What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So...

I have been looking for some capensis since I am struggling growing them from seed( I know kinda really easy) and I see Andrew has them. I was thinking, should I just get a capensis, or keep trying with seeds... Or buy a completely different drosera. Here is a pic of how happy my one drosera is
1b4d00637087ecb4d2a735c1f5e4d130.jpg

Last edited:
What media are you sowing them on? If it's something like what that Drosera is growing in, I think it could be not staying wet enough. An established Drosera will grow in it fine, but a seed could have better success in something finer so you're sure the seed is staying wet. Like 50:50 peat:perlite.

It could also be your conditions, Capensis only grows well outdoors here from mid fall to mid early spring unless it's in shade. Where other people's capes come back from the roots with winter mine just shrivel up and die in the summer

I really need to buy peat don't I [emoji14] Well, intermedia have a dormancy right? So they live longer I'm guessing. How long does a capensis live for?

Tropical D. intermedia do not need a dormancy period, but may form hibernacula if the photoperiod is short, it gets too cool, or the media gets too dry.

D. capensis is also a tropical Drosera and will grow fine when kept from cold, kept moist, and with light. Even if they do dry out or get cold, they often come back from their thick roots though. Peat might help or you could just pick up plants (which come potted) and grown them in that, or transplant to your own mix, which they'll do fine in since they'll have nice roots to reach the wetter/deeper areas of the media. :)

Andrew

Wow thanks! I might order from you guys:)

You could also try looking for them in the "trade" section many generous ppl often are giving away capensis or other weedy dews and lovely plants thanks to their generosity. I kno i have a bunch of capensis i could send u but since i can't afford shipping at the moment it wouldn't do much good mentioning it :( Andrew would be a great way to go to have everything ready to go with minimal shipping stress sending a unpotted plant. The tentacles may die off or appear dew less and frazzled but they'll recover well :) Goodluck whatever u choose to do hun

I only sell D. capensis as a potted plant Kat, since it's typically newer people in the hobby picking it up, not bare root :)

I'll take pottedXD I so surprised I didn't get capensis first! Well better late than never:3

Lol maybe my run on sentance doesnt make sence, what i was trying to say was: buying from andrew would be a great way to get everything ready to go cause minimal shipping stress with a potted plant, unlike a bareroot one.

Sometimes my brain dont work lol it made sence to me in a wayvbut my run on sentances dont help lol

Ha-ha, I just realized I don't have a plant funds right now, lol. Well I guess I'm gonna have to wait then.. Winters coming up anyway, I gotta worry bout my other cps(first dormancy)

Back