What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fly Trap Shop is moving!

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
So, some of you know that we recently bought a house... So, after getting some work done at the new location, and prep at the old location, we finally have gotten one greenhouse moved. I'm going to go ahead and treat the wood since it is empty and such before starting to get it all set up again but at least it is finally moved! (I think I lost a few years off my life during this. Kinda scary! :crazy: ) I didn't take it apart because I feared with the age of the wood it wouldn't be able to take it (once you build the frame, the trusses are put up top and the side bars really bowed... now, I think they would snap) Plus, I wasn't sure if the screw holes would go in nice and strong again, plus I had siliconed all the gaps in it so that would have made it difficult to take apart also. Anyway, the move went great, it made it in one piece, although we got some strange looks going down the road! The other one is aluminum and will be taken apart, I have replacement panels to go in it anyway... which are also siliconed in, so not looking forward to that. Who knows how much longer till all is in place, but this was definitely a big step!!
Andrew

2012-01-15_17-17-29_931.jpg

WOOHOO! :clap:
Gorgeous greenhouse.

looks great! Glad to see it arrived safe and sound.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

wait :0o: ...are there nepenthes inside there ?

Thanks mass, the wood is in pretty bad shape right now. But I'll get it looking better in the next few days hopefully. (rained today, so gotta wait for it to dry now)

lance, no what you see is the coil of 1000psi fogger line that goes out the back to the fogger pump. :p

Also, it was east/west before, at the new location I have set it north/south. I know that's not ideal for some locations, but I think it will help me with the heat. In the winter, the south wall gets so dang warm since the cooler doesn't run much, and in the summer, the north wall gets more sun... Makes it kinda difficult having to rearrange the greenhouse with the seasons. We'll see how it goes!
Andrew

Andrew,
It is things like this that make memories worth looking back upon with a smile!
Congrats on a nice move. Not as impressive as moving a whole huge victorian home or something,
but definitely up there as far as a worry & a challenge!

Besides, now that your neighbors have seen what you can do, you may get some offers for side jobs moving a few local houses!

Again, congrats! :-D

By the way, how'd you get that thing up on the trailer?!

Thanks Paul. It wasn't horrible... the worst part was that it was wider than the trailer. So I braced 2x4s across the bottom and that's what it sat on (as well as the base at the front and back) This is from the source location, once we got to my new place, it was a mad rush to get it off as those boards were breaking. It only weight about 800 awkward lbs. My brother and I did most the lifting, but our wives and my mom were there also moving bricks and such. :p 8x16x10 is a decent structure to move... Probably would have been cake if we picked up a few dudes, but this is how we roll. :-))
Andrew

Lime, all the cold climate and dormant ones are in a back room at my old house... All the tropical/warm stuff is stuffed in the smaller greenhouse which I moved the propane heater into.

Impressive! I'm glad to hear that the green houses are making the move well under your skillful craftsmanship. :)

Long live fly trap shop!

Isn't moving "fun". heh

Good job getting that puppy moved without incident!

Let's hope the moving of the second GH is as smooth as the first. Good luck Andy! :)

WOW that looks like a real adventure and hey lets hear it for DIY skills if the GH is still standing after being picked up and moved! :)

WOW, don't know if I would have had the guts to try that, good job! Now comes the fun part. Congrats on the new house. :-D

So here is how I tossed all the plants around for the time being...

Warm/growing stuff

2012-01-17_17-42-08_484.jpg

2012-01-17_17-42-19_112.jpg

Cold and dormant stuff (unheated room that gets really good light... Humidifier is behind me.)

2012-01-17_17-54-05_599.jpg

2012-01-17_17-54-20_263.jpg

2012-01-17_17-54-28_17.jpg

2012-01-17_17-54-37_961.jpg

Andrew

I thought the site was moving, I had a sadface.

Took two days, but I finished applying Thompson water sealer to the INSIDE today... The outside can wait. :p Anyway, finally got the other pics off the camera my mom was running during the whole ordeal...

We lifted the g/h so we could pull up to it and the front edge was already on it:

IMG_1675.JPG

How it was strapped inside (and the 2x4s I installed, those are what it sat on for the ride and helped hold the structure together):

IMG_1685.JPG

Congratulations Andrew! Glad you got everything moved okay.

congrats on the successful move so far. hope everything else goes as smoothly as that did.

Back