What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild alaskan sundews

IMG_0498.JPG

these are some sundew that i saw on my trip in Alaska. these are next to a trail in Cordova, Alaska. there are a couple medow/boggy areas that are just full of them. Cordova is a rainforest area that receives about 150 inches of percipation a year, most of it rain.

i just thought it was cool. since i didnt even realize cps could grow that far north.

its big and may take a while on dial up modems, but i think its worth the wait.

(i put this in the sundew forum before i realized this was the more approiate place to put it. opps)

Is it a rotundifolia?

No, JimScott, it is not "A" rotundifolia. It is MANY d. rotundifolia. LOL!!!!!!!!!

Wow, very nice, and ripe/ripening seed pods to boot!

Joe

True, bazillions of them. At least I didn't guess my standard spatulata. I think I've learned some things on these here forums!

Very nice! Did you get any seed?

let's hope he didn't!

Why not? D.rotundifolia is a very common species and taking a few seeds isn`t going to hurt anything. Unless it`s on a state park or something.

doesn't matter. i don't think theres every a reason to take anything unless it's to save the plant's life or if it's some weird undiscovered species(and in both cases you need permission, but honestly i would take the plants even if i didn't get permission if i knew they were going to be destroyed) and in this case, the rotundifolia weren't in danger and they definately aren't undiscovered.

they were in a state park. but even then i wouldnt of done it because i had no clue how to.

Actually, a sensitive initial collection of a few seed pods from an unendangered population is to everyones benefit, provided the valuable collection data is attached to the sample. Bringing variations into cultivation insures that repeated collections need not be made. I do not advocate field collection unless it is done by someone well aware of the population dynamics involved. For example, there are millions of D. rotundifolia in my local bog. I have collected both seed and plants and now maintain the plant in my collection via reproduction. I haven't had a need to collect a wild plant or seed in decades. D. intermedia on the other hand is a rare occurence there and I have not collected so much as a single seed. The real shame and crime is ripping out the plants and seed for resale (or trades) even if permissions are granted and it is perfectly legal. This should be discouraged, and those offering such material firmly boycotted.

I agree with Tamlin, And so does the ICPS. I don't think everybody should go out and collect seed because somebody said it's ok. Before you take anything from the wild you should ask is this to benefit the plants your yourself. If you have been growing these plants for a year or so I'd say please think twice before collect. There are plenty of people that will give plants away for free, so there's no need to wild collect just to expand your collection. One of my personal rules is to try and give back more than you took. If I take a seed pod, I'll reproduce the plant and return more seeds than I took. I think that rule should be added to the ICPS collection rules.

the trail through the medow/swamp was the 2x8 that you see in the picture. the ground was very wet and i doubt it would hold a person if someone decided to go off the boards for very long. The sundew are, i believe very safe there. Cordova is a small town of 3,000 people and there are no roads in or out of the town, either you fly in or you take the 5 hour ferry ride from Valdeze.

We were out there for a good 2 hours or so and only saw two people. the trail head isnt that obvious and its a couple miles before you even reach the swamp.
Cordova isn't a big tourist area either. as i said there aren't many ways in, and there isn't a lot for a tourist to do there either, it is a small fishing community where you either catch the fish or you put them in cans at the cannery. luckily my parents knew people from college that lived there and they took us on the hike where i took the picture.
i think those sundews are in a very protected area and they were thriving very well in there, i think they will survive for generations to come.

Back