What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh, man

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date
Viva La Resistance!!!!!

Capslock

Oh come on guys, what’s wrong with you.  According to some of the proponents, these animals are hardy and won't mind the very neat and tidy drilling equipment at all.  It makes for a nice back drop.  That oil is desperately needed to make a miniscule dent in our oil need, well worth the risk.  Why would we want to waste time in thought?  The oil is here, let's get it. **** the wildlife, full steam ahead...I mean oil.

What about sun, wind, water and other clean resources.  That's where the research money should be going.

**** the lobbyist, a clean environment ahead.

Oh, and I love how proponents conveniently ignore the fact that drilling would take years to even begin to have an effect on anything.
Dumb Dumb Dumb
Can anyone say blinders?

Why the hell do we need to drill for oil in Alaska, didn't we just conquer Iraq?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Mar. 16 2005,7:18)]Why the hell do we need to drill for oil in Alaska, didn't we just conquer Iraq?
Simple. Bush is a wimp.

There is more oil on the Alaskan north slope than in the entire Middle East. The drilling won't kill off everything. They get BIG bonuses if they keep it clean, and believe me they will.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Mar. 16 2005,7:10)]Oh, and I love how proponents conveniently ignore the fact that drilling would take years to even begin to have an effect on anything.  
Dumb Dumb Dumb
Can anyone say blinders?
You have to start somewhere. That's simply procrastinating. If everyone had an attitude like that, we'd be nowhere!
smile_m_32.gif

Wow...the drilling won't kill "everything." How nice....! I guess I should be real grateful that the drilling won't kill "everything", just most things. There is not enough oil in ANWR to do squat, per US Geological Survey. Best case scenario..16 Billion barrels.

These companies are NOT clean, there are oil spills in Alaska all the time, you just don't hear about it. April

Well it all comes down to the same basic thing. Money. The government does not want to stop getting oil. They are not interested in developing hybrid vehicles or anything that will cause consumers to stop buying gasoline. For every gallon of gas you pump into your car, the government gets tax money, they get sales taxes, they get income taxes from the oil companies making profits, they get kickbacks from the oil companies for limiting production of anything that might pull away from people buying gas.

To put some numbers to this, lets look at it like this. Lets say 100 million vehicles in the United States (to make the math easy). Every vehicle gets 5 less gallons of gas per week. 5*100,000,000=500,000,000 gallons of gas @$2.25 per gallon (current price here in California)=$1,125,000,000 per week that the gas/oil companies dont make.

So, who cares about a few dead animals and plants? Who cares about a measley few hundred million dollars spent to build and maintain the drilling system? They have to keep that gasoline flowing, thats just too good of a source of income to allow to slip away.

Steve

I'm angry at my (Hawaii's) Senators.  Neither of them voted to remove the Alaska drilling provision from the budget bill.  They are both Democrats, after all.  If they had both voted the other way, it would have changed the outcome.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is more oil on the Alaskan north slope than in the entire Middle East.

I'd be hard-pressed to believe this one.  The fact of the matter is that this area was designated as a refuge for wildlife and should remain undisturbed.  Is nothing sacred?

Land oil spills are so much worse then ocean. I mean they are not nearly as easy (ha ha not kiding here) to clean up. And true we could have regulations but the republican's control all three houses and shortly the courts. Okay lets see approximatly this will up our oil prduction for ourselves from 32% tp 35%. Since OPEC controls much of the oil around the world (excluding Russia and a few others are not OPEC). OPEC could just produce less oil which keeps the price the same. I mean thats what I would do instead of losing money I would produce less to keep demand the same. Also this is not just about that refuge. IT's about all the refuges. Now the people with money know they can do anything with our parks if they can get people like themselfs in office.

I say pave everything, who planted all these darn trees anyhow?! The only good caribou is medium rare on a bed of lettuce. I need the oil to drive my Hummer around the city. Congrass just has my, I mean, our best interest in mind.

>;-D

I'm kidding of course. Money rules the world and our government. Humans are so self centered. Just because we can use our brains to create things to hasten the destruction of our species, we think we are the superior life form. I'm afraid the cockroaches may have the last laugh.

Glenn

The House still has to pass it though (right?). I mean they did not pass it yet. So write your congresspeople (I already have written half of congress). And If they have I am sure that they did not pass the exact same thing yet and so will have to debate it a bit longer. And if both did, well the refuge is screwed

Suure april..

Great, another person to follow me everywhere and create conflict
confused.gif

Anyways, if anything, the government won't drill. They'll wait until the rest of the world dries up, and then open up shop. Common sence
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Mar. 17 2005,10:31)]Wow...the drilling won't kill "everything."  How nice....!  I guess I should be real grateful that the drilling won't kill "everything", just most things. There is not enough oil in ANWR to do squat, per US Geological Survey.  Best case scenario..16 Billion barrels.  

These companies are NOT clean, there are oil spills in Alaska all the time, you just don't hear about it.  April
All the time? I highly doubt it. As I said, they get big bonuses for no spills. 16 billion barrels sounds like a lot but it isnt. There's more than that up there.

IMPEACH! IMPEACH!

I say we leave the oil be and start looking for alternative fuel. Electricity is way better. There are enough greenhouse gas, we dont need 16 billion barrels more!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The government does not want to stop getting oil. They are not interested in developing hybrid vehicles or anything that will cause consumers to stop buying gasoline.
The government has no business screwing around developing fuel efficent cars.   That is up to private industry.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For every gallon of gas you pump into your car, the government gets tax money, they get sales taxes, they get income taxes from the oil companies making profits, they get kickbacks from the oil companies for limiting production of anything that might pull away from people buying gas.
Who do you think builds all of those nice highways that you drive on?  Where do you think that money comes from?

ANWAR is 19,000,000 acres.  The TOTAL footprint of the oil drilling sites will be approximately 2,000 acres.  My calculator doesn't go that high but maybe some of you can figure out the percentage.

Just remember that the computer you are using is powered by 'letricity, which is primarily produced by oil, the production of which is currently dominated by the Arab States, who I understand, don't like us very much.

I'm sure you will be happy to give up your car and walk to work, if you still have a job to go to, just to possibly save the life of some caribou that lives in a place neither you nor any other person you know will ever see.
Get real people.  This is not a dream world.

Looks like the federal budget is in trouble. If the House and Senate can not reconcile thier versions it won't get passed. The ANWAR drilling is contained in the budget bill so that the Democrats can't filibuster to block passage but if the budget fails so does the approval to drill. If the Republicans try and pass the drilling sperately it will not pass.

Lauderdale,

I believe most "lectricity" comes form natural gas, coal and nuclear, not oil. Also I may never see the artic wildlife refuge or a caribou but that doesn't reduce thier value, if that were the case, I wouldn't care about you, but I do. What we desire may not always be what is best for us, others or the world. Do we lift all restrictions and go out in a blaze of fun & excess or do we look several generations ahead and think about what our actions today will do to future generations? It is hard to live life that way, I own a SUV which I probably don't need but I try and conserve in other areas. It is tough to be a good steward of the Planet. Hard choices are hard to make and hard to live with.

Everyone has the right to determine thier own personal destiny without regard for anyone else, its the American way (individual rights) provided you don't violate the others individual rights. It is hard to make choices that are for the collective good when we live in a society based on the individual.

The fact that we are debating this is a step in the right direction.

Glenn

Back