What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever feel as if you'd like to reach out and...

• Thread starter LauraZ5
  • Start date
So anyone besides me send a rather unpolite email?

I saw that site and also sent then a rather unpolite email. They can't be doing that
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

EDIT: it bounced back. Reason: sorry, no mailbox here by that name (#5.1.1 - chkusr)

Wasn't it Brooks that made a field trip report that he saw entire stands of S. leucophylla cut?

Here is another cut "Lilly" vendor
Cut Lillies

I lost my bookmark, but there is a site that showed people harvesting S. leucophylla for the floral industry. Anyone know of it? It might have been a State or Federal site that mentions conservation.

Tweek

I found it.

"Lillies" Being Cut for the Floral Trade

I thought their was a better site with more pictures. This is one of them though.

Maybe we need to investigate further and see who is behind the growing, harvesting, selling, exporting and importing.

S. leucophylla is CITES Appendix II and is being considered for evaluation to Endangered. That would restrict the trade more.

I think that there is a company that grows S. leucophylla on their own property and sells them. Not much that can be done about that unless the CITES status is changed.

Tweek

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think that there is a company that grows S. leucophylla on their own property and sells them
It should be OK if a company propagates and grows them on their own property but not going out and raping the land for them.

Are they growing them on their own property for their own use? Or are they taking them from wild-lands? If they're wild collecting, they need to be strung up and shot. JMO.

i don't see why you are mad. if they own the property than i don't see the big deal.

I sent an email on the source of the Sarracenia. Has anyone tried to call them?

Before getting hot under the collar, I think a few questions need to be answered:

1) Do they own the land on which the Sarracenia grow?  If so, they have the right to do with the leucos as they wish until such time as they become CITES-I.

2) If they own the land, are they harvesting the pitchers in a sustainable manner?  I believe you can take a third of the pitchers without seriously affecting the plant.

If the land is theirs, and they are harvesting in a sustainable manner, then I think it is wonderful that they have found an economic use for them; that means they are less likely to sell the land to a developer who will moonscape it.

If the land is theirs, but they are pillaging the stands of Sarracenia, then perhaps some friendly education on how they might renewably use the land would be in order.

If the land is not theirs, and they don't have permission to collect, then we need to involve the authorities.

Rather than knee-jerk send nasty emails or make angry phone calls, i think a little polite detective work is in order.

It is far better we establish a good relationship with them, and encourage them to farm their Sarracenia in a sustainable manner, and allow them to continue to have a good economic use for the plants.

Dave makes some very good points and a great method for getting these folks to do conservatation work and help preserve these plants.Angry and accusitory e-mails anf calls will get nothing but people defensive to hearing the correct way to do it. We probably all would like them not to do this but the plain and simple fact is they are and it will continue.

1) Do they own the land on which the Sarracenia grow? If so, they have the right to do with the leucos as they wish until such time as they become CITES-I.

Unfortunately, CITES I designation does not protect these plants on private property. I heard of a case where a stand of oreophyla were dozed by the owner even after the land they was told of their importance. The land owner's rights that precedent.

Yes, I did see a stripped field in AL. ALL of the pitchers were taken and we suspect that the land owners permission was not gotten.

Yes, land owners do have rights which is why I felt that I wanted to reach out and cyber choke a few people who subscribe to practices I find to be morally bankrupt.

I for one never have appreciated anonymous notes in my mailbox regarding what I choose to do with my property. I have removed thousands of buckthorn and there are people out there who truly believed I was going to pull a "Mr. T". I was reported repeatedly to the point that I was on a first name basis with the ordinance enforcers who had no knowledge Buckthorn was an introduced species threatening public health. Buckthorn (Rhamnus ssp.) is a noxious weed and is most certainly not a tree falling under the protective auspices of the Village ordinance we have here in which a permit must be procured for every tree removed and a replacement of equal or greater size planted in its place.

I believe it was Clyde B. who mentioned he was aware of a method in which the entire pitcher could be removed from the rhizome in such a manner that the plant automatically triggered regrowth of a brand new pitcher to replace that which was just removed. Regardless, it is their property and perhaps it would have been best to respectfully request to purchase an entire plant or two from these people at that site where they are harvesting (this is what I did) as opposed to making unreasonable demands that will alienate these harvesters. We've all dug in our heels in the past at one point in time or another. The type of a response is only natural when one feels their rights are being violated. Just a thought.

Back