What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. alata rescue, covington la

Originally posted:

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=18458

I thought I'd give an update.

Mike Howlett and I drove from Houston TX to Covington LA yesterday, where this threatened stand of S. alata is.

There was great genetic variation, and we tried to rescue as wide a variety as possible. We probably dug about 100 plants or so.

We found S. alata with coppertops, extensive veining, almost no veining, deep red lids, huge lids, small lids, short and squat, tall and lanky...

We also found one lone S. psittacina, and spent a lot of time looking for more.

There were also huge numbers of D. capillaris and D. brevifolia.

Many plants were growing right in bulldozer tracks; they are amazingly resiliant.

I will be mailing out the extra plants to interested growers, but I want to figure out first how to do it... I would like to request donations be made to ICPS in lieu of paying me for postage, but I need to work out the details.

There still are ENORMOUS number of plants in need of rescue!

Oh me. I want some. How much do you watn donated? Or I can trade platns but I assume you want donations? Do you want the donations directly to the ICPS or to you who then forwards them tot he ICPS?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ May 12 2005,4:51)]Oh me.  I want some.  How much do you watn donated?  Or I can trade platns but I assume you want donations?  Do you want the donations directly to the ICPS or to you who then forwards them tot he ICPS?
I still need to figure out how I would do this, but I would prefer some way to have the money donated directly, with confirmation from the receiving organisation to me.

I don't think Barry is going to like doing this. Perhaps you should ask him first.

SarraceniaScott. Why not give them out through the NASC? Get ahold of PAK to see how we can help. Remember, we are working with the ICPS, not against them. Give us some thought.

Since this is a continuation of the thread I started entitled 'S. alata rescue alert', could we eliminate my thread to avoid confusion, duplication of effort? I would be able to take in plants, but I live nowhere near Louisiana to help.

Is the site being developed now or is it scheduled to be developed soon? Either way how long do we have to save more plants? There is nothing that I can do right now, but I may be able to get there in June. Will there be anything left then?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Many plants were growing right in bulldozer tracks; they are amazingly resiliant
I would think it should be deveoped soon. But let us know. I doubt much will be left unfortunatly.
You know what would be amazing? If construction sites had a big plant forum that thye had to publish locatins and species in there. Then we would know where and when to rescure stuff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ May 12 2005,5:30)]SarraceniaScott. Why not give them out through the NASC? Get ahold of PAK to see how we can help. Remember, we are working with the ICPS, not against them. Give us some thought.
I haven't come up with anything solid yet... I was thinking of letting individuals send a donation to either organisation.

If you have any ideas that would be especially beneficial, let me know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ May 12 2005,6:48)]Is the site being developed now or is it scheduled to be developed soon? Either way how long do we have to save more plants? There is nothing that I can do right now, but I may be able to get there in June. Will there be anything left then?
Bulldozers have already been through.

There are still many plants, but i don't know how much time remains.

I live less than an hour away from Covington. I would be happy to go this Thurs 5/19 and again this weekend. Please let me know if I can help. I have room for many plants TEMPORARILY.

If you can wait until next month, I'll take all the plant you need top get rid of.

I need site location info for Covington to rescue plants.

It looks like there may be more time than we thought. I got permission to visit the site and collect plants this week. I collected only 1 in every 3plants that I found because it appears that the clearing has not continued. The owner/developer assured me that site has been sold despite the posted "for sale" sign and that development IS coming.
I collected about 50 alatas and numerous D capillaris.

Man on man this is sad. I wish I could help, but school and work has me all tied up. If anyone still has any plants that need a home let me know, and if there is any resue efforts in GA Please speak up. I would love to help out and save these beautiful plants.

Back