What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brunswick county

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Check this article out.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld....798.htm

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Posted on Mon, Aug. 02, 2004

N.C. GROWTH

Brunswick planners map out development

By Steve Jones

The Sun News

BOLIVIA, N.C. - Developers will submit plans for putting houses, commercial buildings and parking lots on 50 percent more Brunswick County acres this year than in 2003, if the pace seen in the first six months keeps up through the rest of the year.

The demand will only increase in the next few years, as the county's West Regional sewer system comes on line and officials solidify plans for new lines serving the southern end of the county.

"We've seen growth," said Leslie Bell, Brunswick County's planning director, "but we'll see a different type of growth."

Central sewage treatment and improved roads planned by the state Department of Transportation will not only bring more residential development to an area that's become an alternative to intensely developed Myrtle Beach and Wilmington, but there will be more commercial projects and mixed-use developments similar to Horry County's Carolina Forest.

The county is approaching what some anticipate to be an impending boom with a rewrite of its zoning ordinances, an update of its Coastal Area Management Act land-use plans and the creation of a unified development ordinance.

The combination will allow developers, elected officials and residents a clear picture of what Brunswick County should look like for the next 10 to 15 years.

Bell hopes to have the parameters ready within the next few weeks so consultants can bid on the zoning ordinances rewrite. With an eight-month timetable to completion, it will be the first of the three to reach fruition. The unified development ordinance, which will take development requirements and group them to be easier to use, is likely to take shape on a similar timetable. The land-use plan update is a two-year process.

Bell said the county expects the zoning rewrite will cost about $60,000. Officials chose to let consultants do the work because the county's five-person planning staff has all it can handle in dealing with an average three to five new projects submitted each month.

The county will direct the consultants to target a look at permitted uses in each zoning district, requirements for buffers between commercial and residential development and the use of performance-based development standards. The latter will give developers more flexibility in that standards will be tied to things such as setbacks and green space.

Bell said the county is not looking to change zoning classifications, but some areas may see their specific zoning changed to reflect the new sewer lines and roads.

He said the rise of mixed-use development may ease pressure on secondary roads. For example, if St. James were a mixed-use development, its 1,800 residents wouldn't have to rely solely on N.C. 211 every time they needed groceries.

Bell said he doesn't expect the rewrite to include any radical departures from existing policies. Officials still want less-intensive development and more green space than in either Myrtle Beach or Wilmington. He did say that the distinction between rural and agriculture classifications might be clarified in the rewrite. Now, he said, developers use the rural designation as a "holding" zone for property until they are ready to submit plans. With clarification between it and agriculture, potential buyers would know that the property next to theirs will be farmed and subject to the dust and fumes that come with growing crops.

Bell said the county wants residents and developers to be a part of the rewrite process. The consultants will be required to hold public meetings for input and feedback.

The county planning board will have the first chance to tweak planners' recommendations and make changes.

But the decision over the final wording will be up to county commissioners.

Bell wants to have a document ready for their consideration by June.

Since Brunswick county is one of the most well known cp locations in the country, you can be assured that this means alot of cp's will be destroyed. I don't think there is anything we as a group can do.

Once the infrastructure of sewers is there, development is on a roll that won't be stopped. Land has undoubtedly been changing hands for years as speculators run up the property values and cash in. Lots of people are looking to make a windfall and development restrictions threaten their profits. Unfortunately, by the time a prospective development makes the news, stopping the development is nearly impossible. Short of buying the land at the speculators price, anyway.

So, go see if any CP land is being developed, get permission, and save some plants. That's what we are here for.

I say we draft a letter to send to the county's development branch explaining NASC and its mission, and ask for permission to collect the plants that will be destroyed by this development. I think we should have a letter of this sort on file ready to send out any time we find an area with CPs that is going to be destroyed. How could they possibly deny permission to collect something that will be destroyed any way?

This is where the brochure and marketing materials come in. We have to show that is is a SERIOUS program and not just a bunch of plant nuts out to get a free plant. The more "official" everything looks, the more seriously it will be taken by counties and developers (I hope).

Only thing is...we'd need someone in the area to actually go there and find plants and do the collection.
confused.gif

Maybe we need to develop "rescue" teams in each state...sort of like a CP National Guard who is ready to go into action when the need arises. And also mapping of areas so we know where the CPs are?

I hate to see a site go without a FIGHT.
smile_h_32.gif

PAK, You are a genius! All points are valid, and the letter to the developers would be the thing to have. We need to get Casper in on this. Maybe it would light a fire and get him moving faster. He's probably doing all he can now, but we need to get legal. Who wants to help with North/South Carolina rescues?? Step up and be counted. I think Brooks and Jim Miller should lead the rescue if needed. Anyone else??

PAK, that is brilliant.
I wish I was closer, in these cases, as the 1980 CPN with the all red form(altropurpurea?) and others from Brunswick County were just amazing to me(still are).
I guess it just needs to be investigated whether this is cp land or not.

Joe

I love the CP National Guard idea! Glenn Petersen reporting for duty. You can count me in for Michigan and the nearby Great Lakes Region (OH, IL, IN, etc.). In case I miss a post for my gaurd troops region, everyone please send me a PM or e-mail if anything pops up.

I wish I was Closer to NJ.

Glenn

Yay me! hehe J/K!
biggrin.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Well it make sense doesn't it? NASC needs to be READY when the rescue calls go out.

I know there are far more knowlegeable folks here who know which states have sarracenia and perhaps a breakdown as to counties where they have been found? Then maybe we could match NASC members to a state or area who can be a "National Guard Rescue Team" member. hehe I like that.
biggrin.gif
We need more people than just Brooks, Jim, Jay and a few others who go out and dig when its a last-call for the plants.

I can draft a developer letter and then put it up for critique. I can create temporary letterhead (until logo is decided) so it looks professional.

I guess we could find out who to contact in any given area thru Chambers of Commerce?

C'mon you NASCers! We've got to get organized and ready to take care of business! Its too easy to find people to take plants. We need help in other areas too. Maybe some of the people who posted in the pinned topic could help?

Glenn...count yourself as the first National Guard Rescue Team member to stand up and be counted.
smile.gif

Hmmm...maybe some of those who have done these field collections before can post some tips or rules as to how to go about it for anyone called to duty who is inexperienced.

I think when someone is doing a sensitive field collection for propagation for the project some expert skills and knowledge are needed but perhaps for a last-ditch rescue effort, this can be open to just about any one who can give the time and effort.

BTW...this may be a stupid question, but do states keep records of the types of plants found in their state? Who might know that info? Botany department of a university?

Don't know if this will help, but this is a county by county map-type thingy about the plants found in florida. http://www.plantatlas.usf.edu/browse.asp I'd be glad to assist in the other areas if its anything I can do but I don't know what other type of things you are referring to.

That didn't even have sarracenia on the list at all.  
smile_h_32.gif

Buster1...I forget where you live.  If you live in a state where sarracenia grow, then we might need you to be volunteer for a rescue effort *IF* its ever needed.  That means going to an area which is being developed and digging plants to be sent into stewardship.  Like Brooks just did.
----------

Edit: OOOps! Yes they do! I found it...my eye skipped over it. That's awsome! Do they have one of those for every state?? I wonder what the abbreviations mean? See...if we had something like that, that would let us know which plants are in what counties in each state, then we would know what areas we need to keep an eye on for development and be ready with rescue teams if they are needed. In other words, no need to have teams ready in states like Kansas and Utah. But we might need a team for Brunswick NC. See?

Michigan keeps a list of plants by county. This is done by the DNR. I belive you can get this info from thier website. Also a cool site to check out is the national plant database from the USDA.

If you visit these and other sites you will see that some states are better than others when it comes to keeping track of flora and fauna!

Glenn

I live in the great state of Florida, unfortunately the home of the former Crestview site. I would be glad to assist in any plant rescue here, but if there is anything a little more mundane that an average person can do let me know.

Where will all the rescued Sarrs go?  If NASC rescuers begin finding themselves with carloads of plants and no one willing to take them anymore, we'll have a serious problem.  

Maybe relatively few plants should be collected for distribution from each location.  That'll lighten the load on rescuers and help maintain the excitement among the lucky recipients.  We can't save them all and, by flooding the membership with the first few rescue efforts, we could limit our ability to respond to future sites.

Just my $0.02.

First of all I want to say that PAK is taking the credit for my idea, If you look back through the NASC forum you'll see that I suggested that we get at least one person in each state to watch over the sites. You're going to have to pay for this one PAK. No grapes for you.

Anyway I am from Brunswick county and I know the area very well. I also know alot of the people there. I can tell you that the political system there is very corrupt. I can see what I can do. I still visit the area a couple times a year and I try to visit every site I know about everytime I'm there. I also know somebody that I think I should;d see if I can get to join the NASC. He will be an invaluable resource for us. I plan to move back there soon and I'm in the construction industry so I can get info from the inside. I had already planned on doing this when I get back anyway. Pak if you get something printed up mail it to me and I'll hand deliver it myself to the powers that be in Brunswick county.

Cool. I will work on those things. And I wasn't stealing your credit. I have a memory like a sieve and didn't remember that.
smile_n_32.gif
But hey...I don't care about credit. I'd just like to see it get done.
biggrin.gif
And you owe me so many grapes by now that one memory lapse doesn't erase the debt. HA!

I think it would be good if we could get more than one person per state if possible. That would make it a little easier to cover.

So...maybe an assignment should be given to some of those folks who said they were willing to offer assistance? A list of Sarracenia states and NASC members who live there?

I can work on some letters and the brochure which could accompany any letters so people know what the organization is about.

And if anyone thinks a "Permission to Collect" form would be good, I can do that too if I can get help on what would need to be included in it to cover all bases.

Good try but you can't get out of those grapes so easily, Ozzy!
laugh.gif

How about starting a list in the NASC section for people to list states/areas they can get to? Some people have posted in a few different places, including here, but it would be helpful to have one stop shopping.

Good idea Bruce.
smile.gif
I'll do that.

There is not much around me, but you can put me in for Nebraka and surrounding states.

Are there any in Nebraska, Copper? Just curious. I was suprised to learn we have 'dews in California.

Caps

Nebraska has 2 Utrics but thats it for carnivores.
I too am in for NE but ummm.............not a whole lot of Sarrs here.

Joe

Back