What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have just returned from a three day bogging trip with Jim Miller and Stewart McPhearson. As you will remember, Jim is producing the CPs of the Southeast DVD series. This installation will include some stunning shots of native stands of Sarracenia in flower. The alata stands in MS shot at dawn are absolutly breath taking, huge sweeps of pale creamy yellow flowers streaching out for acres. Ditch banks cover in ping. lutea in flower and Drosera brevifolia budded and in bloom.

The savanna at Bob Hanranhan's property was not to be belived. Everything you would ever want to see and more. BUT, I digress.

The reson for this posting is to report the extreme disappointment, bewilderment and dismay at what we found at the Citronelle site and at a site just up the road near Chatom. Upon getting out at Citronelle we found that a huge piece of equipment had been driven through the ditch creating huge ruts in the soft mud and crushing some of the most spectacular psittacenias I have ever seen anywhere. The pitchers are so large on these clones, we call them psittacenia golfballensis. None were to be found. When we got into the bog proper, we found there were no flowers or pitchers showing. We found that very odd having just come from the staggerly beautiful alata sites North of here. When I looked closer I found stubs where flowers and pitchers had been. Every single pitcher and flower off of EVERY plant was gone. It looked like sping had not even come yet. There were a hand full of flowers that were just opening that missed the shears. This is no small feat considering there must be 5000 to 8000 plants on this one site. We left crushed and disheartened.

We ventured up the road to two more sites. We were encouraged when we got to the first site and there were flowers and pitchers but when we got to the second site our hearts sank again. Again, the same scenario, just about every single pitcher and flower were gone. This was staggering due to the fact that this was a 30 ac site! I cannot begin to imagine how long or how many people it would take to stip a 30 ac site of almost every flower and pitcher. We all were heartsick. Now, talk about disrupting the natural cycle of seed production  and gene dispersal. I can think of nothing worse short of total destruction. I know that the collection of pitchers and flowers is a cottage industry and that it is legal with the land owners permission but we were certain that no permission had been granted on these sites to collect. There was no one to stop these people. It was infurating and sickening all at the same time. We felt helpless.

Dude that sucks!!! I know the site local (I think) but have not yet visited due to the bloody hail, lighning and rain. Jeez I would have really liked to see them.
I think that is a problem everywhere though. I hear in Okee just off the road people go and cut S. minor flowers (b/c they are so pretty). It's rdiculous

And there was a debate here a few months back that, poaching is no longer a problem. I guess this puts an end to that argument.

Oh, there were signs of poaching at several sites but I hardly think the number of plants removed from those sites could ever equal the damage done to a site if the flowers are cut ever year or the weakening of the plants from having there food source removed. That would be a slow death for sure.

Very disturbing that our only legacy of places like this will be Jim Miller's DVDs--if he can get there to capture them in time. I use the first one in the series to educate kids in schools quite often. Perhaps another in the series should show more destruction, bulldozers etc. to raise awareness.

The point wasn't that poaching is no longer a problem. It was that habitat loss is a greater threat, except in places with protected or plentiful habitat.

Miramar Beach and Freeport, Florida are in that fix right now. Their bog sites went up for sale. I smell a rescue maybe.

Brooks, I hope Jim got this destruction on his video. People need to see it, and so do those supposedly in charge of the plants in the field. All you have to do is see it once, and that would be incentive enough to take action.

That's terrible
smile_h_32.gif
Every week we seem to hear about a destruction of sorts. Isn't the total sarracenia population down to 3% nowadays?

However, S. alata can survive a few strippings can't they? As long as it's not done two or three times a year, shouldn't they survive?

Darn, I keep forgetting who is who. Well obviously that would be the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ April 11 2005,10:42)]Miramar Beach and Freeport, Florida are in that fix right now. Their bog sites went up for sale. I smell a rescue maybe.
Wow thats terrible! So after so much consevation efforts the bogs go up for sale, and bam mini malls and Mk donalds. Sad!

What goes on in these rescues and in what manner?

-Jc

Owners of said land are contacted, told of our objectives, asked to sign a permission slip, and we collect plants, and send them to NASC members and growers. The bogs, if extirpated, are still with
us through the genetics in these plants. We are preserving their genomes through stewardship, and the plants seeds, and seedlings are given away for the price of the freight to get them to you. They are only pollinated with the plants from that particular bog, and kept separate from all other bogs saved. Those genes will stay intact. Even if their home goes extinct.

Sounds good bugweed, Sad to hear of bogs getting paved over... heart breaking! If this goes down and the bogs are indeed route out to demolishment. Let me know, if time permits I can head over to the sites and help with the rescue. And theres always space in my sunny Miami Flroida yard for plants so keep that in mind.

Another question, are the plants ever moved to a compleatly diffrent Cp'less bog in the relative area and given a fresh start to keep the genetics naturally occuring in the wild?

Thanks for the info,

-Jc

Here is a bit more information since this threat seems to be drawing a lot of attention. All the flowers and leuco, leuco x alata pitchers were taken at the Citronelle site but not the alata pitchers. It seems they are not firm enough to be used as a cut flower product. We saw this again at the other site too.

Jim's next DVD will show various CP habitas across the Gulf Coast as well as burned sites (i.e. managed sites) and sites actually in the process of being burned. He got some really spectacural shots of the Apalachicola National Forest being burned last year. i think the VFT at Hosford are on there as well.

There maybe more information forthcoming but when we were at Bob hanranhan's place Bob mentioned that there was a 220 ac site up for sale. I do not remember where it was but he said it was a good bog and it desreved looking into. he said they were asking to much for the land but if 100 folks chipped in $6000 each, it could be bought.

Some of you may know that 20 years ago Bob H. bought 40 acs in Baldwin Co, FL to save it and start a pitcher plant plantation. He has moved many rescued plants on to the site. This isn't the conservationists purest way of doing it but it was an effort. Bob is looking at it from a business stand point. BTW, Bob managed to get to the Crestview site after reading about the rescue and he got even more plants from there. I saw them and they were doing quite well.

Here is that stunning scene at dawn in the Desoto National Forest... Sarracenia Heaven...enjoy!

DFNAlataRez.jpg
DNFAlataRez.jpg

WOW! stunning picture Brooks, Sad to hear of mass collections like these.

Sorry to hear about it Brooks.It's a shame these plants are poached/cut up/destroyed and the like.
mad.gif

Jerry

If the site is deamed significant maybe the nature conservancy may help. If not maybe we could start our own fund raiser if the land is truely available.

Glenn

Great job again Brooks.

"...100 folks chipped in $6,000 each...."

Or 1,000 folks chipped in $600 each....

Even 10,000 folks chipped in $60 each.

Maybe 100,000 folks chip in $6 each.

This is the challenge of conservation. We are losing so many sites - where does one start?

We can not save them all.

$600,000 to save just one bog and irreplaceable Sarracenia and other native plants.

At some point in our struggle, we will be faced with one bog left to save. Why wait? Let's save this one.

I think that the tactic of divide and conquer should be employed here. We must face facts - CP are cherised by a handful of peoples.

We must enlist others in our struggle.

The niche that Sarracenia have adapted to, also are filled with many other plants and animals. We must include them if our struggle is to be successful.

There are many endangered woodpeckers within these environments.

This unique habitat is shared with native orchids. Enlist and embrace the orchid lovers. Orchids are the #2 most popular plant(#1 is the poinsettia). That is a lot of foot soldiers to join our cause.

In one bog that I know of, there is a rare corn snake found there. It brings many hundreds of dollars on the open market. Enlist the reptile lovers too.

I say, let's not be so myopic in our vision of saving only CP. We occupy a narrow interest subject. Let us enjoin others that are equally passionate about their own interests that overlap in the CP niche.

More broadly, bring our issues to the awarness of all conservationist and individuals that wish for a better environmental existence.

Tweek

Back