What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little suspicious?

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I was browsing Ebay, and ran accross this auction.

Odd.

That is very weird. I don't think he'll get his $5000 for them though.

At least no one is placing any bids! At least they better not!! I wonder what will happen to the plants anyhow, whether he gets money or not?

The photo clearly shows a plant in the wild.

Most likely, the plants are wild harvested.

The question is, whether he is poaching, harvesting from private land where he is either the owner, or has permission, or are being rescued from a construction site.

I've emailed ebay. They generally take off such items to avoid recriminations involving themselves.

The lack of any real information where such a large number of plants came from is suspicious. A legitimate seller would make the source clear.
If it is legal then it's the seller's own fault for not making it obvious they aren't poached.

That is suspicious.....Hmm.....maybe....I.....Should.....sel...thousands....of....D.....spatulata? I mean grow them to 1in. diameter and try sellin` them for 20 cents each in groups of 50? Lol. the way spatulata grows thata` be a real good way to get the money to buy a Nintendo DS if somebody wanted to buy weeds. Lol.

He might be someone who bought seeds in another eBay auction thinking he found a way to make easy money.

$5,000.00??????????? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (stop, breathe in)Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Oh! Thats rich! 5 grand for sundews! Uh-oh, here it goes! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha-----oh man- hahahhahaha!!! i better go, i can't take it!

Now wait BW, what about those one trillion capensis seed you're selling me for 10 cents each?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JBL @ April 02 2005,12:01)]Now wait BW, what about those one trillion capensis seed you're selling me for 10 cents each?
Capensis sends for 10 cent?? Where's the line for that? I have to get some, that is such a deal.

Hey Ozzy, the line starts in 2006 just 2 weeks before April 1.  I'll save your place  
smile_m_32.gif

That wouldn't be such a bad idea on ebay though! 10cents is a bargain to anyone!

Poor BW, is everyone picking on you?

I contacted her, and she said that she does not propagate them(of course) and that they grow wildly on her property. I replied advising her to harvest in smaller numbers so that she could continue to harvest them for resale in the future. Well, I had to make it sound like I wasn't COMPLETELY crazy.
confused.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Yes, they are picking on me. I LOVE IT!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ April 01 2005,10:50)]Yes, they are picking on me. I LOVE IT!!!!!
That's how I feel! AHHH the attention!

She has already sold ten of the plants.

EBAY

Now look at her feedback page.

feedback

LOL

I'm going to send her a little message.

Here's my email to her.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hello, I have a few comments about your Drosera intermedia (Sundew) auctions. These plants are getting more and more rare in the wild, and it's clear that you're selling wild collected plants. While they may be few left in the wild, they grow like weeds in cultivation. I highly doubt that you'll get anybody to that'll pay that high a price and agree to drive to where you are to pick them up. With the price of proper packaging and shipping, not to mention the high fines and possible jail time that you can get for poaching them, you'll never make a decent profit on these plants. Why don't you leave them where they are so others can also enjoy them. Besides it's against ebay's rules to sell illegally wild collected plants.
I don't know what Fla. laws are regarding poaching, but in NC you'd receive a fine for $2000 and six months in jail for poaching a Drosera intermedia. It's really something to think about. If you need any help or if you have any questions please email me.
Thanks
Mark

I don't believe it is illegal to remove the plants if they are on your private property.

Its not. She owns everything on that property to do with as she pleases. It sucks, but its true.

Back