Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oh, man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMPEACH! IMPEACH!

I say we leave the oil be and start looking for alternative fuel. Electricity is way better. There are enough greenhouse gas, we dont need 16 billion barrels more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]The government does not want to stop getting oil. They are not interested in developing hybrid vehicles or anything that will cause consumers to stop buying gasoline.
    The government has no business screwing around developing fuel efficent cars. That is up to private industry.

Quote[/b] ]For every gallon of gas you pump into your car, the government gets tax money, they get sales taxes, they get income taxes from the oil companies making profits, they get kickbacks from the oil companies for limiting production of anything that might pull away from people buying gas.
    Who do you think builds all of those nice highways that you drive on? Where do you think that money comes from?

ANWAR is 19,000,000 acres. The TOTAL footprint of the oil drilling sites will be approximately 2,000 acres. My calculator doesn't go that high but maybe some of you can figure out the percentage.

Just remember that the computer you are using is powered by 'letricity, which is primarily produced by oil, the production of which is currently dominated by the Arab States, who I understand, don't like us very much.

I'm sure you will be happy to give up your car and walk to work, if you still have a job to go to, just to possibly save the life of some caribou that lives in a place neither you nor any other person you know will ever see.
    Get real people. This is not a dream world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its about 2 percent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the federal budget is in trouble. If the House and Senate can not reconcile thier versions it won't get passed. The ANWAR drilling is contained in the budget bill so that the Democrats can't filibuster to block passage but if the budget fails so does the approval to drill. If the Republicans try and pass the drilling sperately it will not pass.

Lauderdale,

I believe most "lectricity" comes form natural gas, coal and nuclear, not oil. Also I may never see the artic wildlife refuge or a caribou but that doesn't reduce thier value, if that were the case, I wouldn't care about you, but I do. What we desire may not always be what is best for us, others or the world. Do we lift all restrictions and go out in a blaze of fun & excess or do we look several generations ahead and think about what our actions today will do to future generations? It is hard to live life that way, I own a SUV which I probably don't need but I try and conserve in other areas. It is tough to be a good steward of the Planet. Hard choices are hard to make and hard to live with.

Everyone has the right to determine thier own personal destiny without regard for anyone else, its the American way (individual rights) provided you don't violate the others individual rights. It is hard to make choices that are for the collective good when we live in a society based on the individual.

The fact that we are debating this is a step in the right direction.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The HOUSE has pesse3d several artic drilling aprovals, that were rejected by the senate. I am really worried over the rarebird species that nest exlusivly near the coast, and ones that arnt found anywhere else. Spectecled eider and steller's eider, Bluethroat...

http://alaska.fws.gov/media/SpecEider_FactSheet.htm

http://alaska.fws.gov/media/StellEider_FactSheet.htm
    that makes no logic

Quote[/b] (Glenn @ Mar. 18 2005,9:01)]Looks like the federal budget is in trouble. If the House and Senate can not reconcile thier versions it won't get passed. The ANWAR drilling is contained in the budget bill so that the Democrats can't filibuster to block passage but if the budget fails so does the approval to drill. If the Republicans try and pass the drilling sperately it will not pass.

Lauderdale,

I believe most "lectricity" comes form natural gas, coal and nuclear, not oil. Also I may never see the artic wildlife refuge or a caribou but that doesn't reduce thier value, if that were the case, I wouldn't care about you, but I do. What we desire may not always be what is best for us, others or the world. Do we lift all restrictions and go out in a blaze of fun & excess or do we look several generations ahead and think about what our actions today will do to future generations? It is hard to live life that way, I own a SUV which I probably don't need but I try and conserve in other areas. It is tough to be a good steward of the Planet. Hard choices are hard to make and hard to live with.

Everyone has the right to determine thier own personal destiny without regard for anyone else, its the American way (individual rights) provided you don't violate the others individual rights. It is hard to make choices that are for the collective good when we live in a society based on the individual.

The fact that we are debating this is a step in the right direction.

Glenn
    Did you know that the oil wells have TONS of natural gas as well? And the only existing oil well things have to spend MILLIONS of dollars pumping the natural gas BACK IN THE GROUND? This is just a waste, and pressure builds up and shortens the life of the well. All because some animal rights activists don't want any natural gas getting into the atmosphere. A SERIOUS misallocation of valuable resources if you ask me.

They are thinking of making the oil drilling land available to the public (as opposed to government operated). You know what will happen then? The Arabs will pack up and move over here, bringing all thier trouble with them!

However, it is hard to tell if the drilling would lower the prices. Just recently several acres of fort ord were flattened to create "Affordable housing". They built mansions starting at $400,000. All the landowners bought them up and are now renting them for $3,000 a month. The rest that were bought are now being sold for $900,000.

Now, if the government plans it out right, it could greatly help. If they do another of their bushwhacker deals.. Well, it'l only make matters worse [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]They built mansions starting at $400,000
    Bad point about being near NYC: That would be afforable housing around here! A decent Condo can cost that much here.

Mansions? Well, technically, I beleive "mansions" start at 10,000 sqft, and go for MILLIONS. Simply large houses (around 3.5 to 4K sqft) go between 800k and 1.2 Mil.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Mar. 18 2005,1:34)]
    Quote[/b] ]They built mansions starting at $400,000
    Bad point about being near NYC: That would be afforable housing around here! A decent Condo can cost that much here.

Mansions? Well, technically, I beleive "mansions" start at 10,000 sqft, and go for MILLIONS. Simply large houses (around 3.5 to 4K sqft) go between 800k and 1.2 Mil.
    It's the same here. 400,000 really isn't that bad compared to other houses of the same size.. but you get my point

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast