What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What plants do you want to see FlyTrapShop sell?

Does Andy grow his own stock? If so a lot of the rare cultivars are rare because they are difficult to propagate and aren't fast growers. It may seem like it's very obvious, but a very true statement. They may not appeal to a large number of specialized growers too but the regular joes are not going to care about rare and difficult cultivar. Not too many people are willing to plop $40 on a D. graomogolensis when they can get a capensis for a few dollars.

If you guys haven't noticed, there is N.ventrata.

Haha! Good eye! I basically added them when I put the Miranda on ebay. It actually tossed me for a loop when I went out today to pack orders and imidiately went for the N. ventricosa and about half way through untangling one out of the tray I realized it was the newly added N. ventrata that had been ordered- funny stuff!

Does Andy grow his own stock?

A lot of the stuff I have up for sale is either stuff I have propagated, or have picked up from other hobbiests (Sarrs). The N. ventrata are some cuttings I took back in Dec. Good looking plants IMO :)

I get what I can in TC obviously, but it's not too easy to be a little guy trying to get stuff when all the bigger places that buy more get first picks on new stock. I just don't sell enough/buy enough to get priority on ordering. And then there is the fact that AZ is very picky about me bringing in stock! I even have to get a phyto and have all the plants sprayed for bugs when they are just coming in from Florida! ...that's added cost and trouble for me. For those that don't know I moved about 3 months ago, so I had to set up a new quarantine greenhouse so I can order this stuff in (yes, phyto, and chem application, and quarantine while the state checks them out) I got it approved on Wed, and I'm getting an update on some stock from a supplier on Monday. Hopefully they'll have some good news for me! :D

Andrew

The N. ventrata are some cuttings I took back in Dec. Good looking plants IMO :)

Andrew

I received one of his N. ventrata and I think its great. I have had it for 6 weeks and its sent out two new pitchers and noticeably increased its crown size.

I would like to see Andrew sell S. flava var rubricorpa, starts from his personal N raff, queensland sundew.

The other N. raff I sent you wasn't good enough? heh

Not too many people are willing to plop $40 on a D. graomogolensis when they can get a capensis for a few dollars.

Hahaha....I would for the D. graomo. I am so itching to find one to buy now. I think it would be great if there were an evenly distributed selection for both the novice and for advanced. Too many online CP shops sell staple material which isn't bad, but it's almost like when you see one online shop, you've seen them all. Selling certain rare plants will be a guaranteed seller, especially if you'd be the only one who happened to sell them at the time!

personally I'd love to see more from the Drosera section in particular the petiolaris complex and the larger rosetted sundews (s. america and africa). a larger mexican ping selection would be great too.

I jumped off the CP bandwagon 4 years ago, and got back on a few months ago. in the process, I missed my window period to purchase a N. aristolochioides; would love the opportunity to buy this plant when it comes back on the market.

I was just curious, as I was going through your sarrs, and well, you have both s. wrigleyana and 'scarlet belle'.
Is there any actual difference between the two, or is one a natural hybrid, and the other man made? Or the last thing I could think of would be one has the psittacina as 'mother' and the other has the leuco as 'mother'... I'm curious to know the difference.

S. wrigleyana and S. 'Scarlet Belle'.
Or the last thing I could think of would be one has the psittacina as 'mother' and the other has the leuco as 'mother'... I'm curious to know the difference.

Yup you're right.
S. 'Scarlet Belle' the leuco is the mother plant while S. wrigleyana has a psittacina mother.

wait what? This is already a tangent, but since it was brought up here i'd like some clarification.

i thought S. 'Scarlet Belle' is a hybrid cultivator. i thought S. x wrigleyana was a S. x wrigleyana regardless of whichever plant plays 'mother'. Just as the offspring will exhibit different degrees of each parent, S. 'Scarlet Belle' was given it's name because it holds a certain distinction from its siblings.

In point: i thought all S. 'Scarlet Belles' are S. x wrigleyanas but not all S. x wrigleyanas are S. 'Scarlet Belles'

I believe you've got it right, amp. S. x wrigleyana is a cross between a leucophylla and a psittacina. 'Scarlet Belle' is a cultivar, which happens to be a wrigleyana.
I think... at least among Sarracenia... that the Latin names for hybrids apply regardless of which species was the mother and which was the father. But I also kind of think that there are other genera where that isn't true. What's with all the taxa questions lately?
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5547.html
~Joe

PS - I want Andrew to sell that plant I saw in Little Shop of Horrors. Get going on some leaf pullings!

Yes you are right, I should have clarified that wrigleyana is not a registered cultivar, I believe it's a grex. In order to qualify as a wrigleyana the mother has to be psittacina . Scarlet Belle is a registered cultivar and cannot be propagated other than through divisions.

Does Scarlet Belle qualify as a wrigleyana though? I thought it had to have a psittacnia mother? Maybe I've just had it wrong the whole time :X

I'm looking for a Pinguicula gypsicola. When will FlyTrapShop start selling these?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but I do not know the whole S. wrigleyana and S. 'Scarlet Belle' thing... May make a good post down in the Sarr forum- mayhaps I'll move those posts down to a new topic.

Wolfn, I have a few but can't say I've ever honestly tried to produce them. Mainly because I've heard too many horror stories of them not shipping well.

Andrew

Wolfn, I have a few but can't say I've ever honestly tried to produce them. Mainly because I've heard too many horror stories of them not shipping well.

Andrew

Maybe you could ship them when they are in their dry succulent stage?

It's just that I'm looking everywhere for them and I can't find them anywhere.

Edit: Also, wouldn't it be easy to reproduce them? With all those succulent leaves, I'm sure you could use some for cuttings.

I need a Pinguicula caerulea. Will FlyTrapShop sell these by any chance? I can't find them for sale anywhere.

Maybe you could ship them when they are in their dry succulent stage?

It's just that I'm looking everywhere for them and I can't find them anywhere.

Edit: Also, wouldn't it be easy to reproduce them? With all those succulent leaves, I'm sure you could use some for cuttings.

Never tried... Because of the shipping issue. Hate to work on propagating a bunch of plants to just kill the majority of them in the mail. But perhaps I'll give it a go. They are now in their succulent form so now is the time.

I need a Pinguicula caerulea. Will FlyTrapShop sell these by any chance? I can't find them for sale anywhere.

Pretty sure I don't have that one... I did at one point but I can't recall it lately in my head.

Andrew

Drosera regia please...

I wish I still had D. regia (either clone!) still. :( I've been thinking of going on the hunt....

Me too. I gave alot of my Drosera away to a conservatory due to space.. and well, them asking me for some. But I would make space for a D. regia.

Actually, I would love to see more temperate plants. Maybe some Drosera and Pinguicula. BUT you already have an awesome selection. Can't wait to order more plants in the spring lol

Back