What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh Bugweed I think you got a different message. Here's the permit application for harvesting plants in Fl out of the wild to be used for rescues.
Request for permit to harvest can be found at the following address:

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/forms/08051.pdf

Sorry for intruding on your thread Brooks.

I don't know the laws or rules regarding rescuing plants in Fl. I'm speaking from total ignorance. But from reading that request here are my thoughts.

I would think that having to apply for a request, and wait for it to be granted would stand in the way of saving a lot of plants. When we are faced with a situation like that, we normally have a very limited time to act. Sometimes we don't have time to wait for a request to be granted.
I also don't know how long it takes to get the request granted.

Just my thoughts.

Oz and Tre. Don't worry about that. I have folks on that right now, and they are already doing the legwork. We know of many highways to be sites that are going under, and want to rescue them legally with the States blessing. I am definitely on this one. Have been for a while. KEEP IT LEGAL!!!

I agree Bug, we need to keep everything legal. I'm just worried that having to wait for the state to give us an ok will cost us many sites. I just wanted to bring a potential problem to everybodies attention.

Yes legal is good. FYI If you need the agr. dep. email. I have it for the person. Glad to here people are doing something. Keep up the good work Bugweed and everyone else

Unfortunatly I think I know where they got they're idea: Gardening with Carnivores by Nick Romanowski. I saw it on Amazon and got my copy today. A few mislabeled pictures and way too mcuh of the book dedicated to Sarraicenia cut pitcher and flower profits. Expected gains in profits and so on for various countries. He did say several times not to do it in the wild but there are all sorts of location clues, idenification and what species not to cut. His stimate for prfit in the US was $1 a pitcher/flower.
Some people are greedy.

I am all for putting a bounty on the scalps of poachers.

Heads on pikes, and the like.

Back