What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian CP's

Hi
I consider this site a resource - A great local Australian site with a lot of local experience with Australian Cp's.
Particularly infomative under drosera is the "tuberous drosera culitivation " Post .
Take a look http://www.auscps.com/

Thank you for sharing the site with us. I recognize a couple of names from the forum part. This will be especially useful since I am attemting to germinate / propogate 3 species of tuberous sundews.

what are you trying Jim? I'm currently trying erythrorhiza ssp. magna, lowriei, and ramellosa

im trying peltata...to no avail.
Alex

Did you hot stratify it for at least 6 weeks? And by hot i mean hot...like 85°. If you did and its still not working, the seeds are either not viable or aren't wet enough

I don't know about keeping them warm for six weeks. I do know that tuberous sundew will take around 12 weeks to germinate and some species will need smoke water, like D. erythrorhiza. (these plants need a good fire to set and germinate seeds in the wild)
 Interesting thing about peltata I seen this species growing happily in a pot of Nepenthes for several years. Alway went dormant in spring and returned in early autumn.

some species will need smoke water, like D. erythrorhiza. (these plants need a good fire to set and germinate seeds in the wild)

Do you think the seeds need the heat of the fire to scarify the outer testa or is it the minerals in the ash left behind by the fire that are useful?
Than
Lois

It is believed what germinating the seeds is chemicals released in the smoke itself. Fire seems to clear areas of overgrowth where the sundews are growing and this is what set erythrorhiza, zonaria and other species to flower.

Thanx so muchfor you opinion.
I will try some of that smoke Rx when I try to germinate my next batch of tuberous seeds.
Lois

Also, fire lets the lil seeds "know" that any competition is gone, and it can grow.

EDIT: whoops, someone kinda wrote that but I didn't see it...

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (phissionkorps @ Nov. 18 2006,2:18)]Did you hot stratify it for at least 6 weeks? And by hot i mean hot...like 85°.
I di not know about heat stratifying, but it makes good sense. I will try with my auriculata have yet to successfully germinate. I hope it does the trick.

Thanks for your post Belinda. I love the forum!

Back