What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
EDIT: More pictures have been added to page two!! Don't miss them!

Hello everyone, I get periodic questions about what my greenhouse looks like, so I figured I'd run through and take some quick pictures of whatever caught my eye... I missed lots of stuff (including all of the Venus fly traps!) but you can kinda see those among all the other plants. (Maybe I'll try to get more pics... Wanna see more?) Enjoy :)

View from the door way, apparently I missed the view going the other way... all the neps and such... Next time I'll try to plan "quick" tours a little better :blush:

D. prolifera, D. regia

N. maxima

N. ventricosa x (ventricosa x clipeata)

N. albomarginata

N. amp "spotted"

N. trunctata plant

N. trunctata pitcher (That's how big my N. trunctata is Nepg :p)

N. thorelii x truncata (man I love this thing!)

Sarracenia trays (you can see some of the Venus flytraps in the first and second pics)

Last edited:
That's an awesome greenhouse, Andy! Any chance you have a job open ;)?

I think it would be an awfully long drive from Antarctica :p I am accepting applications for an internship :)

Very impressive plants!

Great pics andrew, I love your N. truncata is it HL or LL? lol like your pot for the N. thorelii x truncata.

Very impressive plants!
Thanks!!
Great pics andrew, I love your N. truncata is it HL or LL? lol like your pot for the N. thorelii x truncata.
LL I would assume, since it's hot in here! lol
Everyone has always loved that pot :) I got that plant as a cutting. Here it is a few years ago.
New cutting: http://aaadnedarn.home.comcast.net/~aaadnedarn/thoreliixtruncata4-17-05.jpg
4 months later:
http://aaadnedarn.home.comcast.net/...be somewhere around then I'll repot it too :p
Unpaid?!

xvart.

Yes, unpaid. But isn't it worth it?!! :)

lol sorry no its not....unless they are paid in plants lol

awh are you kidding me? I spend enough time looking at my small collection I could go look at that and help out unpaid pretty happily for a while I think :)

Yeah, just being around all those plants would be worth working for.

Lookin' good!

I see that Andrew's flytraps are in trays under other trays, how are they getting enough sun?, and I know they must be cause the typicals I got from him had very nice red coloration, the Arizona sun must be intense!, but those trays look like are in the shade,.., are they moved?

Very nice indeed, Andrew.

Are you using a "swamp cooler" to keep the temperatures down? How big is your greenhouse and what size pads (if any) do you have and what is the approximate airflow do you use?

I see that Andrew's flytraps are in trays under other trays, how are they getting enough sun?, and I know they must be cause the typicals I got from him had very nice red coloration, the Arizona sun must be intense!, but those trays look like are in the shade,.., are they moved?

I noticed that too. How are they getting enough light under those other plants to be all red like that?

Hello!! I'm not sure "how" it works.. but it does! My guess is it's in the twin wall polycarbonate panels. the light coming through is disperced out in all angles, so even under other stuff... the plants get light. See this image, A is glass, or other material... B is twinwall polycarbonate.. http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/poly-diagram.gif Or maybe my sun is just so dang bright, shade is enough! lol I'm actually about to add more shade cloth (the south side was already shaded, but now that the sun has moved north, it's coming in the north side and just heating the heck out of the g/h!)

I do use a swamp cooler. Although we are currently in the monsoon season (we basically have 5 seasons when you add in monsoon which really is completely different than the other 4) so the swamp cooler doesn't work too well. It is a Master Cool brand so instead of just the normal aspin pads, it has thick cardboard-ish pads... which really is the best! It gives air more contact with wet material so it cools much better. The cooler is rated for 1000 sq ft.

Andrew

PS- I'm uploading more pics right now :)

Diffused lighting seems to make a difference. One of the workers at Peter D'Amato's nursery made a comment that as soon as they move plants into the greenhouse area everything starts to color up wonderfully and credited it to the diffuse lighting. I didn't examine the panels but may be the same stuff.

Here are a few more tour pics... We'll leave it at this for this time :)

A ping tray

Some P. agnata and P. (Yucca Do 1713)

N. Miranda plant up in the rafters of the g/h

Opening N. Miranda lower pitcher
P7060025_zpsfd9ptfq2.jpg
[/URL]
Older N. Miranda lower pitcher (sorry- bad back lighting)

N. Miranda upper pitcher

N. Miranda plant with N. sanguinea vine coming from right to play in the rafters

The N. sanguinea vine going up to the N. Miranda plant

Crazy bog "thing" of D. binata and D. capensis

D. capensis Bains Kloof (front left) D. filiformis filiformis, D. filiformis Fl. giant (left rear) D. capensis "All Red" (the really red ones ;) )

D. capensis "All Red" propagation tray, and some D. capensis "All Red" potted out, with some typical Venus flytraps

A tray of vft cultivars I'm propagating, still too small to sell (cup trap, all green, saw tooth, fang, B52, banded) Capensis "All Red" on left,a nd burmannii randomly....

Venus Flytrap trays

(top left tray is 'Akai Ryu' not receiving as much light as they should, but this tray isn't being sold yet. I forgot to get a pic of the current 'Akai Ryu' tray I'm pulling from, the color is amazing.) You can see them in the far corner of the 2nd Sarracenia picture in the first post (13th picture overall)
P7060012.JPG

Hope you enjoy!
Andrew

Last edited:
Looking great Andrew. :D

Can't stop looking at your red cape propagation tray!!!! That's it!!! I'm starting my own!

would regular glass panes that are dirty diffuse sunlight the same as polycarbonate panels?, I've also seen greenhouses that have their glass white-washed to maybe give the same effect.

Back