What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh oooo

Since D. rounifolia occaionally springs up in the sphagnum peat moss from the bale I decided to spread a layer of it in an undrained container a few months ago. I covered this with plastic wrap like a terrarium. Instead of D. rotundifolia I have had two Sarracenia seedlings sprout. I moved these to a pot. I just wanted to report that you can unfortunatly get Sarracenia seedlings in your bale of Sphagnum

cool buy Sphagnum receive free plants don't tell they will raise the price.

I was more aiming for the fact that the company (can't remember if it's Canadian Gold or not) was ripping apart bogs that hold S. purp (probibly that).
Note: I did not previould try to sow seeds in this. I just put it directly from the bag into the container, wet it in the container and then these sprouted. I find this depressing. I could understand if it was D. rotundifolia because that seems to be in every bog up north no matter how small teh area of sphagnum is but Sarracenia. That's just not right.

If that moss came from a bog there would be alot more growing from it then a few Sarracenia seeds. I bet it was contaminated in there green house when they grew it.

No its not grown in a greenhouse. The "shreaded sphagnum" (The other name) is not longfibered. It is like a powder when dry. Normally these companies own a bog and harvest from them.

I can't speak for Canadian bogs, but I'm almost positive every Maine bog I knew that could have S. purps did have S. purps.  Yes, I'd expect more D. rotundifolia to appear spontaneously in sphagnum from one of those bogs, but I wouldn't be surprised by the S. purp.  This doesn't change the fact that when we buy a bag of sphagnum, we're destroying a piece of bog somewhere.

Isn't there sphagnum that's farmed and not just culled from a wild bog? I thought I read about some place in Wisconsin or Michigan that has an artificial peat bog that's sustainably harvested.
~Joe

there probibly is but it may be more expensive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ June 02 2005,8:44)]there probibly is but it may be more expensive.
If there is a brand that is sustainably harvested, let me know! I am willing to pay more for that.

I'll check around but I don't actually know the company nor have I done buisness with them. So I can't tell you who they are but I know at least one company does.

I have found whole dried purpurea plants in large bales of LFS...

It would not surprise me to have purp seedlings come up.

Steve

woah
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I always look, but I never find anything. lol

Wow Steve. I think that is unusual. I can find various bones but thats about it usually

I only find sticks.

Sticks and BONES???  Tre, are you breaking some stones here?  You really find bones in your LFS?  I found a mummified body in a bale of peat once...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

PArt of an animal skull and a leg bone (I think). I did not care that much so they are buried somewhere in my bog.

I once found a ring with a "Hoffa" engraving, but I didn't care that much and it's under my S. leucophylla. The weird thing is that the New York Giants keep showing up wanting to play football in that pot.

Hmm. That must be one big pot

Maybe I should stop calling the pot the Meadowlands.

Back