What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When all else fails...

Are there any groups whose goal is to rescue CPs from the wild when their habitat is about to be destroyed, some sort of organisation of last resort, when petitions, legal challenges, etc have failed?

What I'm talking about is a group that developers will trust, to remove the plants quickly, and not get in their way.  They won't attempt to challenge their right to moonscape the habitat, won't lecture them, they'll just simply rescue the plants and leave.  A group of this nature would have to develop relationships with developers, so that trust is built up that the developers will give this group a chance to rescue the plants, and that this group will not engage in any diversionary tactics to hamper the development.

Did you come to the right place? lol
If you go though some of the things I have written, you'll see that I have been talking about doing this for a while. I am a construction worker and I plan to start doing this when I move back to NC. Since I am a construction worker I am going to use that to get inside the companies to gain their trust and get permission to remove plants when all else has failed. I hope to start this within a year.
To answer your question, though I don't know of any group that is doing this right now.
You perfectly

Many States have native plant rescue groups that do just that. I think they mainly work with residential developers at least here in Michigan. Many of my native woodland plants have come from these groups. Some are regional and some are state wide, all are reputable and conservation minded, so far.

Glenn

Sorry for the double post but I left out my main piont. We being the CP community will have to network withese groups. They already have connections, they just don't share our madness (The love of plants the eat higher life forms
smile_m_32.gif
)

It has been discussed as one of the NASC venues before. In fact, I think it was Ozzy that brought it up. Plus, we did do the Crestview Radio Tower rescue, with the blessing of the developer too. So the NASC has already done that. The idea of linking up with all interested groups in plant conservation is an excellent idea in itself. Gotta tell Copper!

When all else fails ask the manager of the site. They are usually understanding. Just do no get in the way of the bulldozers, workers, and do not yell at anyone.

Back