What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to tell field-collected cps

I've heard that there is a problem, in areas to which CPs are native, with unscrupulous individuals field-collecting plants in mass, and selling them.

What are the telltale signs that a plant has been field-collected?

Some that I can think of include:

* grasses or other plants that share the same enviroment in the pot, as well

* soil that seems too natural, rather than a mix of peat and sand and perlite

* greenhouse-grown plants have less insect damage and softer tissue; therefore, excess pest damage and weather-hardened plants should be a tip-off.

I don't think these are always good indicators but it should cause concern. People out to make a quick buck (dig & sell) would definately show these signs.

Keep in mind you can repot plants. Plants grown out doors like mine get grasses, etc. growing in them over time. It is best to trade rather than buy from people you know or who other people can vouch (sp?) for or support the established nursuries.

Seedlings are your best bet since quick buck types would rather sell full grown plants and won't spend the time to stratify and start seedlings.

Just a few ramblings.

This issue was discussed in this thread. Stolen VFT's

I have an update on the case that I'll post pretty soon.

I just got some vfts, p. caerulea, and P. lutea. It came with TONS of live sphagnum, pine needles, leaves, bugs, twigs, ect. He emailed me after he shipped the plants and said. "Oh yeah, they are from Hampstead, NC"
confused.gif

Is this a good indicator of field collected plants

I THINK SO!!!!!

Was it from a guy named Leon, The nick he uses is Hampsteadtrader? Is he also a gun dealer?

No, it was from a different guy
JonJacobJingleheimer Smith.

A mod can edit the name out if that is inappropriate
The person who offered them on cptradingpost.com
along with S. rubra and others from the area

Pm me the town you sent your half of the trade to.

Is there a list available of people (real names, addresses, phone numbers, screen names) who are known to field collect, so we can avoid trading with them?

Or would such a list be likely to run afoul of libel laws?

Unless the person has been found guilty of poaching, whoever post the names and PFT could be sued for lible. While I would love to be able to do that, I don't think it wouls be a good idea.
You can talk to many members here including myself and they will tell you who they think wild collects.

That Guy? I meant to ask someone about him. He emailed me with plants to sell/trade that had rediculously low prices and way to many plants for just having "extras".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 02 2005,10:11)]Unless the person has been found guilty of poaching, whoever post the names and PFT could be sued for lible. While I would love to be able to do that, I don't think it wouls be a good idea.
You can talk to many members here including myself and they will tell you who they think wild collects.
American libel laws are laxer than those in the UK; if I'm not mistaken, in America, a plaintiff needs to prove that the defendant (a) knowingly and willfully lied, and wasn't merely mistaken/misinformed, and (b) the plaintiff suffered financial damage as a result.

I would suspect that, at least, listing the evidence that led one to believe an individual is a poacher, without stating that the individual in question is/may be a poacher (and just letting the reader draw conclusions) should be safe, provided the evidence you list is all factually accurate.

Well I do have to agree with who ever that was that said they grow most their plants outside. Mine have weeds spring up, native Drosera springing up, and live sphagnum. Not a whole bunch of sphagnum but it blankets the bogs. If you mix pine straw (like I might) wiht your cp mix it gets all tangled up so any time you dig up a plant and do not wash all the mix off its roots you will have a clump of mix. I usually bare root my stuff though (It saves in shipping and cp mix).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]in America, a plaintiff needs to prove that the defendant (a) knowingly and willfully lied, and wasn't merely mistaken/misinformed, and (b) the plaintiff suffered financial damage as a result.
While you are correct, I never said that if we make a list of poachers that they would have a slam dunk case against us. I merely said we can be sued. When I say "we" I mean who ever posts on the list and Petflytrap. Phil runs a business and if he's sued, it could cost him quite a bit to defend himself and our right to free speech on his forums. In the end, it would not only endanger petflytrap, but also could cost us these forums.
While I would love to post some names that I suspect, I feel that we could do more good by preserving the forums and educating people.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 08 2005,7:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]in America, a plaintiff needs to prove that the defendant (a) knowingly and willfully lied, and wasn't merely mistaken/misinformed, and (b) the plaintiff suffered financial damage as a result.
While you are correct, I never said that if we make a list of poachers that they would have a slam dunk case against us. I merely said we can be sued. When I say "we" I mean who ever posts on the list and Petflytrap. Phil runs a business and if he's sued, it could cost him quite a bit to defend himself and our right to free speech on his forums. In the end, it would not only endanger petflytrap, but also could cost us these forums.
While I would love to post some names that I suspect, I feel that we could do more good by preserving the forums and educating people.
Oh, I'm not longer suggesting anybody do this on THIS site...

If I were so inclined, I'd use my own blog.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Mar. 02 2005,6:04)]It came with TONS of live sphagnum, pine needles, leaves, bugs, twigs, ect. Is this a good indicator of field collected plants

I THINK SO!!!!!
this depends, normally yes but there are probably a number of ppl who have bogs they built in their yards that are several years or more old where you could quite easily recieve plants with "extras" like this. i know if i lived down south i would do an natural bog setup. this is where knowing the person comes in real handy. i have a few pots with reeds and ferns and other "weeds" growing mostly in pots i dont care about and dont mind the look of the additional plants. if you ever recieve U. sandersonii from me(yah i know poor example for a field collected species), depending on which pot i take it from there is a good chance of small fern plantlets being mixed in. my D. filliformis and rotundifolia pots are full of ferns too if i dont trim them back on a regular basis.

if something looks fishy its best to ask a forum mod or other person who will probably know the chances of the plants being field collected

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Mar. 03 2005,4:52)]That Guy?  I meant to ask someone about him.  He emailed me with plants to sell/trade that had rediculously low prices and way to many plants for just having "extras".
How cheap are we talking?
I was thinking S. rubra, in Nature, did not grow in sphagnum or around it.
I am inclined to agree with Rattler that it could be a bog garden or they could be on his own property..

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 09 2005,3:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Mar. 02 2005,6:04)]It came with TONS of live sphagnum, pine needles, leaves, bugs, twigs, ect. Is this a good indicator of field collected plants

I THINK SO!!!!!
this depends, normally yes but there are probably a number of ppl who have bogs they built in their yards that are several years or more old where you could quite easily recieve plants with "extras" like this.
And if that's the case, they can probably explain it thus. I imagine most poachers wouldn't think to explain it that way.

The guy was saying something like $3 for mature plants. He said he had about 1000 (of a bunch of different species). I think it was about 300 plants a species though. I have seen rubra gulfensis in the wild w/sphagnum growing around it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I was thinking S. rubra, in Nature, did not grow in sphagnum or around it.

I've seen Ruba growing near sphagnum moss.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if something looks fishy its best to ask a forum mod or other person who will probably know the chances of the plants being field collected

Very good idea, I will be happy to answer any questions (off the forums) about people that I know or suspect to be poachers. I can also ask the other mods about the person in question.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh, I'm not longer suggesting anybody do this on THIS site...

If I were so inclined, I'd use my own blog.

PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Back