What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fire in green swamp

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
RALEIGH, N.C. -- State forestry crews are fighting a fire deep in the Green Swamp in southeastern North Carolina and officials said Monday that conditions for fires could worsen later this week.

More Details

The fire started Saturday and has grown to 350 acres. It is located in a remote area of the swamp off N.C. Highway 211 near the Bear Pen air strip.

So far, the cause of the fire hasn't been determined. The swamp is located in Columbus and Brunswick counties.

Forecasters at the National Weather Service office in Wilmington placed southeastern North Carolina under a fire weather advisory last week, meaning high winds and low relative humidities made conditions ripe for wildfire.

noooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Its a bad thing right?

No its a good thing! Burn baby burn!
smile.gif

Actually it could be a good thing for CP's. The fire will burn off the overgrown weeds, etc. allowing the CP's to come back.

Most of the Green Swamp is drained and converted to tree plantations.

That'll be a beautiful place to visit later in the season. Do you know anything about the habitat there?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you know anything about the habitat there?
Yeah, I know a little.
smile.gif

Well just think, OZ! You will be able to see it like you never have seen it before. Plants should be much more obvious! Take pics!!!

I remember a fire burning a nearby area of pine when I was maybe 15 in Mississippi .  Not knowing anything about fire ecology, I thought the acre or two was dead.  But after a few rains all kinds of plants grew out of nowhere.  There weren't any pitchers, because it was an upland area, but it was amazing.  Some of the burned pines died and all lost a lot of needles, but most survived.  The burned area didn't look that different from the surroundings after a year or two.

So uhh who do we know that lives near there? I think they should be congradulated

FIRE FIRE FIRE (Beavis voice, of cource)!
cool.gif

Very cool indeed. Oz, if you do go there, you better snap lots of picks. I've never seen a sar bog recovering from a burn.

Will do, Will do.

I have. It takes a year (next growing season) for them to come up again when it is burned so late (like this).

Back