What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icps alabamensis distribution

I am reporting in on the ICPS rubra alabamensis distribution plants. Mine flowered beautifully this sping and I sucessfully crossed them. Most of the pods have ripend and I am sending about 100 seeds to the seed bank this week. How did eveyone elses' do?

Yay!! Congrats on that! Nice to see they got in good hands and now more people will have the chance to grow them. I didn't get to receive any of these plants from the ICPS but Pingman did and he gave me a small devision of his. Which is growing pretty well for me but is very small still...
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Sep. 02 2004,1:21)]Yay!! Congrats on that! Nice to see they got in good hands and now more people will have the chance to grow them. I didn't get to receive any of these plants from the ICPS but Pingman did and he gave me a small devision of his. Which is growing pretty well for me but is very small still...
Andrew
Which one did he give you, Andrew?

oh, i'd love to get the chance to grow one of those!

Brooks- Do you have a picture of your plants when they were in flower? If you posted a pic already I'm sorry I missed it...
Bugweed- I am growing AL001
Andrew

My S. alabamensis are doing great but have not flowered for me. They have formed some huge clumps with 20 or more pitchers.

Did you cross plants with two location codes? If so you should probably add that info to the seeds you distribute.

Congratulations, keep up the good work, spread the joy.

Glenn

I do not have a photo of mine in bloom but they were 002 and 003. I have put that info on the seed packets.

Well, mine were doing GREAT! until the squirrel(s)
mad.gif
decided to decimate the pots.  Got one back in the pot before it dried and died; but didn't find anything of the other one; not even 1 lonely pitcher.  It was the plant that was growing the best.  The rescued pot put up more pitchers this year, but did not flower.  Hopefully in 2005!!!  
blues.gif

Now the plants from Crestview Rescue look like they will recover just fine.  All the plants are in a squirrel proof cage right now.  
smile.gif

My 003 is doing great and I'm surprised how quickly it's grown. It started a flower stalk but I cut it off so the plant could spend its energy on growing.

My 001, unfortunately, died this spring. It had been the larger (and more highly colored) of the two and seemed to come out of dormancy like all my other Sarrs. But it suddenly wilted during the spring and lost all its pitchers. I let it sit for a month or more before removing it from the sphagnum it shared with the 003. It had a great root system and no sign of insect damage, but the rhizome was a brown lump.

Hopefully we can do some pollen trading in the spring.

i haven't had this yet but i sent a seed order form in today for S. oreo, S. Flava, and i said alabamensis if there were any available. so hopefully in 2005

I have Al 001, Al 002,And Al 003. The lone Al 001 is quite small, and about 9 months. The Al 002's are numerous. Maybe 10. The Al 003 is one large mature plant, very robust, or maybe just plain fat from gorging on flies and wasps, and the seedling pot has maybe 10 or 15 babies. These were a gift from Barry Rice. My other Alabamensis is non ICPS coded, and came from Chilton County, near Thorsby, Alabama. Very aerolated hood, and nicely colored up. I am up to my eyeballs in Alabams!!!! Can't think of a better way to live!

Bugweed,

Me either, as I watch my collection grow! It is wonderful affliction to those of us that enjoy life!

Rick

That's right, Rick. Wotta way to live!!!!!

My 02 and 03 are both doing great but no flowers this year. Thinking next year or two for 03 but several years off on flowers for the 02 as it is still a bit small.

Brian

I thought that the ones that received plants were supposed to allow the plants to seed and send it in to the seed bank so others may get seeds. Why did anyone cut off a seed stalk?

My AL002 is doing great!Thanks to BobZ.

Jerry

I cut off first year flower stalks to let plants spend their energy on growth. That way, a plant will be larger next year and will produce much more seed. And, as you said, all the seed goes to the ICPS.

how come the seed bank doesn't show any alabamensis? just wandering, i put a second alternative in my order

I sent 20 seed packs last week to the ICSP seed bank. Look for them soon

Back