serious about this endeavor to save these plants. Consider this a test run. I will start perparing boxes tomorrow. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH. We are making a difference and you are part of it.

will you include all the local info and all that with the plants so that i can make sure its documented on my end correctly? i like to have as much info as possible and these should have quite abit. or atleast post here all the info that is relevent that we should keep with the plants.

Rattler

Thanks for the opportunity to help preserve these plants. I look forward to helping preserve what we can. As you said, the site is going but we can fill the seed banks and ensure this particular plant doesn't die out.

Jeff

Hey Guys,

Well, it really blows to hear about the Crestview site going under. Bad news. But good for you to try to box up all those plants. It will take a lot of tape and baggies to get them all out your door!

I hope everyone who gets plants from you is willing to accept that the new arrivals will be shocked at the transplant, possibly carrying pests, and might also have some diseases too. So they might not grow great for the first year. But after some babying, if they survive, they might do just fine.

Cheers

Barry

The United States Post Office provides free priority mailboxes and tape for use for priority mail packages. You can even order it online for free.

What I want to know is why does this continue to happen? Don't they know they are taking away some of our last great places?

One can feel the hearts breaking in the CP community.
smile_h_32.gif

The information you will want in connection with these plants is:

Sarracenai rubra ssp. gulfensis, Crestview, FL., Okaloosa County, Radio Tower site.

Barry is correct. There is an infestation of xyra moths in these plants due to the lack of any recent fires. I will do my best to clean them before shipping. Look for continued activity as it takes two years from them to complete their cycle. I have crush the buggers on mine rather than risk a incesticide application especially since these are very stressed already.

Thanks Nick I am a pro at shipping and there is a P.O. at the end of the street. They know me by name. LOL

exactly what i was looking for. the envelope with shipping $ will be in the mail before i skip town tomorrow.

Rattler

For those of you who do receive plants from this once-incredible site (sigh), here are the coordinates:

30 degrees 42.679 North
086 degrees 34.290 West

i know how do people get away with this. dont they realize that they are destroying every where that plants grow or once grew eventually leading to nothing at all.:(
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Back