What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What plants do you want to see FlyTrapShop sell?

Not a plant but maybe people would want T-shirts or Sweat-shirts. Would come in handy at the ICPS conference.

Good call, and don't forget about those of us who are trying to indoctrinate our kids. Children's sized shirts would sure help.

More heliamphoras !!! (and update shipping to canada) :)

more cool sarracenia!!!

How about some more flytrap variations, until we have about 10. Then some more sundews, and then some nepenthes, and finally some butterworts, cephs, and helis.
Maybe you could buy from the people on this forum. The grow lists are expansive.

I actually do buy from people who have extras when they are willing to sell at wholesale prices ;) There are even some people who forward things to me just because they are thankful for this place- My members ROCK! :D

more cool sarracenia!!!

I have recently finished transplanting/dividing all of my Sarrs and so that update should be coming after I manage to get a new count! (No I don't know when that will be- my real job is keeping me super busy. :-\ )

I actually do buy from people who have extras when they are willing to sell at wholesale prices ;) There are even some people who forward things to me just because they are thankful for this place- My members ROCK! :D

I have recently finished transplanting/dividing all of my Sarrs and so that update should be coming after I manage to get a new count! (No I don't know when that will be- my real job is keeping me super busy. :-\ )

Looking forward to those updates :).

Plants I would like to see would be S. "Leah Wilkerson", although I doubt that's going to happen ;)

Also maybe S. Rosea

Dude.. How about a TF owned and operated CPebay. List your plants for auction here. And just like the regular eBay, TF gets a percentage of all finalized auctions?

Dude.. How about a TF owned and operated CPebay. List your plants for auction here. And just like the regular eBay, TF gets a percentage of all finalized auctions?

Me likes that idea and so do I (haven't asked myself yet though). .I'm always afraid to put a plant on ebay, what if some idiot kills it then claims snad and returns a rotted out stump. At least here I'd feel safer.

I think it works as long as Andy gets a cut. Could be hard to manage though.

I think it works as long as Andy gets a cut. Could be hard to manage though.

I kinda feel like he only uses the shop to support the forum costs, if he wanted to make some extra money he probably could do the ebay thing, but tbh I would rather buy from here anyway, and Andy doesn't get hit with two fees this way either.

I've looked into having a listing section before... But in order for it to be self working for the most part- there would be fees that I don't think people would want to mess with. Like ~3% payment processing, the something for successful sale fee and or listing fees to make it worth me to go against my store... I figured all that would probably be more than people would be interested in paying.

More flytrap and drosera varieties, I have looked at the shop several times, but there is nothing I want there, just the basics.

i think people would be willing to pay fees. especially for rare or just really nice specimens it would be worth it

I would be very excited to see Pinguicula gypsicola in stock.

FlyTrapShop should sell plants at the same level as in the most interesting members' collections. Do they have a wish list? Is there a mechanism to send them material, and an interest in this?

I suspect openly encouraging donation of plant material beyond seeds might be tricky legally, but in almost all cases I would think seeds would be OK. If they are already overwhelmed with plants or don't have time/patience to grow from seed that might be an issue.

I'm not personally in a position to do it at the moment, but it seems that members should keep in mind FlyTrapShop when they have surplus materials. If indeed they are welcome.

Edit: I just saw a post several above suggesting that this is done to some extent. My guess is that there could be more of it, and perhaps a "sticky" in the trading forum would be in order.

Last edited:
Anything rare/uncommon. Hamatas, mantalj., etc. Even unusual flowering plants would be an awesome addition.

cwatson1414- I have more, they're just a bit smaller than I usually like, I'll try to get a picture and PM it to you to see if you're interested in it at that size.

RandyS- I'm not sure what post you are referencing but there is a post in this topic somewhere I believe that talks about how I welcome to wholesale price selling of plants to me for the store, and that's even how I manage my Sarr. stock. It all depends on what it is and if I have space. There are definitely members here that send me random things so I can propagate them and eventually add them to the store, it's always much appriciated =) But to have topic openly asking for donations... ehhhh I'm not sure I'm really into that kind of thing. Maybe at some point I could push myself to do it though. I kinda figure if someone wishes to send me something, they'll contact me about it without being asked. We don't allow "gimme gimme" posts on this forum, so to do one myself is a bit of a no-no. heh

NemJones Stylidium had been donated to me and was doing wonderfully, but then crashed. I'm down to a few but I'm hoping to get it back up and going then those would make it in there.

Perhaps it would be nice to open into areas that other US vendors are lacking in. As far as I know, there aren't really any vendors in the states with a good selection of tropical Drosera aside from the usual spread of ZA species. The seems to apply for utrics, temperate Pinguicula, and LL Neps.

Last edited:
Andrew,

You definitely shouldn't have to ask for anything. However, members of the forum who find themselves with a surplus of material should also automatically think that you might be an obvious recipient, if there is indeed interest. I think there is a middle ground which stops far short of a "gimmie" approach, but that lets people know that such donations are of benefit to the community and to this forum. This thread is in fact a "wish list" of your (potential) customers for what they think you should sell. If people read this and see repeated requests for a species--an example could be Cephalotus--do they think you should go out and buy a bunch to resell? If several people sent you a small number of leaves each it could painlessly solve the problem. And so on.

Unfortunately the real "gimmie" attitude is that people don't think they should give back to their sources and other institutions that make their activities possible.

Great point! Thanks for a note and I"ll put some consideration into doing something along those lines, thanks.

cwatson1414- I have more, they're just a bit smaller than I usually like, I'll try to get a picture and PM it to you to see if you're interested in it at that size.

Excellent!

Back